British Isles aboard Regal Princess 7/26, several questions

15 hours ago, SomewhereGirl said:

I was traveling solo, and the bed was made up as a queen so really took up a lot of the room.  If you are concerned about not having the extra space from the balcony, having the bed separated into twins can really open up a room when you can walk between the beds.  The bed direction is different in interior and balcony cabins.

This tour had some incredible views of other lochs and the Highlands: 

Sightseeing Day Tour of Scotland from Glasgow Greenock - Busybus

There are other companies.  I think Loch Lomond was much more scenic than Ness.  Sadly, it's the one day I didn't realize I had left my camera on the ship until it was too late.  😭  Some nice fellow passengers were kind enough to send me pictures after the cruise.

Thanks for the info!  I was starting to be 'okay' with having an inside cabin, but I'm not.  It looks like there's one chair and the bed.  So if I want to come back to the cabin for a little while to watch the Olympics, no sofa is what it looks like or if we want a quick room service meal then the two of us would have to eat it in bed?

So, is Glasgow considered the highlands?  I was thinking it was a little further north, starting around Invergordon?  Since we haven't been to Scotland yet, I was thinking Glasgow would be one port where we could not do an excursion and maybe walk around and go to a pub for some local food and watch the games?  I did click on your link!  I saw that Busybus also has a good excursion for Holyhead.  Would you recommend not just walking around in Glasgow (port) and doing an excursion, instead?  Maybe we could just walk around in Edinburgh instead.  

39 minutes ago, smilesntravels said:

Thanks for the info!  I was starting to be 'okay' with having an inside cabin, but I'm not.  It looks like there's one chair and the bed.  So if I want to come back to the cabin for a little while to watch the Olympics, no sofa is what it looks like or if we want a quick room service meal then the two of us would have to eat it in bed?

So, is Glasgow considered the highlands?  I was thinking it was a little further north, starting around Invergordon?  Since we haven't been to Scotland yet, I was thinking Glasgow would be one port where we could not do an excursion and maybe walk around and go to a pub for some local food and watch the games?  I did click on your link!  I saw that Busybus also has a good excursion for Holyhead.  Would you recommend not just walking around in Glasgow (port) and doing an excursion, instead?  Maybe we could just walk around in Edinburgh instead.  

Just so you know, balcony cabins do not have a sofa unless perhaps the suites do. Standard and deluxe balconies only have the one chair at the desk. Hope that makes you feel better about not getting the balcony.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, smilesntravels said:

The ship docks in Greenock - not Glasgow. I don't think there's much to do to walk around in Greenock. If you haven't been to Scotland, I would recommend planning something for both Greenock and South Queensferry - either a ship excursion or a private excursion depending on your preferences.

9 minutes ago, NavyVeteran said:

The ship docks in Greenock - not Glasgow. I don't think there's much to do to walk around in Greenock. If you haven't been to Scotland, I would recommend planning something for both Greenock and South Queensferry - either a ship excursion or a private excursion depending on your preferences.

Thanks for your response to this post and a previous post, Navy Veteran.  One thing, I know it docks in Greenock but that's the same with a lot of ports... Cobh for Cork, Dun Laoghire (sp?) for Dublin, South Queensferry for Edinburgh, right?

So, I meant Glasgow to walk around in and not walk around right where the ship docks.  You recommend tours for both of those ports?  We definitely want to do a tour for Invergordon to go to Lock Ness and probably not see the monster, but still go for a cruise on the lake.  I figured in either Glasgow or Edinburgh walk around the city, do a hop on hop off bus and go to a restaurant/pub for local food/drink and watch an hour, or so of the games.  Two months until our trip so now I'm rushing to figure it out 🙂 .

2 minutes ago, smilesntravels said:

Thanks for your response to this post and a previous post, Navy Veteran.  One thing, I know it docks in Greenock but that's the same with a lot of ports... Cobh for Cork, Dun Laoghire (sp?) for Dublin, South Queensferry for Edinburgh, right?

So, I meant Glasgow to walk around in and not walk around right where the ship docks.  You recommend tours for both of those ports?  We definitely want to do a tour for Invergordon to go to Lock Ness and probably not see the monster, but still go for a cruise on the lake.  I figured in either Glasgow or Edinburgh walk around the city, do a hop on hop off bus and go to a restaurant/pub for local food/drink and watch an hour, or so of the games.  Two months until our trip so now I'm rushing to figure it out 🙂 .

