Japan cruises

We are going on a circle of Japan cruise next April, I see the shore excursions are already showing. Anyone been before recommend any excursions with HAL or others? We’re planning 4 nights in Tokyo pre cruise.
We normally book independent trips but unsure how easy that is in Japan particularly Miayako if anyone has experience.

1 hour ago, cruiser man 60 said:
We are going on a circle of Japan cruise next April, I see the shore excursions are already showing. Anyone been before recommend any excursions with HAL or others? We’re planning 4 nights in Tokyo pre cruise.
We normally book independent trips but unsure how easy that is in Japan particularly Miayako if anyone has experience.

Skip on over to the Westerdam roll call for the 53 day Majestic Japan beginning Sept 1, 2024. All kinds of tours and information for you! (We are on this cruise)

1 minute ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Skip on over to the Westerdam roll call for the 53 day Majestic Japan beginning Sept 1, 2024. All kinds of tours and information for you! (We are on this cruise)

Thanks 🙏 

1 hour ago, cruiser man 60 said:

Also browse on Asia ports of call:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/43-asia/

I saw one thread claiming a Gold Mine for independent tours in Japan!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruiser man 60 said:

Just returned from 30-Day Japan & North Pacific Crossing Collector three weeks ago.

Thought the ships excursions we took in Japan were fine but a little overpriced. If you have excursion credits use them, if not do some comparison with third party packages.

One thing that surprised me on the cruise was an added transportation surcharge (HAL explained in a letter that Japan just levied a new tax on bus transportation).

If you plan on booking tours with HAL, do it now as they fill up fast and are soon waitlisted.  We also just returned from the 30-day Japan & North Pacific Crossing and we were waitlisted for 3 tours and only got on 2.

• Like 2

Anyone travelled before know what time you can get off on final day in Yokohama after docking at 7am ? Are there more immigration to go though or just collect luggage & go ?
we have a 12.30 flight from haneda so hopefully leaving by 9/9.30

Keep in mind if you book private tours, HAL revises ports (not only due to weather) and our cruise this fall has already had 2 rounds of port changes in Japan since we booked. We plan on self touring where public transportation is available as we like our own time to visit and Japan has good transit. But we also enjoy and are familiar with train/bus travel in various Countries (and NY). Learning Japanese now.😁

On 5/26/2024 at 6:35 PM, cruiser man 60 said:

In Tokyo it is very easy to use their transport system and do it on your own.

When you are all templed/shrined out I suggest you visit this place it is extraordinary. If it is booked keep trying as we managed to book last minute tickets on the actual day.

https://www.teamlab.art/e/tokyo/

• Like 2

On 6/1/2024 at 3:36 AM, cruiseaholic78 said:

In Tokyo it is very easy to use their transport system and do it on your own.

Agree w/this....and will add same for all of Japan....we spent 5 nights post cruise based in Yokohama and took trains daily (including bullet)....2 days Tokyo, 1 day Kanazawa, 1 day Kyoto, 1 day Yokohoma......No tours...very to get around and see stuff.....DIY worked fine for us.

• Like 1

Hi all. My husband and I are hoping to do a Japan cruise and we noticed that this Sept there is a cruise that leaves from Seattle and returns to Seattle, but I didn’t see it available for next year. Unfortunately we already have a cruise booked with HAL for this fall that we are excited about and don’t want to cancel so we can’t take this opportunity to not have long international flights and yet get to visit Japan!

Just wondering if this cruise is a one off - or if maybe it gets scheduled every second year or so? Many thanks,

Yvonne (my user name of Disney Sheep was me trying to be funny … we have only visited the parks twice! But, we have cruised on DCL lots, along with Royal, Princess and most recently HAL)!