Amsterdam vs Copenhagen

I will have 3 days between doing 2 cruises next summer. The first cruise ends in Copenhagen and the 2nd starts in Rotterdam and I am trying to decide if I should spend those 3 days in Copenhagen or Amsterdam. I only want to pack/unpack once so don't want to split the time. I've never been to Copenhagen before and the last time I was in Amsterdam was 1981. The 2nd cruise will have an 8-hour port stop in Copenhagen and I know I can't see everything I want in that time. For those who have been to both cities, would you recommend I spend my time between cruises in Copenhagen or Amsterdam? (And Amsterdam isn't actually the embarkation port for the cruise, it's Rotterdam, but I'd spend my time in Amsterdam.)

Personally, I would choose Amsterdam.

We are museum people as DW is an art teacher (now retired). There are some really interesting museums there. To name a few the Rijksmuseum, the Van Gogh Museum, and the Anne Frank House. You will probably need to buy timed tickets in advance. A few more that we enjoyed are the Rembrandt House and the Portuguese Synagogue in the Jewish district. If you are there at the right time of the year, the flowers, especially tulips at Keukenhof are spectacular. 

As a Dane, I would naturally highlight Copenhagen, but in the same situation I would go to Amsterdam - primarily because it is not advisable to fly from Copenhagen to Amsterdam on the same day as you are going to sail. So if you want to stay overnight in only one hotel, it must be Amsterdam.
Enjoy Amsterdam and your day in Copenhagen on the subsequent cruise.

• Like 1

Having been to both twice in the last couple of years, I would lean towards Amsterdam. Both are great, pretty cities. But I have to say Amsterdam has a little more interesting things to occupy us, at least. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I LOVE both cities......But if you have never been to Copenhagen, there is your answer.But I do like being in the same city as my ship is on the day I embark.

• Like 2