Apex MDRs advice needed

Posted (edited)

Hi all,

we are booked on a October Canaries and Portugal cruise on Apex. While we are experienced S Class cruisers, this will be our first E Class cruise. I’m staring to organize dinner reservations and am looking for advice on choosing the MDRs. Is it best to try all 4? Do you have favourites? If so, why? Your advice will be most appreciated. TIA

Edited by catgirl411
Spelling correction

I haven't done Apex but did Beyond. I feel like everyone has their favourites so I would try all four - that's what I did on Beyond and then found which was my favourites and went back.

Mine was Cyprus, I look Greek inspired things and also I had a really great waiter and assistant waiter (I had the same table each meal)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, catgirl411 said:

Hi all,

we are booked on a October Canaries and Portugal cruise on Apex. While we are experienced S Class cruisers, this will be our first E Class cruise. I’m staring to organize dinner reservations and am looking for advice on choosing the MDRs. Is it best to try all 4? Do you have favourites? If so, why? Your advice will be most appreciated. TIA

I would try all 4 MDRs just to get a change of scenery.  And maybe one theme night in the buffet and maybe a Specialty Restaurant.  You can order food from any of the MDRs but just bring your app.  Also, on our cruise, it was Anytime Dining which means show up when you want to eat.  Not true for the Specialty Restaurants where you need to book months in advance to guarantee and day and time.

• Like 1

We cruised  w 4 mdrs on EDGE 

We preferred the 2 smaller venues..Cyprus and Tuscan,  but did have dinner at all 4.  Each had its own ambiance and decor..good food..

The very  first night we were in one of the larger ones & were seated at a very long row of tables like a boarding house..Husb across from me..no privacy and orders were   taken and slowly served en masse..AVOID !

We like to go for  an early time, same table for 2 and same servers..if possible!  Usually less crowded, quieter, etc.

On of the larger ones is used for sit down  breakfast and lunch.  We had ..good food and service.

We'll be on APEX

• Like 2

I sailed on Apex this past December and am returning this coming December.  I am a pretty “plain” eater (meat and potatoes).  We did Cosmopolitan and Tuscan, a couple of nights at OVC and Rooftop Garden Grill (we took advantage of the first night discount).  I repeated Cosmopolitan for the oxtails 😋.  I’m hoping that dish is on the menu on my upcoming cruise.

• Like 1

We enjoyed our first ever Celebrity cruise on Apex this April.  It’s easy to check out the ambience of each dining room in advance, then go  to your favourite (or the one with the shortest line!) Don’t worry about checking your app to see the selections available from the other dining rooms.  I personally don’t like taking my phone to dinner, then scrolling through the MDRs one at a time.  Simply ask your server for the “Exclusive” menu.  It shows all the MDRs exclusive options.  Bon appetit!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, catgirl411 said:

Hi all,

The decor of each is really the main difference.  Menu's very similiar, each has a few specific to it's regional theme, but can be ordered in any of the others.

We ate in each of the 4 MDR options. We preferred the 3 that weren't Normandie. The lines were always longer at Normandie and the menu just didn't appeal to us,  so opted for one of the other 3. We picked because of the "specialty items" for the night.

The oxtails were yummy. My husband loved the carrot cake in Cosmopolitan. It also seemed brighter.

We probably ate at Tuscan the most frequently. I am celiac and have to avoid gluten: they were very accommodating in modifying a dish to meet my needs.  This restaurant is considerably darker than Cosmopolitan, but sometimes that just feels "right" and maybe seems to fit the menu more. We also ate at Cypress frequently and could always find something that was enjoyable.

Each of the 4 have several dishes in common, that change nightly. The specialty items did not change significantly on our 13 day cruise. It was a complaint w/ some diners. 

What I would say is that if you check out your menu on the app, you will find something that you can enjoy in any of the MDR locations. Enjoy!

To add, on 2 evenings there was a queue for the restaurant we wanted to go that evening and we were given a pager. But the girl at Tuscan actually told us that if we wanted, we could take a second pager for another restaurant and just go to the restaurant which paged us first! 

We 'sign up' for Early and checkout all of the restaurants after boarding .we pick the one that suites our tastes and lock in a 530 dinning time for 2. 

As stated you can order anything from any of the menus.  We check that out before dinner and if something hits our eye we just order it .

Have fun picking what you like it's one of the beauties of cruising imo