Forgot passport, Is a photocopy of of birth certificate and drivers license sufficient for boarding cruise from US?

Peteloo23

On 5/18/2024 at 11:55 PM, Peteloo23 said:

Going on 7 day cruise tommorow and forgot my passport. Is a photo copy of birth certificate and drivers license okay for boarding? I am leaving from florida and returning here.

We are all wondering the outcome!

You need to prove two things, your identity and your citizenship.

A Passport or Enhanced License does both and is only one document.

Real ID does not have the level of protection from forgery that EDL and Passport has.

The Birth Certificate that is missed from a government agency that tracks births in the county/city you were born in (usually something called Vital Records) proves citizenship and can't be an electronic copy.

Then to prove your identity you need original not photocopied identification like a driver licenses  or State ID. Again can't be a copy. 

On 5/19/2024 at 4:50 PM, Mark_T said:

This is from the CBP website:

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as an Enhanced Driver's License (EDL), a government-issued birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born) or passport, and if 16 or older, a government issued driver's license, picture ID, denoting photo, name, and date of birth. The Enhanced Driver's License (EDL) allows you to re-enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean. The EDL is only accepted at land and sea border crossings, not for air travel. An U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original, notarized or certified copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issues by Department of State, (DOS) and/or Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

https://cbpcomplaints.cbp.gov/s/article/Article1378?language=en_US

The critical point for leaving the USA on a cruise is proving citizenship, EDL does do that, Real ID does not as it is available to non-citizens.

The important thing to realize is that what the minimum Government requirements are does not need to match what the cruise line requires. Carriers (e.g., airlines, cruise lines, etc.) often have policies that are more restrictive than what the Government requires to meet all possible conditions. And you could be denied boarding if you do not follow the carrier's rules.  

Thank you all for the good luck and support. I am happy to say I am onboard sailing as I type. I presented a copy of my certified BC (printed only hours prior to my cruise) along with my CA real ID (not enhanced DL, this is not available in CA). I had no questions whatsoever asked at the pre-screen (the person who verifies documents prior to the security baggage screen) and at the check-in counter with the cruise line it was a quick process- no problems whatsoever.  
After scouring the web for 2 hours the night before I found several posts on reddit where people say carnival and royal carribean had allowed emailed or faxed copies of BC’s the day of boarding. One post said its fairly common in galveston for people to forgot their BC’s and then the cruiseline agent would ask them to have a family member email it to them. So after reading that post I was fairly confident I would be okay but I created this post here to confirm my situation. Hence, after seeing all the “no’s”, “the copy wouldn’t be okay”,  I became quite worried. Morning of the cruise my only option was to try and see what happens. Fortunately, it worked out for me but I am curious now if there are any actual data points on people being refused boarding due to having a photo-copied BC? 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Peteloo23 said:

Thank you all for the good luck and support. I am happy to say I am onboard sailing as I type. I presented a copy of my certified BC (printed only hours prior to my cruise) along with my CA real ID (not enhanced DL, this is not available in CA). I had no questions whatsoever asked at the pre-screen (the person who verifies documents prior to the security baggage screen) and at the check-in counter with the cruise line it was a quick process- no problems whatsoever.  
After scouring the web for 2 hours the night before I found several posts on reddit where people say carnival and royal carribean had allowed emailed or faxed copies of BC’s the day of boarding. One post said its fairly common in galveston for people to forgot their BC’s and then the cruiseline agent would ask them to have a family member email it to them. So after reading that post I was fairly confident I would be okay but I created this post here to confirm my situation. Hence, after seeing all the “no’s”, “the copy wouldn’t be okay”,  I became quite worried. Morning of the cruise my only option was to try and see what happens. Fortunately, it worked out for me but I am curious now if there are any actual data points on people being refused boarding due to having a photo-copied BC? 

So relieved for you! I bet you will never make that mistake again! One time I was on the Celebrity Summit out of Miami and I forgot to clear out my safe at the end of the cruise. I left my passport, jewelry, and cash in there! I didn't realize it until I had been hanging out at the Turkish Airways Lounge for a couple of hours, because I had just used my DL to go through security at the airport. As soon as I realized it, I dashed out of the airport, ordered an Uber, and went back to the ship. I frantically spoke to one of the port agents and then just had to wait a VERY long time outside the ship, but eventually, I was brought a plastic bag with my passport, my jewelry, and a bank envelope in it. I jumped back in an Uber and raced back to the airport, but missed my flight by about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, I realized the bank envelope was empty and my cash was missing.

