Beverage package

Wirewalker

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Wirewalker said:

Is the beverage package worth the price onboard Viking Venus?  Do they have actual champagne or do they consider Prosecco to be champagne?

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Viking include house wines and beer with lunch and dinner and are generous.

Everything available in the beverage package is available to you to purchase above the included beer and wine, without the beverage package.

The beverage package is currently $25 per person per night on Viking and both in the cabin have to purchase.  This would mean that you must be committed to spending $50 bucks per day above what is included.

If you really want to drink cocktails, then the beverage package is for you.  If you are a lighter drinker and the included is enough, then don't buy the package.

I may be called out for this, but I have never seen "Champagne" from Champagne region included in the SSBP.  That will be an additional charge.

Included in the SSBP and the included wines will be a Prosecco.

There has been discussion before where some folks clump anything with bubbles under "champagne" but from how you were asking, I figured that you are looking for authentic champagne.

Edited by CDNPolar
  • Thanks 1

We had champagne as part of our SSBP on Saturn in February - it wasn’t Crystal or Dom Perignon but was champagne. I believe it was $18 and package states any drink up to $18.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Everything available in the beverage package is available to you to purchase above the included beer and wine, without the beverage package.

The beverage package is currently $25 per person per night on Viking and both in the cabin have to purchase.  This would mean that you must be committed to spending $50 bucks per day above what is included.

If you really want to drink cocktails, then the beverage package is for you.  If you are a lighter drinker and the included is enough, then don't buy the package.

I may be called out for this, but I have never seen "Champagne" from Champagne region included in the SSBP.  That will be an additional charge.

There has been discussion before where some folks clump anything with bubbles under "champagne" but from how you were asking, I figured that you are looking for authentic champagne.

Not true.

Just now, duquephart said:

Not true.

What part is not true.  Be specific.  

we know you always have a bee in your bonnet when it comes to the SSBP

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, CDNPolar said:

What part is not true.  Be specific.  

we know you always have a bee in your bonnet when it comes to the SSBP

" --- must be --- "

'worth it' is a very subjective question .... it is up to you to decide.

IMO at $25 per person per day they are giving it away.

For me

- I like a drink b4 dinner and often a drink after, maybe more than one.

- beer and wine IS included with lunch/dinner - I often like a coke or a been outside of meal times. I could go to the room and get the coke, the beer would cost me. With the package I just wave at a waiter or hop to a bar.

- wine at lunch dinner is a selected white or red and IME changes daily. With the package we order from the wine list .... our choice. Not always a fan of the 'selected for us'

-  description mentions 'specialty coffees' but since we're not big fans have never really pursued. I know the 'machine' in world cafe can make capa' and expresso so I guess they are talking about the coffee bar. I've had at Explorer bar too, dunno if they charge normally - I already had the package.

- I put in same category as pre-paid tips. One less thing to worry about at the end of the trip.

- last time I sailed RCCL they wanted $65 per person per day for the same ..... that was an EASY decision  😵‍💫

if one drink a day or less is your thing, are happy with the 'included wine', and are of the 'grab a can and take it with when leaving the Cafe club' then NO the SS is not worth it.

• Like 3

When we used to sail Celebrity, we always got a drinks package. Especially if they included it, which they often did. When we did our 21-night Med cruise we thought about it because $50 a night (for both of us) was a great value comparatively. 

But we decided not to so we could see if it was something we should do on Viking. Glad we didn't. We like a cocktail before dinner and sometimes after. Viking's cocktails are very well-priced. What you would pay Celebrity $15 for is $10 on VO. So we would have one before and one after and still only be under $40. If we skipped one or the other (before or after) we were just fine. Since we were in a PV we had gin, vodka and rum in our room with mixers so we would often have our after dinner drinks there.  All that said, our total bar tab after 21 days was $275. A lot better than $1050. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hobson1754 said:

We had champagne as part of our SSBP on Saturn in February - it wasn’t Crystal or Dom Perignon but was champagne. I believe it was $18 and package states any drink up to $18.

A group of us shared a bottle of Veuve Clicquot and the bartender put it under the beverage package. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Capt_BJ said:

-  description mentions 'specialty coffees' but since we're not big fans have never really pursued. I know the 'machine' in world cafe can make capa' and expresso so I guess they are talking about the coffee bar

“Specialty coffees” means with alcohol—not the machine in WC (not sure if you were implying that.)

4 hours ago, Capt_BJ said:

I could go to the room and get the coke, the beer would cost me.

Not if you’re in a PV or up—beer can be had in the mini-bar.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

A group of us shared a bottle of Veuve Clicquot and the bartender put it under the beverage package.

There was a similar champagne on our Alaskan cruise and my 2 glasses per day paid for my package...and sometimes I even MADE money by drinking more than that!😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Excellent - don’t know if we’d be as lucky😏

10 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

We found when we started cruising with Viking in 2017 that Veuve was on the SSBP on River ships but NOT on Ocean ships.  We drank a couple cases on one river cruise.

