day trip from Sydney to Blue Mountains

23 hours ago, Bubbeh said:

We have a Seniors Gold Opal which we load up when in Sydney.  It's not as good as our Seniors Smartrider but is certainly worth having.  The Opal costs travel at (from memory) $2.50 a trip while the Smartrider gives us free travel between 9am-3:30pm & 7pm till last train on weekdays, free travel all weekends and public holidays as well.  All public transport travel is free for everyone who has a Smartrider on Sundays.

Further to this message, I checked yesterday with the Dept of Transport and Senior's Card holders from interstate are also eligible for a WA Seniors Smartrider too. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Smart rider ,I’m not familiar with it . I suppose I’m a dumb rider.

$2.50 is close enough to nothing but I don’t think overseas visitors are entitled to our senior discounts . There is a cap $17 cap and that’s pretty good value in its self.

FYI see the link below:

https://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/smartrider/types-of-smartrider/seniors-smartrider

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bubbeh said:

Further to this message, I checked yesterday with the Dept of Transport and Senior's Card holders from interstate are also eligible for a WA Seniors Smartrider too. 

I wonder if this has changed recently. I'm from Queensland and in 2021 was in Perth for a month while my husband was in hospital and travelling same bus routes most days, paying cash to get Seniors rate. One bus driver asked why I didn't have a Seniors Smartrider. At the time I didn't think I was eligible as I was from interstate and attended Transperth offices in person and was told I was not eligible as I did not live in WA.

That local bus info is good! I would not have thought of that! Beats the high price of the HoHo bus, if you just want to get an orientation. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, valantine80 said:

I wonder if this has changed recently. I'm from Queensland and in 2021 was in Perth for a month while my husband was in hospital and travelling same bus routes most days, paying cash to get Seniors rate. One bus driver asked why I didn't have a Seniors Smartrider. At the time I didn't think I was eligible as I was from interstate and attended Transperth offices in person and was told I was not eligible as I did not live in WA.

I don't know about that sorry, but I do know that it is definitely available to interstate Seniors now.  You must have some sort of Seniors card issued by your home State I suppose, or at least be able to verify that you're 64 years old or older and not working more than (I think) 20 hours per week.

2 hours ago, Bubbeh said:

I don't know about that sorry, but I do know that it is definitely available to interstate Seniors now.  You must have some sort of Seniors card issued by your home State I suppose, or at least be able to verify that you're 64 years old or older and not working more than (I think) 20 hours per week.

No problem with me having Seniors card. Think the drivers got sick of having to print paper ticket every day or thought would be easier for me than having to find correct change each day.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2024 at 12:54 PM, MicCanberra said:

You wouldn't be able to use the smartrider app to book a train from Perth to the blue mountains though.

No that's true, it does have its limitations.

• Haha 3

On 5/28/2024 at 12:10 AM, Chiliburn said:

If you don’t want to spend the whole day on the hoho bus ,there is a local  bus that does the main two attractions ,eco point and scenic world . The town ship is worth a look around,it’s got a bit of a hippy vibe .

The 686 does a regular circle every half hour for only a few dollars ,the opal app has the information.

IMG_1375.thumb.png.73fbe0729523b4a92f1ae5bfa00883c6.png

I was looking into either the HOHO bus or a day trip from Sydney and then was given the advice to take the train from Sydney and the 686 bus as you mentioned.  

The benefits are that you don't have to wait up to an hour or so for the HOHO bus and that the 686 bus is very cheap and is included in the Opal daily cap.

There are websites which give you a stop-by-stop itinerary with sites for the bus.  Sorry but I misplaced the link. 

• Like 1

On 5/27/2024 at 5:15 AM, mr walker said:

We have always taken OS visitors to Featherdale for that very reason. Most want to see our unique fauna, up close and personal, not so much elephants, lions & tigers etc that can be just like any zoo in the world.

Taronga is great, and the location makes visiting from Sydney CBD easy, but it is the location and the views that presents that makes it great more than the 'locals' that everyone wants to see. 

Sorry but I am not clear with your comment.  If I want to see local animals, kangaroos, koala, wombats penguins etc.  which of the three zoos should I go to.  I am not interested in lions, tigers and bears etc.

3 hours ago, Badatz2 said:

I was looking into either the HOHO bus or a day trip from Sydney and then was given the advice to take the train from Sydney and the 686 bus as you mentioned.  

The benefits are that you don't have to wait up to an hour or so for the HOHO bus and that the 686 bus is very cheap and is included in the Opal daily cap.

