Dressy-ish white sandals for Italy

Posted (edited)

We went shopping today and we were successful in buying everything we still had on our list (clothing wise), except a pair of white sandals that are dressy enough for dinner in a nice dress, but comfortable enough to walk the streets of Rome (and other Italian cities) long enough to walk to a restaurant and maybe do a little shopping. Not something I’d tour in all day. I plan to bring my Brooks and Birkenstocks for major walking. 

Edited to add: good arch support is a must for my high arches. 

Edited by NCteacherlovescruising

15 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

a pair of white sandals that are dressy enough for dinner in a nice dress, but comfortable enough to walk the streets of Rome (and other Italian cities)

It is Italy.  Stores selling beautiful  leather bags and footwear are literally everywhere and you will be spoiled for choice.

Wait until you get there to buy.😀

• Like 1

Those wedges are cute but I wouldn't recommend them for walking.

I went the casual route and bought a pair of Olu Kai Pehuea Li mesh sneakers.  Great for walking and the heel folds down if needed to turn into a smart-looking mule.  They were my shoes for the majority of my day walking and all of my goings to dinners.   I'm not a sandal person, so they were the best I saw.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Those wedges are cute but I wouldn't recommend them for walking.

I went the casual route and bought a pair of Olu Kai Pehuea Li mesh sneakers.  Great for walking and the heel folds down if needed to turn into a smart-looking mule.  They were my shoes for the majority of my day walking and all of my goings to dinners.   I'm not a sandal person, so they were the best I saw.

I will be walking in comfortable shoes by day.  I would like something nicer for some of our dinners and would also use them on the ship.

Posted (edited)

I understand you wanting something a little dressier, but I have to agree with slidergirl.  Cobblestones and uneven surfaces are very common, and I've seen too many people fall while walking in Europe - even just to dinner.   Twisting an ankle to me just isn't worth it to me.  Plus, in these larger cities I'm not sure how white your shoes will be after a day or two.

Also, I always advise never to take new shoes as I've found no matter how comfortable the shoes felt in the store, you're still prone to developing a blister(s).  I tend to take shoes that I've worn often, and then plan on throwing them away before coming home (that is after shopping for new ones in Italy).  

Edited by Girr
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

I'd agree, buy the shoes when you get there (nice permanent memento!) AFTER you've had a day or two walking on European pavements to judge whether you can do heels or not.

I'd suggest looking at Geox. They were my first thought for 'dressy' walkable sandals anyway, and after I checked, I found they're Italian too. 

And buy plasters and a blister gel/stick regardless (like https://www.compeed.co.uk/product/anti-blister-stick/)

Edited by rhiannon84
add anti-blister info
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Girr said:

I understand you wanting something a little dressier, but I have to agree with slidergirl.  Cobblestones and uneven surfaces are very common, and I've seen too many people fall while walking in Europe - even just to dinner.   Twisting an ankle to me just isn't worth it to me.  Plus, in these larger cities I'm not sure how white your shoes will be after a day or two.

Also, I always advise never to take new shoes as I've found no matter how comfortable the shoes felt in the store, you're still prone to developing a blister(s).  I tend to take shoes that I've worn often, and then plan on throwing them away before coming home (that is after shopping for new ones in Italy).  

My every day comfortable white sandals are Birkenstocks. They are perfect for my job as a teacher, but I’d feel like they ruined my look for a nice dinner. In fact, I often wear heals (Danskos) even at work where I’m on my feet a lot when I wear a nicer dress. However, I realize that’s not the same as waking the streets of Rome. 

Italian women wear spiked heels and walk all over the city.  Absent their experience (and maybe some gene that outsiders don't have) you can just walk slowly and pay attention to where you place your feet.  I wouldn't want to walk a mile like that, but a short stroll to a restaurant doesn't sound out of the realm of possibility.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

Italian women wear spiked heels and walk all over the city.  Absent their experience (and maybe some gene that outsiders don't have) you can just walk slowly and pay attention to where you place your feet.  I wouldn't want to walk a mile like that, but a short stroll to a restaurant doesn't sound out of the realm of possibility.

I assumed as much.  We have reservations at Ristorante Moma.  I can't imagine walking into a restaurant with a Michelin Star and not having proper shoes on.  

On 5/19/2024 at 3:19 PM, NCteacherlovescruising said:

We went shopping today and we were successful in buying everything we still had on our list (clothing wise), except a pair of white sandals that are dressy enough for dinner in a nice dress, but comfortable enough to walk the streets of Rome (and other Italian cities) long enough to walk to a restaurant and maybe do a little shopping. Not something I’d tour in all day. I plan to bring my Brooks and Birkenstocks for major walking. 

Edited to add: good arch support is a must for my high arches. 

I wanted something similar for our Spain Intensive.  I did bring walking shoes for long excursions but I wanted something that could fill both roles. I bought a pair of SAS sandals… on sale as they are expensive.  But they are comfortable and can be a little dressier.  I wanted something in the light blues, not white, but here is the type of shoe I’m talking about.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SoBaycruiser said:

I wanted something similar for our Spain Intensive.  I did bring walking shoes for long excursions but I wanted something that could fill both roles. I bought a pair of SAS sandals… on sale as they are expensive.  But they are comfortable and can be a little dressier.  I wanted something in the light blues, not white, but here is the type of shoe I’m talking about.