We have found since - our last River cruise - that Veuve was either out of stock, or not included in the SSBP as we were informed by the bartender.

We have never found it included in 7 Ocean cruises.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

We found when we started cruising with Viking in 2017 that Veuve was on the SSBP on River ships but NOT on Ocean ships.  We drank a couple cases on one river cruise.

Oof.... Not surprised. About $50-55 USD is the rock bottom price I can find for that bottle locally.

19 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

Oof.... Not surprised. About $50-55 USD is the rock bottom price I can find for that bottle locally.

Here in Canada now it is $92 bucks a bottle I think...  At least $89 for sure.  (Exchange part of that and taxes... ahhh... our taxes on liquor products.)

• Like 1

Also depends on cost and availability of alcohol ashore, on a Norway itinerary the SSP is worth it, on a British Isles it may not be. 

As ever break even is 3-4 drinks outside of the house wine and beer with meals. 

Don't get worried about champagne, there are many sparking wines that are better, particularly the new world ones made with that same grape varieties

On 5/29/2024 at 4:20 PM, Mlb4chris said:

you can also buy an interesting bottle in port to enjoy with your dinner, no corkage

This is an important point.  If you are on a cruise that has very few sea days and the ports are towns or cities, and you like to try local stuff this is a great option.  With Viking you can bring booze/ beer aboard, it's allowed.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rmalbers said:

This is an important point.  If you are on a cruise that has very few sea days and the ports are towns or cities, and you like to try local stuff this is a great option.  With Viking you can bring booze/ beer aboard, it's allowed.

We were on a river cruise over both Christmas and New Year this past December.

We went on a very enjoyable winery tour on the 24th of December and brought back a bottle for Christmas Eve dinner and also a bottle of bubbly for New Years Eve.

Often discussed here and there (not necessarily about Viking excursions) where there is an expectation to buy something when you are taken into a store...  (We felt this clearly on our Egypt River Cruise). We have never felt the pressure to buy wine when we are on a winery tour with Viking BUT I feel almost an responsibility to buy at least one bottle and bring it back, but only if we really enjoyed one of the wines we tasted.  I see this as our way to give a little to the economy where we are visiting.  

I do emphasize however that we have never felt obligated, and I see most walk out without purchasing.

To us, this is kind of special to bring that bottle back and have Viking open it for us.

• Like 5

On 5/29/2024 at 5:52 AM, CDNPolar said:

I am going on a Viking Cruise in the fall and will be taking a child who is under 21 (I guess technically an adult but not for the drinking age). How do they handle that with the beverage package? Do they make the cabin pay for 2 for the package? - I know they use the US drinking age.

2 hours ago, thekeifer1 said:

I am going on a Viking Cruise in the fall and will be taking a child who is under 21 (I guess technically an adult but not for the drinking age). How do they handle that with the beverage package? Do they make the cabin pay for 2 for the package? - I know they use the US drinking age.

See what non alcoholic drinks are included only with meals, might be worth the SSP. Or let the 18+person enjoy a few drinks while on holiday. 

The 21+ limit is for the US customers in case they only want to buy the SSP for one person because of your social/legal situation. 

The rest of us can buy alcohol at 18 and Viking allow (unless policy has changed recently) all guests to drink alcohol

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, thekeifer1 said:

Under 21 can not drink on a Viking Ship.

We have a friend that we travelled with and she brought her granddaughter who was 18.  Grandma wanted the SSBP but could not buy in advance because online and through reservations she was not old enough to drink and both in the cabin must purchase.

Once on the ship Grandma appealed to the Guest Services and F&B Manager and was granted the permission to buy for just herself.  If you really want the package you are going to have to attempt to get this on the ship, but there is no promise that you will get it.

I would say that if you go about it the right way - which is after boarding, and have the underage with you for the meeting with the F&B Manager that you will likely get it.

Edited by CDNPolar
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, KBs mum said:

See what non alcoholic drinks are included only with meals, might be worth the SSP. Or let the 18+person enjoy a few drinks while on holiday. 

The 21+ limit is for the US customers in case they only want to buy the SSP for one person because of your social/legal situation. 

The rest of us can buy alcohol at 18 and Viking allow (unless policy has changed recently) all guests to drink alcohol

Thanks. They don't allow under 21 to drink. It's a European cruise so it is a weird policy. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Under 21 can not drink on a Viking Ship.

We have a friend that we travelled with and she brought her granddaughter who was 18.  Grandma wanted the SSBP but could not buy in advance because online and through reservations she was not old enough to drink and both in the cabin must purchase.

Once on the ship Grandma appealed to the Guest Services and F&B Manager and was granted the permission to buy for just herself.  If you really want the package you are going to have to attempt to get this on the ship, but there is no promise that you will get it.

I would say that if you go about it the right way - which is after boarding, and have the underage with you for the meeting with the F&B Manager that you will likely get it.

Thanks. We will try this.