I had to file a claim with Royal Caribbean for the missing cash and did eventually get the amount of the cash refunded to the credit card I had used to book the cruise. Apparently, their policy is that any cash left in safes or found onboard goes to the Pursar, not the lost and found, which is why my cash was separated from the rest of my belongings.

It all worked out in the end, other than me having to catch a later flight, which got me home about 6 hours later than intended. However, you can bet I will NEVER make that mistake again. I always quadruple-check the safe when leaving a hotel room or a cruise ship now!!!

I am so glad you were able to learn a valuable lesson without having to suffer too many ill consequences, beyond the stress.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Peteloo23 said:

Happy for you...but what does "it's fairly common in Galveston for people to forget their BC" mean?  That security in TX is lax?

Enjoy your trip...but I'm not too happy about the "Texas Security" thing.  That's why you go all the "nos".

2 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Happy for you...but what does "it's fairly common in Galveston for people to forget their BC" mean?  That security in TX is lax?

Enjoy your trip...but I'm not too happy about the "Texas Security" thing.  That's why you go all the "nos".

Carnival will take a copy of the BC, and I believe @Ferry Watcherhas reported faxed copies in Seattle.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Agreed.

Those comments are "odd" and seems like bait... 

fwiw - very recently

MSC recently got burned by folks sailing a TA that then didn't have the appropriate docs when they arrived in Spain. The ship got stuck - as the pax didn't have the docs/visas. Eventually those pax without proper docs were held in Spain and the ship went on to Italy.

I would prefer that passports be the gold standard here--- as fake IDs can and are bought. Faxed/emailed/scanned "copies" of BC are not official docs

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Happy for you...but what does "it's fairly common in Galveston for people to forget their BC" mean?  That security in TX is lax? Enjoy your trip...but I'm not too happy about the "Texas Security" thing.

This is pretty much my feeling about TSA anyplace.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Fogfog said:

I would prefer that passports be the gold standard here--- as fake IDs can and are bought.

you know that fake passport are bought also???

I'm surprised nobody on this thread has brought up that even though you can board a closed loop cruise with just a BC or EDL, you'd better not have an event that requires you to fly home from one of the international port stops since a passport is required for air travel...

5 hours ago, Av8tor said:

I'm surprised nobody on this thread has brought up that even though you can board a closed loop cruise with just a BC or EDL, you'd better not have an event that requires you to fly home from one of the international port stops since a passport is required for air travel...

That's because this thread is about a specific cruiser in a specific situation. This person owns a passport, but they accidentally left it at home for this specific cruise, The topic is not about the merits of only using a DL and BC. The topic is about whether it would suffice in this very specific instance.

@KINGBOBOFTHENORTH Brings up a good point though. Hopefully @cellfree won't have any challenges disembarking the ship at the end of their sailing!!!

@JamieLogical pro tip from Flight Attendants - put ONE of the shoes you intend to wear disembarking IN THE SAFE (you can wrap it in the provided shower cap if needed).  Set one shoe out and when you are getting ready to leave you won't forget to check the safe.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, cellfree said:

@JamieLogicaljust curious, why do you think I am on a ship without a passport?

Oops sorry, mistook you for the OP! That's what I get for posting at 6:00am on my way out the door to attend a conference!

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

It's not what the cruise line accepts for departure, it's what U.S. Immigration accepts upon arrival.

They have facial recognition at many U.S. entry points now.  In Brooklyn we never had to show an ID.  They scanned us and we were done.  Of course if they stop you you will have to show your documents.

Just now, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

They have facial recognition at many U.S. entry points now.  In Brooklyn we never had to show an ID.  They scanned us and we were done.  Of course if they stop you you will have to show your documents.

This is why i think photo copy of BC or original copy of BC is not a determining factor. 
1.) BC’s come in all different colored papers, with/without seals, different inks. Its very  time consuming and difficult for tsa or cruiseline agents to identify an original or photocopied BC. I still havent found one data point on the internet of a person being refused boarding due to a photo copied printed BC.

2.) facial recognition seems to be the norm and the future. For getting on and off two ports I was only told  to show my cruise card (no id required) which I did.

3.) if i recall correctly on my last cruise several months back nobody asked to check passport when I returned. It was only facial recognition.

4.) not sure if it matters but i have global entry.