Princess has a Glasgow on Your Own tour from Greenock and Edinburgh on Your Own tours from both Greenock and South Queensferry. According to the Princess tour descriptions, the drive between Greenock and Glasgow is approximately 45 minutes each way, the drive between Greenock and Edinburg is approximately two hours each way, and the drive between South Queensferry and Edinburg is approximately 45 minutes each way. Princess is inconsistent on their pricing - I found Greenock to Edinburg listed at $94.95 per person  and South Queensferry to Edinburg listed at $124.95 per person. I'm sure you can arrange your own transportation for less if you're comfortable doing that.

Cobh is a little different in that there are things to do in Cobh if you don't want to go to Cork. There is a small maritime museum right at the dock in Cobh with some interesting information, including information about the Titanic. Cobh was her last port before leaving on the trans-Atlantic sailing.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, NavyVeteran said:

Princess has a Glasgow on Your Own tour from Greenock and Edinburgh on Your Own tours from both Greenock and South Queensferry. According to the Princess tour descriptions, the drive between Greenock and Glasgow is approximately 45 minutes each way, the drive between Greenock and Edinburg is approximately two hours each way, and the drive between South Queensferry and Edinburg is approximately 45 minutes each way. Princess is inconsistent on their pricing - I found Greenock to Edinburg listed at $94.95 per person  and South Queensferry to Edinburg listed at $124.95 per person. I'm sure you can arrange your own transportation for less if you're comfortable doing that.

Cobh is a little different in that there are things to do in Cobh if you don't want to go to Cork. There is a small maritime museum right at the dock in Cobh with some interesting information, including information about the Titanic. Cobh was her last port before leaving on the trans-Atlantic sailing.

That is interesting- the pricing.  Since you seem to have a lot of info about the area, I said that I was thinking of just walking around/hop on hop off bus/pub in one of the ports.  I don't think you mentioned which one would be better to do that in?  If both stops (Glasgow and Edinburgh) you recommend doing a tour, then okay 🙂 .

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, VaCruzers said:

Just so you know, balcony cabins do not have a sofa unless perhaps the suites do. Standard and deluxe balconies only have the one chair at the desk. Hope that makes you feel better about not getting the balcony.

Thanks.  I did see in some pictures that deluxe balconies do have a small sofa.  

Edited by smilesntravels

6 minutes ago, smilesntravels said:

Thanks.  I did see in some pictures that deluxe balconies do have a small sofa.  Maybe I'll just open another credit card to pay for the difference, since hubby won't.

That may be true. I was thinking of the Grand class ships since those are the only ones we sail with Princess. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, smilesntravels said:

That is interesting- the pricing.  Since you seem to have a lot of info about the area, I said that I was thinking of just walking around/hop on hop off bus/pub in one of the ports.  I don't think you mentioned which one would be better to do that in?  If both stops (Glasgow and Edinburgh) you recommend doing a tour, then okay 🙂 .

I've done a couple of British Isles cruises, and I don't have a lot of information about those ports. My last cruise was a family cruise with four couples. We booked a private driver/guide in South Queensferry for the eight of us and went to the border town of Jedburgh instead of to Edinburg. That was very interesting for us because we found the tombstone of our great-great-great-grandfather, but that wouldn't be that interesting for someone else. We took the Princess excursion from Greenock to the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo. That was fantastic, and I would highly recommend the Tattoo if you were traveling in August when it is happening. Other than that, I really don't have any recommendations for either Greenock or South Queensferry.

• Like 1

I would highly recommend checking independent tour providers before booking directly with Princess. Many companies have day tours that are designed for cruise ship passengers: they pick you up at the port 30 min after arrival, return you to the port about 1h before departure and refund you in case the ship does not dock that day. They are also vastly cheaper than the Princess excursions: our independent Giant's Causeway tour cost us 30£ while a close equivalent with Princess was 200$. While I'm willing to pay a premium for an official excursion, five times the price is just too much for me. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NavyVeteran said:

South Queensferry to Edinburg listed at $124.95 per person. I'm sure you can arrange your own transportation for less if you're comfortable doing that.

The X99 Cruiselink bus (https://www.lothianbuses.com/cruiselink-x99/) is a dedicated non-stop service that runs into Edinburgh on days when there is a ship at South Queensferry.  About 25-35 minutes each way.  You can use the £12 round-trip ticket on every city bus and the Edinburgh Tram all day. 

