Apex going slightly wrong way out of Southampton - 23rd May

Hi,

Does anyone know why Apex went slightly the wrong way when leaving Southampton tonight?

She went past Cowes, but headed towards the Needles, before turning round and coming back past Cowes.  Very strange......🤨

16 hours ago, Cruise Puss said:

She went past Cowes, but headed towards the Needles,

Do you mean more than normal ? I looked at the path on Marine Traffic and it was only slightly further west. All large vessels leaving Southampton water turn west towards the Needles before turning back east past Cowes in a large S bend to avoid Brambles Bank a large sandbar. Low tides or yachts may mean they go further west sometimes but I wouldn't say they went wrong.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JBare said:

Do you mean more than normal ? I looked at the path on Marine Traffic and it was only slightly further west. All large vessels leaving Southampton water turn west towards the Needles before turning back east past Cowes in a large S bend to avoid Brambles Bank a large sandbar. Low tides or yachts may mean they go further west sometimes but I wouldn't say they went wrong.

Thanks, I've been cruising for over 20 yrs so I'm used to where they usually go.😊

You'd have had to have been watching her as she left to see that she actually went right past the end of the Isle towards the Needles, which only small cruise ships can do. She then made an abrupt turn to port and turned back towards Cowes, and then carried on the route that all large cruise ships leaving Southampton go - very strange. Putting the 'past tracking' on on Vessel Finder would probably show this.

It was just very odd, which is why I put a post out.😊

We'll probably never know! 😁

Apologies to everyone!

I was having, as we ladies put it, one of those days!

Of course it was going the right way - the trouble is, on top of having one of those days, I don't always follow it on the map, only on the webcam - no excuse I know, but I'm obviously going daft at my age (my husband thought it was hilarious by the way!).

If the Host wishes to take this daft post down I wouldn't blame them!

• Haha 1

We're on this sailing. As we were leaving port, the captain said if permitted, he was going to do a 360 to give everyone a view of the Isle of Wight. I'm pretty sure that's why we took that route, spun around and headed for Amsterdam.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, PH2 said:

We're on this sailing. As we were leaving port, the captain said if permitted, he was going to do a 360 to give everyone a view of the Isle of Wight. I'm pretty sure that's why we took that route, spun around and headed for Amsterdam.

That's kind of you to say. I still feel a complete idiot though..... 🫤😁

28 minutes ago, PH2 said:

I feel vindicated now. I didn't imagine it then. I really thought I was being an idiot, but she did go further than usual. Thank goodness! 😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruise Puss said:

I feel vindicated now. I didn't imagine it then. I really thought I was being an idiot, but she did go further than usual. Thank goodness! 😁

I would venture to guess that all of us have had those moments, but some of us wouldn’t be as honest as you.  It is all good!🥰

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Cruise Puss said:

What actually happened was the Captain was upset that Arsenal didn’t top the Premiere League. Won’t even talk about the Cup Final. Cheers…

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, Lastdance said:

I would venture to guess that all of us have had those moments, but some of us wouldn’t be as honest as you.  It is all good!🥰

That's very nice of you to say! I did feel such an utter chump considering I've been on dozens of cruises out of Southampton. Happy Cruising! 😊

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Crown Vic said:

What actually happened was the Captain was upset that Arsenal didn’t top the Premiere League. Won’t even talk about the Cup Final. Cheers…

Love it!  Let's hope he's not a Man. City fan either considering they lost the FA Cup!

(My Husband is a Man. Utd. fan and was having a really bad season until Saturday.... 😊)

Thanks for your upbeat response - made me smile. Happy Cruising!

15 hours ago, Cruise Puss said:

Love it!  Let's hope he's not a Man. City fan either considering they lost the FA Cup!

(My Husband is a Man. Utd. fan and was having a really bad season until Saturday.... 😊)

Thanks for your upbeat response - made me smile. Happy Cruising!

👍 👍