There are websites which give you a stop-by-stop itinerary with sites for the bus.  Sorry but I misplaced the link. 

https://transportnsw.info/routes/details/blue-mountains-buses-network/686/64686

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Badatz2 said:

Sorry but I am not clear with your comment.  If I want to see local animals, kangaroos, koala, wombats penguins etc.  which of the three zoos should I go to.  I am not interested in lions, tigers and bears etc.

To clarify, my suggestion to focus on Australian animals is Featherdale, if that fits with your plans. Featherdale is located at Doonside in Sydney's west, and is best visited as part of a trip to Blue Mountains to make the best of your time. The most convenient way to do this is as a day trip with one of the Tour operators, which are not cheap, but you will see everything to see. It is possible to take the train to Blacktown to visit Featherdale, taking a bus from Blacktown.

7 hours ago, Badatz2 said:

I think the ho ho bus would be more suitable for an overnight stay. It does have a commentary and has entry to scenic world. But with the 2 hour train each way from Sydney it would be a big day.

By the time you leave your hotel in Sydney and return ( 5 hours) .A couple of hours in Katoomba would be enough for me.

Posted (edited)
On 5/26/2024 at 4:09 PM, jjduck said:

We are an active couple in our 70/80's and will be staying in the CBD area for a week in Nov. 2024.  We are thinking of taking the train to Blue Mountains for the day.

What do you suggest for our itinerary for short hikes and sight seeing?  Our research is overwhelming with so many things to see.  What would be the top three, for example.

We went to Taronga Zoo last year, Your opinions of Featherdale zoo? (not on the same day)

Any tips greatly appreciated,

Thanks!

We were in Sydney four years ago and did a Viator small group tour of the Blue mountains that included the Scenic World / The Three Sisters (all fees for cableway and scenic railway included), a rainforest walk ,  Featherdale Animal Preserve where we got to feed kangaroos and take a picture with koalas and dozens of birds and of course, one crazy Tasmanian devil running in circles, lunch in a quaint town (included) and a ferry ride back to  Circular Quay.  We were picked up two blocks from our hotel (Marriott) but had to get back from Sydney dock on own. All four of us in our 70's were very pleased with the experience.  It was about 10/12 hours total (very early pick up) and only 14 people with a fabulous local guide.  It was pricey but well worth it. Hope this helps!

Edited by BRANDEE
  • Like 2

I found the link to the DIY itineraries.  One is train plus HOHO and the other is train and public bus.

I am leaning towards the second as the Viator options are very expensive and I don't mind seeing Featherdale on another day along with nearby sights

How to Visit the Blue Mountains By Public Transport 2024 | Sydney Expert

Visit the Blue Mountains By Train: 2 Easy Itineraries | Sydney Expert

The public transport link is in the middle of the page

We also are researching a day trip to the Blue Mountains when we are in Sydney Nov 8-10 before our CruiseTour on Princess.  Sat Nov 9 is our only full day so we'll have to brave the weekend crowds.  Currently planning to take the train and do a HoHo or local bus. How much hiking we do will depend on how we handle the jet lag after a 17 hour flight.  Thanks for the info everyone has provided.

• Like 2

On 5/27/2024 at 6:09 AM, jjduck said:

We are an active couple in our 70/80's and will be staying in the CBD area for a week in Nov. 2024.  We are thinking of taking the train to Blue Mountains for the day.

What do you suggest for our itinerary for short hikes and sight seeing?  Our research is overwhelming with so many things to see.  What would be the top three, for example.

We went to Taronga Zoo last year, Your opinions of Featherdale zoo? (not on the same day)

Any tips greatly appreciated,

Thanks!

I found a nice video for you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

Thanks for the video.  Decisions, decisions. We still have almost 5 months before we're in Sydney so we have plenty of time to decide. 

31 minutes ago, PR-Texas said:

Thanks for the video.  Decisions, decisions. We still have almost 5 months before we're in Sydney so we have plenty of time to decide. 

Planning is half the fun of travelling. 

Whatever you decide, make sure you have/take

Sturdy, non-slip footwear 

A hat/cap

Sun protection 

A water bottle

🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

I have a mate who drives trains between Central and Lithgow (Blue Mts)/Bathurst. 

I bet he has a few stories to tell,it’s an express and drivers supposed to have a lot of mental issues . I’ll let you guess why.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, PR-Texas said:

As the fella said it’s a big day,he took 9 hours.

24 minutes ago, buchhalm said:

Planning is half the fun of travelling. 

Whatever you decide, make sure you have/take

Sturdy, non-slip footwear 

A hat/cap

Sun protection 

A water bottle

🙂

... and an Aussie dictionary to understand the lingo 😂 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

chiliburn,

thank you so much for this wonderful and informative video.  it is very much appreciated!!!

• Thanks 1