Requirements for boarding

We fly out for our first cruise tomorrow and board on Saturday!  I did the inline check in and printed all the pages of documents along with luggage tags. Is there anything else I need to do?  I do not want to show up Saturday and find out I missed something that prevents boarding. Being my first cruise ever I’m nervous already!  Also how do we attach the luggage tags? If I was at home I’d use packing tape, but we’ll be in Greece at a hotel so I won’t have access to packing tape or a stapler??  Thanks for any advice for a first timer!  We’ve very excited, just want to make sure I’ve got it all covered!

Walmart may have some tag holders in stock.

You could get some packing tape at walmart.

It's not a big deal, the porters at the cruise terminal can make new tags that they can readily attach.

Here's the thing you absolutely need to make sure you have with you.

Identification, Passport.

Boarding pass for ship (it's in the edoc you printed).

Money.

Any medications.

Stuff to read.  (A kindle works well.)

Here's my favorite cruise tip.

Layout all the clothes you plan to take.

Layout all the money you plan to take.

Put half the clothes back in the closet.

Get twice as much money.

BTW, pack your passport, cruise boarding pass, medicine in your carry on.  Not in your checked baggage.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, doolfan said:

Also how do we attach the luggage tags? If I was at home I’d use packing tape, but we’ll be in Greece at a hotel so I won’t have access to packing tape or a stapler??  Thanks for any advice for a first timer!  We’ve very excited, just want to make sure I’ve got it all covered!

Ask at the hotel! But on my forst cruise, before I had my plastic luggage tag holders I actually used a safety pin. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, doolfan said:

We fly out for our first cruise tomorrow and board on Saturday!  I did the inline check in and printed all the pages of documents along with luggage tags. Is there anything else I need to do?  I do not want to show up Saturday and find out I missed something that prevents boarding. Being my first cruise ever I’m nervous already!  Also how do we attach the luggage tags? If I was at home I’d use packing tape, but we’ll be in Greece at a hotel so I won’t have access to packing tape or a stapler??  Thanks for any advice for a first timer!  We’ve very excited, just want to make sure I’ve got it all covered!

Documents sound fine. You need your passport to get on your flight to Greece, so you'll have that in your handcarry. 

You can take some packing tape. Use a nail clipper or just the point of a pen to cut it. 

Check at the Theater for a show schedule for your voyage as soon as you embark and make/update your restaurant reservations accordingly. The Viva is a beautiful ship (we were on her in December) and the itinerary is magic!

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doolfan said:

prior to buying luggage tag holders on amazon, i would ask the hotel front desk to use their stapler and i would staple the bag tags on our luggage.. always worked well. I would also print out 2 extra bag tags and keep them in my carry on just in case anything. Hope you have a blast

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Here's my favorite cruise tip.

Layout all the clothes you plan to take.

Layout all the money you plan to take.

Put half the clothes back in the closet.

Get twice as much money.

BTW, pack your passport, cruise boarding pass, medicine in your carry on.  Not in your checked baggage.

This made me chuckle out loud! 😂 Sooooo true! 

On 5/21/2024 at 10:33 AM, RocketMan275 said:

Get twice as much money.

On board?  Isn't it all funny money now?  and if you're going to the Carib or Alaska - cash is good but you don't need that much any more unless you're planning on buying high ticket items and want a discount - every bar, restaurant, attraction and the ship take plastic. Might be a vendor here or there that doesn't take a card but how much do you need for a trinket or t-shirt or wrap?  

Cash for tips is great- but - again - on board $1 per drink or $5 after a meal adds up to $150 maybe. 

20 minutes ago, erisajd said:

On board?  Isn't it all funny money now?  and if you're going to the Carib or Alaska - cash is good but you don't need that much any more unless you're planning on buying high ticket items and want a discount - every bar, restaurant, attraction and the ship take plastic. Might be a vendor here or there that doesn't take a card but how much do you need for a trinket or t-shirt or wrap?  

Cash for tips is great- but - again - on board $1 per drink or $5 after a meal adds up to $150 maybe. 

That would work as long as you're disciplined in the use of  your plastic.

Reliance upon cash is the greatest way to stick to a budget.

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

That would work as long as you're disciplined in the use of  your plastic.

Reliance upon cash is the greatest way to stick to a budget.

100% correct- but - aren't they heading toward cashless society on board pretty fast - even with tips being charged to the room account??  I know they're not there yet - but what a movie plot huh?  Cruise ships being robbed after docking at the home port / turn around!  

Just now, erisajd said:

100% correct- but - aren't they heading toward cashless society on board pretty fast - even with tips being charged to the room account??  I know they're not there yet - but what a movie plot huh?  Cruise ships being robbed after docking at the home port / turn around!  

Would prefer to give tips in cash directly to a person. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, erisajd said:

100% correct- but - aren't they heading toward cashless society on board pretty fast - even with tips being charged to the room account??  

Nope. Cash is king. Always tip in cash. Don't rely on the cruise line to get a tip to an employee. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, erisajd said:

And if you are going to Europe, many countries have basically gone cashless, only accepting credit cards and debit cards.

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Would prefer to give tips in cash directly to a person. 

Tips I agree - individualized tips and the beginning of cruise tips to a butler / haven cabin attendant - etc