QA British Isles Voyage

Megabear2

Escaped.  It was a bit of a shambles, I’m afraid, but from previous reports, we were anticipating just that. Never mind, we survived, but Cunard really needs to deal with this and get it sorted.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Well we’ve been home for a couple of hours. All unpacked and first load of washing in!

There was a very unfortunate incident this morning that impacted on the disembarkation process, but I must stress, given the criticism of disembarkation on the preceding QA cruise, that this was not an issue of  Cunard’s making. 

Very sadly, the medical emergency was a very serious one. According to our porter, the passenger had been unconscious for over 20 minutes. An air ambulance was apparently also called, which seems odd being in a city. Clearly, if that is true, then the outlook does not look at all good (the ambulance and paramedic car were still outside the terminal when we left) and our sincere thoughts are with this passenger and their family. 

The impact of this was that the lift in the terminal from the air bridge

level to the luggage hall was inaccessible. Thankfully (and I am very grateful to him, as the queues to get off the ship were very long) the Customer Service Manager stopped us and asked if we were ready to disembark. I said that we were, but our colour hadn’t been called yet. He told me to ignore that and go down to deck 1, which was being used for wheelchair users due to the shoreside lift being out of use. I got a lift down to deck 1 immediately and we were then off the ship within 10 minutes. 

So our disembarkation experience turned out to be fine (including getting a lift down to breakfast - which I’d been dreading), but we were spared the worst of the queues and delays. One thing that I couldn’t get my head around was that as Britannia Club passengers we should have had priority disembarkation, so presumably the only people getting off before us would have been grills passengers? In reality, I lost count of the number of groups called before us and when a staff member showed me the disembarkation order our colour was way down the list and it seemed that far more than Grills passengers left before us. I’ve no idea what time we would have been called had we not been sent off via a wheelchair route so can’t comment but, in reality, we were happy with the time we got off the ship. 

Sorry that I can’t shed any more light on disembarkation efficiency as it was an exceptional situation that was beyond Cunard’s control and therefore not reflective of the norm. 

We are fortunate that we are home safe without incident, and as that is sadly not the case for everyone on the cruise anything else is incidental. Once again, our thoughts are with the affected passenger and their family. 

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Mareblu said:

Escaped.  It was a bit of a shambles, I’m afraid, but from previous reports, we were anticipating just that. Never mind, we survived, but Cunard really needs to deal with this and get it sorted.

I think this morning was ratter exceptional due to the very serious incident with the medical emergency.  We went off 20.minutes later than our time but had to use the.internal concrete stairs rather than the correct exit.  Those that were classed as "able bodied" were being allowed down the stairs with the remainder held.  The lady directing us in the disembarkation area told me someone was critically ill.having collapsed and needing resuscitation.

This of course was beyond anyone's control.

• Like 3

A big thanks to @Megabear2 and @Selbourne and everyone else who contributed.

I'm currently on a break from cruising, with no great desire to rush back - BUT we have a short cruise booked on Queen Anne in 2026, mainly because we will have a chance of seeing a solar eclipse and the cruise coincides with our 45th wedding anniversary.

We have booked Britannia Club, as all we really require from this cruise is a decent table for two, which can be flexible on timing, without any kerfuffle about booking and/or waiting. Selbourne's comments have confirmed that this should be a good choice for us.

We have friends boarding QA today, so I'm hoping there'll be a few comments from people who are also starting their cruise today.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

I think this morning was ratter exceptional due to the very serious incident with the medical emergency.  We went off 20.minutes later than our time but had to use the.internal concrete stairs rather than the correct exit.  Those that were classed as "able bodied" were being allowed down the stairs with the remainder held.  The lady directing us in the disembarkation area told me someone was critically ill.having collapsed and needing resuscitation.

This of course was beyond anyone's control.

Of course all other inconvenience pales to insignificance in such circumstances, and our wishes and hopes for a recovery for the patient, and comfort for their family, are foremost in our hearts and minds.

The unfortunate medical emergency aside, there seemed to be no order at all in this morning’s disembarkation.  Our luggage tags were blue 2, and we were assigned the time of 8.30.  The first announcement implored people not to assemble on Deck 2 until called.  Then we heard blue being called, followed almost immediately by the announcement that disembarkation was suspended due to the medical emergency.  

