Sailing Celebrity out of Port Canaveral

18 minutes ago, Harrisonkid said:

It's a great port experience just a logistics nightmare for fliers.

Have to agree...I would not want to fly into Orlando and then shuttle or Uber to the port...it's not nearly as close as Ft. Lauderdale or Miami are to the cruise terminals.  It is very convenient for those of us who are close enough to drive though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Are you talking about the Doubletree in Melbourne?  We stayed there several years ago and loved the location but it was a bit worn and torn.  If that's been remodeled that would be a great choice.

Yes, that's the one. It was a bit worn & torn when we last stayed there but according to reviews, they have done some updating recently. We're thinking of heading down for a beach weekend in the next couple of months & if we do, I'm going to contact the hotel to find out what has been updated recently. Can't beat the view of the sunrise and sunset.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Harrisonkid said:

If you drive to PC it's the port to use. I have to fly to cruise . So had to pay for a two way shuttle from Orlando and then find a ride from over night hotel to port. Currently , the city does not have a good a strong cab system (Uber )

It's a great port experience just a logistics nightmare for fliers. I won't be doing it again

Unless you fly into Melbourne ... 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, mrgabriel said:

Unless you fly into Melbourne ... 

You keep suggesting Melbourne, they currently have 12 flights per day with only a few with timing good for cruise passengers.   Unless you are flying to Atlanta or Charlotte you will need to make a connection.  Still doesn't look appealing to me.

image.thumb.png.bd190fee4230b19d512bf72b3bbc1be5.png

Edited by Ipeeinthepools

37 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

You keep suggesting Melbourne, they currently have 12 flights per day with only a few with timing good for cruise passengers.   Unless you are flying to Atlanta or Charlotte you will need to make a connection.  Still doesn't look appealing to me.

image.thumb.png.bd190fee4230b19d512bf72b3bbc1be5.png

My suggestion was more for those who are planning to spend a day or two. 

Only sharing options ... 

1 minute ago, mrgabriel said:

My suggestion was more for those who are planning to spend a day or two. 

Only sharing options ... 

Ok, but I'm still not sure I understand how this is really attractive for anyone.   A quick check of one-way prices from Orlando or Melbourne to Atlanta is about $75 pp more expensive from Melbourne.  You could use that difference for an Uber and have a lot better flight options.

2 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Ok, but I'm still not sure I understand how this is really attractive for anyone.   A quick check of one-way prices from Orlando or Melbourne to Atlanta is about $75 pp more expensive from Melbourne.  You could use that difference for an Uber and have a lot better flight options.

Again, my comment was for those who are thinking of spending a few days in the are prior to or after a cruise.

Rental cars are definitely less expensive in MLB and hotels are priced about the same. Plus, if you're wanting to stay, you have the ocean and not a sea of concrete and traffic like in Orlando. 

That's all I'm saying on this. I have ZERO agenda and am only sharing my perspective.

Despite the name T1 is a newer terminal designed for bigger ships, but RC uses it for smaller ships when it is available. Utopia of the Seas will probably be there on Saturdays, and Wonder of the Seas on Sundays.  Equinox will probably be at T5 or T6 at the north end which isn’t as nice and adds a few dollars to cab fare.  The current port schedule only goes out to September so we will have to wait to find out. 

Posted (edited)

Thanks everyone so far for the helpful information.  I love Equinox and miss going to Key West so that is why we chose this port and these sailings (we are doing a b2b).  For those of us flying in, it is a real hassle and takes a lot more planning, as well as more expense.  Oh well, it is what it is.  Unfortunately we only fly United (due to our status as we are frequent travelers) so the Melbourne airport is not a viable option. 

One concern of mine is that the port is already the busiest in Florida from what I've read, and more and more ships (and not necessarily small ones!) are being added.  It sounds like the port is just not ready to handle that passenger load yet, as well as the hotels and rental cars around the area.  The port is growing faster than the area can keep up.  I'm not trying to be a negative Nellie here, but I wonder how it will be changing going into next year when even more ships are sailing.  Whatever we decide planning-wise, we will make sure to bake in enough extra time to return rental cars, pick up rental cars going back to the airport, or arrange shuttles, etc..  One thing I don't like is how they describe it as being out of Orlando (not that they don't mention Canaveral as well).  Those of us familiar with the area know that is just not so.  I feel bad for any international or other less traveled passengers who possibly don't realize the challenges when they book.  