I did see something on that website with a little wedge. I’ve never worn that brand, not sure how much arch support they offer. I could try them in person. 

4 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I did see something on that website with a little wedge. I’ve never worn that brand, not sure how much arch support they offer. I could try them in person. 

I have a super high arch and felt they provided nice support (for a sandal).

Before my first trip to Europe in 2019 I asked the same thing and someone recommended Aetrex. Lord were they right! They are my favorite and so comfortable.  The Jillian brand is my favorite.  A bit expensive but here I am 5 years later still wearing them.

https://www.aetrex.com/jillian-braided-quarter-strap-white-SC453W.html?dwvar_SC453W_color=white&quantity=1

• Thanks 1

Since you mentioned Birkenstocks, I'm going to suggest the Madrid big buckle sandals in white -

https://www.birkenstock.com/ca/madrid-big-buckle-natural-leather/madridbigbuckle-smoothleatherbigbuckle-naturalleather-0-eva-w_2.html#prefn1=refinementColor&prefv1=White&sz=96

Not necessarily 'dressy', but cute to wear with a dress. I have the cream colored ones and love them.

OK.  You didn't like my Olu Kai idea...  That's OK.  I don't wear sandals, but, if you would go with silver look at Kork-Ease Mullica wedges.  I had a pair of their tan Myra Classics a while back to go with a long tank dress for an event.  As comfy as I could get in a pair of wedge sandals.  

Oh I've gone into Michelin 2 star joints with a casual shoe - no one screamed in horror 😉

4 hours ago, kapper said:

Since you mentioned Birkenstocks, I'm going to suggest the Madrid big buckle sandals in white -

https://www.birkenstock.com/ca/madrid-big-buckle-natural-leather/madridbigbuckle-smoothleatherbigbuckle-naturalleather-0-eva-w_2.html#prefn1=refinementColor&prefv1=White&sz=96

Not necessarily 'dressy', but cute to wear with a dress. I have the cream colored ones and love them.

Those are something I’d wear, but I don’t want something so similar to my other Birkenstocks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

OK.  You didn't like my Olu Kai idea...  That's OK.  I don't wear sandals, but, if you would go with silver look at Kork-Ease Mullica wedges.  I had a pair of their tan Myra Classics a while back to go with a long tank dress for an event.  As comfy as I could get in a pair of wedge sandals.  

Oh I've gone into Michelin 2 star joints with a casual shoe - no one screamed in horror 😉

The Kirk-ease wedges were cute but I didn’t see silver either. I really want white (or maybe pink) because it would match several dresses I’m taking. I am leaning toward just buying something in Rome. 

• Like 1

On 5/24/2024 at 3:17 PM, NCteacherlovescruising said:

The Kirk-ease wedges were cute but I didn’t see silver either. I really want white (or maybe pink) because it would match several dresses I’m taking. I am leaning toward just buying something in Rome. 

Things may have changed in the last decade, but I thought the Italian shoes were quite narrow.  While buying shoes in Italy might sound like fun, it also will put pressure on you if you are counting on them at the beginning of your trip.

I just bought two pairs of white sandals to bring. One is Taos. Not dressy, but cuter than my Birkenstocks, but seem just as comfortable.  I also got a pair of wedge heels that I will probably wear to the nicer restaurant and for dinner on the ship. 

I got Geox in Verona and loved them, they turned out to be a worthwhile investment that carried memories. The shoes were super comfortable (tiny bit of break in period required) and lasted SO long, high praise from someone who is hard on shoes. They have lots of stylish choices (nope don't work for a shoe company. 😂)

Might be a good idea, if you or your husband is carrying a tote or daypack, to pop your wedges in there and swap once you get to just about to the restaurant. I've walked on just about everything here in my hometown, and while there aren't a lot of cobblestones, (older areas have them) an uneven surface + height ≠ balance...don't get far.

Most of the stones are uneven, and then they don't sit level on the ground even if they've been picked up and reset. I could gazelle over manhole covers, drains, subway grates, blah blah, but it never worked with any kind of heel on cobblestones...and...it's most uncomfortable because of their density/hardness. Not sure of the type of rock, but it's a bit like marble..which is hard and slippery, this is hard and wobbly. 

I think what everyone here is hoping to spare you is needless discomfort and or, worse, hurting your ankle while on holiday. It's not an age or mobility thing, this is a challenge no matter the age. Comfy feels good and it does often look good. 

Also, slidergirl is correct, it's quite normal these days to be less formal in what were once typically fully formal situations. I did high tea at the Mandarin Oriental in Hong Kong a while ago with a neat casual outfit, it was hot and humid. In Italy, casual neat dress would include linen or linen cotton blend shirt, trousers, a skirt or dress....quite simple in the south. And comfortable. Maybe a bit more color in the north or just add a primary color. Can't lose. 

The ship is different of course. Go for it! 

If you go back, you will pack different for the land portion without a doubt. Try to pack now like it's your second visit, you will be comfortable and enjoy every minute, speramente (hopefully)! 

Really excited your journey is getting close. I remember when you were considering itineraries so it's exciting!! 

• Like 1