Forgot passport, Is a photocopy of of birth certificate and drivers license sufficient for boarding cruise from US?

Peteloo23

Going on 7 day cruise tommorow and forgot my passport. Is a photo copy of birth certificate and drivers license okay for boarding? I am leaving from florida and returning here.

7 hours ago, Peteloo23 said:

Going on 7 day cruise tommorow and forgot my passport. Is a photo copy of birth certificate and drivers license okay for boarding? I am leaving from florida and returning here.

Is that an Enhanced Drivers License?

A photocopy of your birth certificate isn't going to be acceptable.

30 minutes ago, Peteloo23 said:

Not enhanced. Its real ID from CA

I believe Jamie is correct, Real ID on its own is not going to be enough sadly..

image.png.106a4741808eb078d990f5a206a19731.png

9 hours ago, KeepCalmBearOn said:

Nope.

It has to be a certified copy of your birth certificate and an Enhanced DL and only on a closed loop cruise.

This is not correct. It has to be a state certified copy of your birth certificate and a Government issued ID. It does not have to be an enhanced drivers license.

• Like 1

Just now, ready2cruzagain said:

This is not correct. It has to be a state certified copy of your birth certificate and a Government issued ID. It does not have to be an enhanced drivers license.

Right, you need a certified copy of a birth certificate if showing a standard driver's license. You do not need a birth certificate if showing an enhanced license. There is no scenario where both a birth certificate AND an enhanced license would be required.

1 minute ago, ready2cruzagain said:

The EDL is enough on its own though, which would have been helpful here.

• Like 1

I have read of at least one instance when the cruise line accepted a faxed copy of a birth certificate in a case such as this. If all else fails, go for it with the copy. Mine has a barely perceptible raised stamp. I have never seen anyone "feel" it or hold it up to the light to see the seal.

Keep in mind that there are several islands which require a passport for admission, and the ship may turn you away if those are on the itinerary. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Peteloo23 said:

I have been thinking about you all morning. I can't imagine how devastating it would be to miss a cruise for this reason. I wish you the best of luck boarding with the documentation you have available. Please let us know how it turns out. *fingers crossed*

12 hours ago, KeepCalmBearOn said:

Nope.

It has to be a certified copy of your birth certificate and an Enhanced DL and only on a closed loop cruise.

it doesn't have to be an enhanced DL.  Only 5 states give out enhanced driver's licenses

14 hours ago, Peteloo23 said:

So, are you on the ship?

2 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

it doesn't have to be an enhanced DL.  Only 5 states give out enhanced driver's licenses

It takes a driver's license recognized for Federal Identification.

5 hours ago, ready2cruzagain said:

And a Government issued ID that is valid for Federal Identification. Not just any Government issued ID will do. In CA it is called a Real ID. Not every driver's license issued is valid for Federal Identification.

Instead of being pedantic, people should tell the OP exactly what he needs.

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, KeepCalmBearOn said:

And a Government issued ID that is valid for Federal Identification. Not just any Government issued ID will do. In CA it is called a Real ID. Not every driver's license issued is valid for Federal Identification.

Instead of being pedantic, people should tell the OP exactly what he needs.

this is not true.  A government issued ID is all you need.  You're the one putting out false information, which doesn't matter much at this point since the OP's cruise leaves today

Edited by dbrown84

32 minutes ago, KeepCalmBearOn said:

It takes a driver's license recognized for Federal Identification.

it does not require such an ID.  And I was pointing out that you don't need an enhanced ID as you posted earlier.  Especially since most folks can't even get an enhanced ID

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

This is from the CBP website:

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as an Enhanced Driver's License (EDL), a government-issued birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born) or passport, and if 16 or older, a government issued driver's license, picture ID, denoting photo, name, and date of birth. The Enhanced Driver's License (EDL) allows you to re-enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean. The EDL is only accepted at land and sea border crossings, not for air travel. An U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original, notarized or certified copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issues by Department of State, (DOS) and/or Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

https://cbpcomplaints.cbp.gov/s/article/Article1378?language=en_US

The critical point for leaving the USA on a cruise is proving citizenship, EDL does do that, Real ID does not as it is available to non-citizens.

Edited by Mark_T
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cellfree said:

So, are you on the ship?

This is the important question as I'm sure we are all hoping that the OP gets to go on their cruise, and their experience in how it was handled at the port would be helpful for a lot of people...

I really hope the OP comes back and updates us. I was stressed out all day yesterday on their behalf. It is a truly terrible situation to end up in and I know what it is like to make a big mistake like this and really beat yourself up about it.