With the saving over a ship's 'on your own' excursion,  you can buy a Royal Edinburgh HoHo combo-ticket (https://edinburghtour.com/royal-edinburgh-ticket/) from the X99 ticket sellers at the pier, which will get you on all the HoHo buses; entry into the Castle, Holyrood Palace and The Royal Yacht Britannia; and still have enough change for a light lunch!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, smilesntravels said:

If you want an amazing tour in Glasgow, check out Discover Scotland. Their tour there was one if the very best I did. 

https://www.discoverscotlandtours.com/tours/loch-lomond-national-park-stirling-castle-day-tour-from-glasgow/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, smilesntravels said:

Also, can you tell me if there's the pub type restaurant on the Regal?  It's one of the casual dining?  When I go to the Princess website, it doesn't list the casual restaurants for each ship.  That's what I'm going to miss w/o the balcony, the scenery and I don't mind a little bit of cool air.  I've never had an inside cabin and it looks like balcony get some sort of sofa, and insides don't.  We've always had a little sofa on other cruiselines w/ balconies.

Since you just got back, was it too cool to get in the pools?  I don't think we'll have much time to do that anyway, but am just wondering.  Did you need anything warmer than windbreakers for excursions, or nighttime on the ship?  Was the scenery from the ship when coming into the ports worth having the balcony?  Thanks again!

No pub restaurant. 

Casual dining is Alfredos, the sushi place & Vines (charcuterie board is your only choice)

Sometimes there was scenery, sometimes not--we just go up on deck to see it if we don't have a balcony.

There are no sofas in the regular balconies--only the deluxe ones.

You might look at making a low ball bid on a balcony--I've had very good luck on Princess the last 2 years with Move Up bids (and I make low ball bids)

It MIGHT be warm enough for pools, but don't bet on it. But will be lovely spa tub weather!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, smilesntravels said:

If you take https://www.invergordon-bustours.com/, Tour 2, it will get you Loch Ness & Highlands.

You aren't going to be cruising Loch Ness--it's a 15 min. photo op (on most tours). I did this tour last May & this April. 

Here is a link for Loch Ness cruises https://www.cruiselochness.com/

BUT  you would have to get transportation to where they sail from. Not sure of the logistics.

Glasgow & Edinburgh are both great cities to walk around in, especially if you want to hit a pub!

• Thanks 1

I would highly recommend that you check the Ports of Call boards for more insights into the areas you are visiting:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/148-british-isleswestern-europe/ Lots of valuable advice from locals and those who have done this cruise before.

You had asked a question about Dublin.  We ended up doing the HOHO on our own.  They will have people selling the these tours after you get off the tender in Dun Laoghaire and the tour ticket includes round trip train transportation to the first stop.

We did several tours on our own including the fabulous one from Invergordon that I mentioned earlier.  Edinburgh is very easy to do on your own too.  We took the Princess shuttle into the city center and walked from there to the Titanic Museum.  Actually if we had checked a map earlier we could have just walked from the ship to the Museum as it was just as far (around 2 miles one way).  If you go to the Titanic Museum get tickets right away, in fact I'd do it right after you dock.  Admissions are timed and we had to wait an hour to enter.  We learned we were lucky, sometimes you have to wait a lot longer.

So much to see and do on this itinerary, it's definitely memorable but exhausting!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

Princess on your own options are very expensive.

Greenock there is a regular bus(£8.75 all day, group rates available) and train(£8.80 return) options into Glasgow.

There is also a HoHo that does the Greenock area, waiting when the ship arrives.

Central Glasgow is walkable.

HOHO is good, museums are free great architecture. 

Loads of pub/restaurant options.

Counting house pub is worth a visit just to look at the building.

The return train if early enough there is a pub The James Watt on the walk back to the ship cheap ale and other drinks.

Do check timetable and strikes.

South Queensferry X99 £12 all day ticket(include the trams) from the end of the pier runs all day when ships are in.

These 2 Scottish cities are know for their fantastic Indian curry restaurants.

• Thanks 1

On 5/30/2024 at 7:06 PM, azbirdmom said:

There are several private tour vendors in that area but this is the one that we went with:  https://www.shorexcursions.co.uk/ .  We did the first tour (with Cawdor, Culloden, etc.) but they customized it a bit as there were only 4 of us in the car - us and our best friends.  Not sure what is available but if you are booking this cruise it's probably best to nail down any tours you want to do as quickly as possible.  Tripadvisor does have multiple listings for tour operators in the area.

@azbirdmom We have this exact tour lined up when we’re in Invergordon. By any chance was your guide’s name Allan?

15 minutes ago, pompeii said:

@azbirdmom We have this exact tour lined up when we’re in Invergordon. By any chance was your guide’s name Allan?

Yes!  Allan was our guide last year and he was wonderful.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MyriamS said:

I would highly recommend checking independent tour providers before booking directly with Princess. Many companies have day tours that are designed for cruise ship passengers: they pick you up at the port 30 min after arrival, return you to the port about 1h before departure and refund you in case the ship does not dock that day. They are also vastly cheaper than the Princess excursions: our independent Giant's Causeway tour cost us 30£ while a close equivalent with Princess was 200$. While I'm willing to pay a premium for an official excursion, five times the price is just too much for me. 

