cooking class anytime brunch

Cooking classes in general appeal to me, but I'm a professionally-trained chef (CIA graduate), and the classes were just a bit too laid-out for me. It was just a matter of putting everything together at the individual stations, as all the prep work was already done. It's fun, but I didn't learn much. A little more depth would have gone a long way.

I'm sorry I don't know about the Anytime Brunch. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GMIAC said:

Cooking classes in general appeal to me, but I'm a professionally-trained chef (CIA graduate), and the classes were just a bit too laid-out for me. It was just a matter of putting everything together at the individual stations, as all the prep work was already done. It's fun, but I didn't learn much. A little more depth would have gone a long way.

Considering it is a couple of hours I wouldn't expect a degree from it, but I've enjoyed the ones I've done and learning about mixing flavors and trying things I might not have been exposed to.  Just wondering what was in this particular class.  

6 hours ago, Lonedaddy said:

Has anyone done the "anytime brunch" class?  Curious what they prepare and was the class interesting?

We have done the Anytime Brunch twice (6 years apart),

not realizing it would be the same menu. Champagne/melon cocktail, scones (a good easy recipe), baked oatmeal, an egg dish (egg cooked on top of a pepper, onion, tomato sauté). We liked it because it was something we would make at home but were disappointed it was the same menu.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, GMIAC said:

Just a SWAG: you're not the target audience for a two hour cooking class on a cruise ship.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

Just a SWAG: you're not the target audience for a two hour cooking class on a cruise ship.

Why not? I hardly know everything there is to know, especially about different world cuisines, which are often the focus of these classes. If I took a painting class I wouldn’t want to be presented with a paint-by-numbers canvas. 

28 minutes ago, GMIAC said:

Why not? I hardly know everything there is to know, especially about different world cuisines, which are often the focus of these classes. If I took a painting class I wouldn’t want to be presented with a paint-by-numbers canvas. 

Oh, pleeze....

• Like 2

10 hours ago, GMIAC said:

I have not attended CIA, but I’m a great home cook.  I also found the class to be rather simple and was expecting a bit more in terms of ingredients and technique.  They may need to add a master class.    Not sure, I would take another one, unless I knew exactly what was being made prior.  

I would need the paint by numbers for the art class!  

• Haha 1

We were not wowed by the "Anytime Brunch" class.

Probably because we would not have chosen any of the dishes we prepared ....... either for breakfast, lunch or brunch !

Maybe a transatlantic mismatch of tastes 😉

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, flossie009 said:

We were not wowed by the "Anytime Brunch" class.

Probably because we would not have chosen any of the dishes we prepared ....... either for breakfast, lunch or brunch !

Maybe a transatlantic mismatch of tastes 😉

I don't think I would order any of those items if they were on the menu.  No Mismatch here.

I've never even been tempted by Regent's cooking classes. We're amateurs, but I've taken a few evening classes at the CIA in Hyde Park, and an evening class offered for a semester by a community college that was taught by a CIA Professor. We also had a friend who went to the CIA during the day, and worked second shift with my  husband. We had many shared dinners where we competed to make the best course. We sometimes won.

We're both retired, and I make almost all of the meals. My husband has a some specialties that he makes, and he does all of the baking. His coconut bread, lebkuchen, and creme brulee are the best.

I love cooking, but on vacation (from our retirement life), I love to order my meals from a menu. On a few cruises, we've attended cooking demonstrations from the executive chef onboard, and have found them interesting. But I don't want to cook on a cruise. I've always assumed that it will be something that I already know how to make, or could easily figure our how to make by looking up recipes online.

On 5/24/2024 at 4:11 PM, irishwitchy said:

I have not attended CIA, but I’m a great home cook.  I also found the class to be rather simple and was expecting a bit more in terms of ingredients and technique.  They may need to add a master class.    Not sure, I would take another one, unless I knew exactly what was being made prior.  

I would need the paint by numbers for the art class!  

I took a couple of cooking classes on Oceania.  OK - different cruise line but the same people run both sets of classes (in fact I saw a teacher I had had on O. in a photo from someone on Regent just this week...  I have also had quite a bit of training but mostly for Indian cuisine.  I found the classes more "eating classes" than cooking and I was particularly disappointed with a class on fish which promised to cover how to select fish, prepare it etc and did not.  All that said I have signed up for a class on Greek cooking (love that food but haven't made any myself) on Splendor in April and have dragged my strictly non-cooking husband along with promises that he can eat and drink (I hope those are true!!)   So am keeping an open mind !

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

All that said I have... dragged my strictly non-cooking husband along with promises that he can eat and drink (I hope those are true!!)   So am keeping an open mind !

Make sure he doesn't "grimace."

Edited by Lonedaddy
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

??   Not sure I get that!

Your handle sounds like it a play on the "Hamburgler" from McDonalds.  "Ham-Bah-ga-la"

But I guess not.  Grimace is also a character - a lame attempt at humor.

Image result for Hamburglar and Grimace. Size: 164 x 102. Source: www.pinterest.com.au

Edited by Lonedaddy
  • Haha 1

Glad to have it explained!  (Never go to MacDo as we call it here!!)

Hambagahle is a Sindabele word (Sindabele is a language which is spoken in Zimbabwe and is an offshoot of Zulu.   Literally it means "walk slowly".  But it is also used to mean "relax".  Being retired I try to do a lot of the latter but am not very successful at it!  I also lived in Africa for many years when I was growing up.  Now you know everything!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

Glad to have it explained!  (Never go to MacDo as we call it here!!)

Hambagahle is a Sindabele word (Sindabele is a language which is spoken in Zimbabwe and is an offshoot of Zulu.   Literally it means "walk slowly".  But it is also used to mean "relax".  Being retired I try to do a lot of the latter but am not very successful at it!  I also lived in Africa for many years when I was growing up.  Now you know everything!

I learn something new everyday!

On 5/23/2024 at 10:59 PM, briar14 said:

We have done the Anytime Brunch twice (6 years apart),

not realizing it would be the same menu. Champagne/melon cocktail, scones (a good easy recipe), baked oatmeal, an egg dish (egg cooked on top of a pepper, onion, tomato sauté). We liked it because it was something we would make at home but were disappointed it was the same menu.

Thanks @briar14, I am signed up for the Anytime Brunch CAK class.  Your description helps me a lot.

• Like 1