Does my cruise need to be paid in full to book dining?

Paid off our Sun Princess cruise for the fall and I was able to set up our dining for the cruise - same time every night and they put us in the Horizons Dining room. We also have a cruise booked for February 2025 which hasn't been fully paid yet. A few months ago, before the dining changes, I had set up dining there as well but the changes nullified our choices. When I tried to re-select our dining on that ship, I was not able to. 

So does the cruise need to be paid in full before I can select our dining options for the week?

For their levels of loyalty that are below elite, I believe you have to wait to be paid in full for MDR reservations.  That might be old information now but it was valid back in 2022. 
Now that they are changing the whole dining reservation system, I read somewhere that the reservation system via the app won’t be available again until mid June.  That is hearsay but I’m having the same issue on my app so, it seems logical. 

Before Princess changed the way the dining was set up, you had to be Elite or fully paid to make reservations.

June17 is suppose to be open to book dining.  If you can not book around that time, then you must fully booked.

I am scheduled for a November cruise and I was able to book our dining;  our cruise won't be fully paid until August.  They aren't letting people with Premier Packages book thier dining until after the cruise is paid for.   I suggest that you pay for the cruise now if you have a Premier Package, that way you can make your reservations for dining and specialty dining early so that you get the dining venues you want.  

Here’s the information from Princess. No mention of paid in full or loyalty level,so?? Sun Princess different.

Our guests have been delighted with the dining flexibility aboard Sun Princess and we’re pleased to extend the concept to all the other ships in our fleet,” said Sami Kohen, Princess Cruises vice president of food and beverage.  “Now whether guests prefer an early seating every evening, or change things up every night, or even change their mind, these flexible dining options ensure that their dining preference is effortlessly accommodated.”
Starting on April 15, 2024, the new approach will launch on Princess voyages departing September 14, 2024 and beyond. To support these changes and the transition to the new system, main dining reservations that already have been made for voyages sailing September 14 and beyond for any ship except Sun Princess will be cancelled. Main dining reservations for guests sailing through September 13 will not be affected.
Starting June 17, booked guests will be able to use the app ahead of their voyage to opt for traditional seating in a dedicated dining room with the same waiter, same table and same time each night, or flexible dining, allowing them to enjoy dinner at any available time and table size of their choosing in either the Reservable or Open Seating dining rooms. 
This change does not affect guests booked in specialty dining restaurants or suite or reserve collection accommodations, who enjoy a dedicated dining room on Princess ships, where no reservations are required.

On 5/20/2024 at 10:35 AM, doghog said:

We are Platinum. Booked DMW before final payment (as soon as I booked the cruises). We have the Plus Packages. 

Same here...we are just about to cross the line into Elite territory; we've been Platinum for quite some time and have *always* been able to book dining before full payment.  Perhaps our scenario is a recent change...

2 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Same here...we are just about to cross the line into Elite territory; we've been Platinum for quite some time and have *always* been able to book dining before full payment.  Perhaps our scenario is a recent change...

We are also Platinum, 23rd September on Sun Princess will then put us into elite for our next cruise.  Have not paid in full yet.  But have managed to book 1st night Horizons Dining Room deck 7, second night deck 6 Horizons Dining Room and also paid in full for two speciality meals in Sabbatini and Catch.   

Posted (edited)

See post #7. Sun Princess reservations not affected.

Speciality not affected.

Main D.R. Reservations for now to September 13, 2024 cruises not affected.

If your cruise is September 14, 2024 & after then you can start to make your reservations on June 17, 2024 if the app is up and working at that time. 

This is what Princess is saying ,so if somebody has different information that would probably be helpful.

Maybe everything is “ messed” up with the dining reservations right now??

Edited by arizonaperson

On 5/20/2024 at 11:11 AM, phabric said:

Before Princess changed the way the dining was set up, you had to be Elite or fully paid to make reservations.

That wasn't the case for us. We're one step below Elite and have been able to book our dining well in advance of final payment. In fact, we have a cruise booked for 2025 that we had already booked our dining on months ago. The reservations are gone now but we had them at one point before this new process.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, nbsjcruiser said:

That wasn't the case for us. We're one step below Elite and have been able to book our dining well in advance of final payment. In fact, we have a cruise booked for 2025 that we had already booked our dining on months ago. The reservations are gone now but we had them at one point before this new process.

The same happened to me. Someone on CC said there was a temporary glitch at one point that let people do that. I am really hoping that this "glitch" remains when they re-open dining reservations next month. 😄

1 hour ago, t&atravel said:

@nbsjcruiser & @MacMadame  If you take a look at post #8 taken from the Princess site it says Platinum and Elite get early booking for dining.

I am well aware. I am also aware that I was able to book dining for my Jan 25 cruise which has not been paid off and is my first cruise with Princess (so not even close to Platinum or Elite). 😄 It shouldn't have happened but it did and I wasn't the only one. And if it happened once, it can happen again! 🤣

And who knows with all the dining changes that post #8 is correct. Princess doesn’t seem to update its websites very fast.

The news reports are up to date, but not always deck plans or other stuff.

I think June 17th, 2024  & after there will be more answers & maybe more frustrations?

More for passengers to report after that of their experience.

Just went to the app and tried to book for my August cruises on Enchanted.  It is a b2b, first is a 14-day cruise which I paid for in full, second cruise is a 7-day cruise not paid in full.  We are both Elites. I chose the time, a private table for 2 people, same time each day.  All went well until I clicked on the “Reserve” under Confirm your selection.  Then I got the error message “Something went wrong.  Please try again later”.