I agree, thanks.  We've done a little of both for past cruises- ship sponsored ones and outside companies.  I think it depends on what's offered, the difference in price, and if it's the first port in a long cruise or one where it would be very difficult to rejoin the ship.  Not that that's ever happened to me, and I don't want it to!  I think it's a little gamble to take a non-ship sponsored excursion, which most of the time pays off.

I have done 15 days to Hawaii in an inside cabin.  Location is everything.  Also, you could ask for another desk chair (store in closet) if you feel that you needed more chairs.  Princess did no favors in doing away with Ocean View cabins.  It's either an inside or a regular balcony, neither of which have a sofa

The deck below Lido aft is a nice location, although still pretty high up.  Benefit is the door that opens out to the aft deck.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

I would highly recommend that you check the Ports of Call boards for more insights into the areas you are visiting:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/148-british-isleswestern-europe/ Lots of valuable advice from locals and those who have done this cruise before.

You had asked a question about Dublin.  We ended up doing the HOHO on our own.  They will have people selling the these tours after you get off the tender in Dun Laoghaire and the tour ticket includes round trip train transportation to the first stop.

We did several tours on our own including the fabulous one from Invergordon that I mentioned earlier.  Edinburgh is very easy to do on your own too.  We took the Princess shuttle into the city center and walked from there to the Titanic Museum.  Actually if we had checked a map earlier we could have just walked from the ship to the Museum as it was just as far (around 2 miles one way).  If you go to the Titanic Museum get tickets right away, in fact I'd do it right after you dock.  Admissions are timed and we had to wait an hour to enter.  We learned we were lucky, sometimes you have to wait a lot longer.

So much to see and do on this itinerary, it's definitely memorable but exhausting!

Thank you again for the info!  Since I like to read, but not write things down, I'm not remembering all things everyone had told me.  I was thinking I probably should look at the ports of call boards that you mentioned.

The link for the Invergordon tours that you shared, and maybe someone else, look good.  The only thing is, it doesn't look like they include the 50-60 minute Lock Ness cruise.  I'll have to look into it further.  🙂 

Yes, it sounds like a busy cruise and a bit tiring.  

Edited by smilesntravels
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I have done 15 days to Hawaii in an inside cabin.  Location is everything.  Also, you could ask for another desk chair (store in closet) if you feel that you needed more chairs.  Princess did no favors in doing away with Ocean View cabins.  It's either an inside or a regular balcony, neither of which have a sofa

The deck below Lido aft is a nice location, although still pretty high up.  Benefit is the door that opens out to the aft deck.

I didn't know they did away with OV cabins! I figured it was maybe just for this ship.  W/o a balcony, I wouldn't mind just getting an oceanview.

I think our cabin is somewhat aft, and fairly high up but not right under the buffet or pool deck.  Thanks for letting me know that I can ask for another chair.

9 minutes ago, smilesntravels said:

Thank you again for the info!  Since I like to read, but not write things down, I'm not remembering all things everyone had told me.  I was thinking I probably should look at the ports of call boards that you mentioned.

The link for the Invergordon tours that you shared, and maybe someone else, look good.  The only thing is, it doesn't look like they include the 50-60 minute Lock Ness cruise.  I'll have to look into it further.  🙂 

Yes, it sounds like a busy cruise and a bit tiring.  

You're welcome!  It does look like they have a tour with an option of a cruise on Loch Ness, it's this one https://www.shorexcursions.co.uk/loch_ness_5.htm

And this is what I saw on that page:

image.png.a890e18dd8e26e6e9fdee9fe51a88720.png

If at this late date you are able to book a tour with them I have no doubt that they could customize something that will work for you!

1 minute ago, azbirdmom said:

You're welcome!  It does look like they have a tour with an option of a cruise on Loch Ness, it's this one https://www.shorexcursions.co.uk/loch_ness_5.htm

And this is what I saw on that page:

image.png.a890e18dd8e26e6e9fdee9fe51a88720.png

If at this late date you are able to book a tour with them I have no doubt that they could customize something that will work for you!

That was quick!  Thanks for this link, also.  You, or someone else gave me the link for a place that just offers the Lock Ness cruise.  So many choices.  

Yes, maybe for a cruise this length it would have helped to book a little sooner.  I did click on some of the links and it seems tours are available.  Along with work, I'm going to be busy the next couple of weeks trying to put everything together.  Hubby doesn't do any of the planning.

I see people that either never travel, or take cruises, then on here I see people where it's normal for them to have taken at least 50 or so!  This will be my sixth 🙂 .  Hopefully more to come.

• Like 1