All that said, I'm sure once we're onboard we'll have a great time as always!

Edited by phoenix_dream
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

One thing I don't like is how they describe it as being out of Orlando (not that they don't mention Canaveral as well).  Those of us familiar with the area know that is just not so.  I feel bad for any international or other less traveled passengers who possibly don't realize the challenges when they book.  

All that said, I'm sure once we're onboard we'll have a great time as always!

No different from saying Rome when they mean Civitavecchia or Venice when they mean Ravenna...but I get what you're saying.  You have the right attitude and I have no doubt that you will handle the hurdles and have a great cruise.

We are about to jump over a few hurdles ourselves as we fly out to Seattle this week.  I've read the airport is a nightmare...not sure what to really expect...can it be worse than navigating Hartsfield-Jackson?  We shall see...

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

We’re flying into Orlando on a Saturday for a Sunday departure in October on Wonder of the Seas. I am working through options to get to the hotel in Cocoa Beach.

I love flying into/out Fort Lauderdale, I am dreading dealing with Orlando. Maybe my expectations are so low it will wind up being not that bad.

21 hours ago, mrgabriel said:

Again, my comment was for those who are thinking of spending a few days in the are prior to or after a cruise.

Rental cars are definitely less expensive in MLB and hotels are priced about the same. Plus, if you're wanting to stay, you have the ocean and not a sea of concrete and traffic like in Orlando. 

That's all I'm saying on this. I have ZERO agenda and am only sharing my perspective.

Your info is helpful. We are cruising out of Port Canaveral in March 2025, and flights are actually $100 pp cheaper going into Melbourne than Orlando. We are coming in two days early, so having less options available isn’t a huge concern. Also, two day rental car through Budget I was able to book for under $200, with drop off at Port Canaveral shuttle location for Budget. I’m still a bit concerned about getting back to MLB for an 11:28 flight after cruise (same day as cruise ends), so would appreciate any suggestions…taxi/uber? Or book private car?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Leaving Saturday for a Sunday departure in October?

Yes that is correct - we fly from Indianapolis to Orlando on Saturday. Ship sails Sunday.

Just now, Georgia_Peaches said:

If your cruise is in October, you’ll be quite early. 😊

Apparently I need to go to bed early tonight…

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lallak1 said:

Your info is helpful. We are cruising out of Port Canaveral in March 2025, and flights are actually $100 pp cheaper going into Melbourne than Orlando. We are coming in two days early, so having less options available isn’t a huge concern. Also, two day rental car through Budget I was able to book for under $200, with drop off at Port Canaveral shuttle location for Budget. I’m still a bit concerned about getting back to MLB for an 11:28 flight after cruise (same day as cruise ends), so would appreciate any suggestions…taxi/uber? Or book private car?

When we've sailed out of PC we have had our own car with us, so I'm not sure exactly the best option for getting back to MLB. Perhaps there is some info on the Florida departures board? I normally use Lyft or Uber when we're anywhere without a car.

What I can tell you is that you shouldn't have any problem getting there for an 11:28 flight. The airport is probably 40 minutes from the Port, then it takes about 5 minutes to go through Security, and 5 more minutes to slowly walk to the gate. A real throwback! 

I used to work in the tower building right beside the airport. We would take weekend cruises and would walkout with our luggage. I'd go straight to work and was always there by 8:30. 😁

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, mrgabriel said:

When we've sailed out of PC we have had our own car with us, so I'm not sure exactly the best option for getting back to MLB. Perhaps there is some info on the Florida departures board? I normally use Lyft or Uber when we're anywhere without a car.

What I can tell you is that you shouldn't have any problem getting there for an 11:28 flight. The airport is probably 40 minutes from the Port, then it takes about 5 minutes to go through Security, and 5 more minutes to slowly walk to the gate. A real throwback! 

I used to work in the tower building right beside the airport. We would take weekend cruises and would walkout with our luggage. I'd go straight to work and was always there by 8:30. 😁

Thanks for this info. I’ve been banking on the fact that the airport is small. I was at MCO last week, and it was a mess! 
My brother was an air traffic controller (Indy center)…

• Like 1