What ensued after a necessary hiatus was a combination of people massing on Deck 2 obviously before their due time, and Cunard seemingly losing any sense of the plan.  After hearing no more “blue” announcements, and other colours being called, we proceeded to Deck 2, where a Cunard official told us to “just go up and push in ahead.  You’re blue”.  A kind lady offered the space ahead of her, so we fell into line.  

Then, and this is the port authority’s breakdown, no escalators were working, and there was only one lift available for the slowly-moving throng.  We took the offered option of hauling our carry-ons down the several levels of concrete staircase.  On reflection, it seemed to be the perfect storm.

I have no way of knowing this, but wouldn’t you surmise the escalators were not available because they were adjacent to where the unfortunate person collapsed, not because they weren’t actually working?

• Like 1

Just now, exlondoner said:

I have no way of knowing this, but wouldn’t you surmise the escalators were not available because they were adjacent to where the unfortunate person collapsed, not because they weren’t actually working?

Our porter told us that the medical emergency actually happened on the escalator, and that's why that area was off limits. It does sound like a very serious medical situation. So sad.

I do think that the ship should have redirected us to disembark on Deck 1. When we got to the lift queue we were deemed able bodied by the lady there, and told that it was a very short flight of stairs. My friend could not manage her bag, so I had to struggle down several flights of stairs with both my and my friend's case.. 

Still all is well, despite the awful traffic situation at Heathrow, and I have got as far as Reykjavik on my long and winding road home.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, safarigal said:

Our porter told us that the medical emergency actually happened on the escalator, and that's why that area was off limits. It does sound like a very serious medical situation. So sad.

I do think that the ship should have redirected us to disembark on Deck 1. When we got to the lift queue we were deemed able bodied by the lady there, and told that it was a very short flight of stairs. My friend could not manage her bag, so I had to struggle down several flights of stairs with both my and my friend's case.. 

Still all is well, despite the awful traffic situation at Heathrow, and I have got as far as Reykjavik on my long and winding road home.

Oh goodness that explains so much.  How terrible for the patient and their loved ones.  We had no idea of that scenario.  I feel so terrible for calling out the escalator closure.  Healing prayers and wishes🙏🏻

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Mareblu said:

Oh goodness that explains so much.  How terrible for the patient and their loved ones.  We had no idea of that scenario.  I feel so terrible for calling out the escalator closure.  Healing prayers and wishes🙏🏻

Whatever else, don’t feel terrible. The escalator at Southampton has been known to stop. If it had to happen, I’m glad it happened when they were back home rather than half way through their cruise. An extra form of stress removed from their relatives.

• Like 2

I'm so sorry to hear that someone's cruise ended so badly. Thanks for letting us know how disembarkation went in these difficult circumstances.

Safe journey to those still travelling, especially @safarigalwho has kept us up to date since the maiden voyage!

• Like 6

Despite the unfortunate events in the terminal, we were due to be called at 9.50, we actually left the ship at 9.53, so not to bad considering earlier events.  Just as we were about to leave the customs area, another medical event happened, and this further slowed the passage of people leaving the terminal. 

• Like 4

On 6/6/2024 at 8:16 PM, delgirl said:

When we were on QV in december they were using the passenger lifts they also use them on QM2. Makes you wonder if they have any internal lifts. Still love cunard though.

they do have internal lifts on QE. When we had Covid we had to use them to be moved to our isolation cabin (a balcony rather than our booked inside cabin)

• Like 1

Greetings,

We (Margaret and myself) were aware during the latter part of the Cruise of the 

number of people that were coughing in the Theatre during performances. Having

arrived home and not feeling 100% we both had a COVID Test.  YES positive.

Now isolating. 

Next Cruise at end of July so hopefully will be okay then!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards (and keep on Cruising)

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, englebert said:

Greetings,

Now isolating. 

Unfortunately due to the ignorance of some guests mentioned earlier in the thread  I guess it's inevitable covid will be onboard and will spread.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, englebert said:

Greetings,

Now isolating. 

I am so sorry - not the best way to end the cruise. I hope you both feel better soon 🙂

• Like 2