Beverage package

Wirewalker

2 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Interesting article on Mai Tai's that I came across today (in reference to the earlier discussions on this thread about what is an authentic mai tai)

https://www.fodors.com/world/north-america/usa/hawaii/experiences/news/are-mai-tais-authentically-hawaiian

Notice how there's no mention of Amaretto or apricot brandy.

3 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Interesting article on Mai Tai's that I came across today (in reference to the earlier discussions on this thread about what is an authentic mai tai)

https://www.fodors.com/world/north-america/usa/hawaii/experiences/news/are-mai-tais-authentically-hawaiian

The article mentions the Monkeypod mai tai and it is the only one I will drink, because I really don't like Mai Tai's - but when in Maui, you have to try it.

download.jpg

2 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Yes indeed!  I thought of you when reading this article.

6 hours ago, duquephart said:

Notice how there's no mention of Amaretto or apricot brandy.

They should renamed it a Vi Tai

10 hours ago, Murt22 said:

The article mentions the Monkeypod mai tai and it is the only one I will drink, because I really don't like Mai Tai's - but when in Maui, you have to try it.

download.jpg

In the ballpark. Lots of places do the foam thing - I think to ftll the glass.

5 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

They should renamed it a Vi Tai

Martin Cate (Smuggler's Cove) calls the Mai Tai "the most bastardized cocktail in the world."

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, duquephart said:

In the ballpark. Lots of places do the foam thing - I think to ftll the glass.

Pisco Sours with that foam were pretty good on our cruise along Peru!!  😄 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, wendyp247 said:

Can you purchase a non Alcoholic package, just for sodas? 

Not to my knowledge and likely not needed. Sodas are always included at lunch and dinner, no problem if you ask for an unopened can to take back to your cabin for later. In other than a "V" cabin, you will have them replenished each day in your mini-bar. Just ask your steward if you want different ones, or more of the same.

Outside of this, pricing is very reasonable, easy to simply order them whenever you want. 🍺🥌 

2 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

Not to my knowledge and likely not needed. Sodas are always included at lunch and dinner, no problem if you ask for an unopened can to take back to your cabin for later. In other than a "V" cabin, you will have them replenished each day in your mini-bar. Just ask your steward if you want different ones, or more of the same.

Outside of this, pricing is very reasonable, easy to simply order them whenever you want. 🍺🥌 

There is also 24 hour room service at no charge. 

8 hours ago, wendyp247 said:

Can you purchase a non Alcoholic package, just for sodas? 

Do you want to drink a lot of soda's outside of breakfast, lunch, and dinner?

The Viking beverage policy is vague with sodas outside of meals if you are not on the SSBP - Silver Spirits Beverage Package.

If you stop by the bar in the Living Room on your way back from an excursion, and ask for a can of soda to take to your cabin, then they ask your cabin number.  I am assuming that there would be a charge if it was outside of a meal period and you were not on the SSBP.

I do know that you cannot buy a package for just soda.  This is not a thing with Viking.

I seldom drink alcoholic beverages. My spouse likes the beer choices.  We have alcoholic beverages in our minibar included.  Does that include any beer?  We are in a penthouse jr. suite. 

Yes, it includes beer.  IIRC, we had four mini liquor bottles and 2 beers, and they were happy to swap out the liquor for wine and more beer.  I believe the original included beer was Carlsbad, but we had it switched for Æsir.  

1 hour ago, carolinetodd said:

Yes, it includes beer.  IIRC, we had four mini liquor bottles and 2 beers, and they were happy to swap out the liquor for wine and more beer.  I believe the original included beer was Carlsbad, but we had it switched for Æsir.  

Haven't seen anything but Carlsberg. Never any luck getting something else.

Maybe it varies from cruise  to cruise?  We didn't even ask for it - one evening in the World Cafe, we talked about beer with some of the waitstaff and tried the Æsir on their recommendation. Next day there was some Æsir in our minifridge.

3 hours ago, carolinetodd said:

Maybe it varies from cruise  to cruise?  We didn't even ask for it - one evening in the World Cafe, we talked about beer with some of the waitstaff and tried the Æsir on their recommendation. Next day there was some Æsir in our minifridge.

We always ask for our fridge to be filled with the Norwegian Aegir (from Flam).  Love the IPA and the Amber.  Not only do they fill the beer up, but we have them take out the liquor and put in the wines we want (we ask for the 1 or 2 red whites that are on the included list, like Chilean Cab and German red blend)

My takeaway from this thread and countless others like it: Never, ever get between a Viking cruiser and his or her beverage of choice. It can be ruinous to your health. 🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

the Norwegian Aegir (from Flam)

Doh!  I meant Ægir, not Æsir!  Is there any way to edit my previous text?

Also, I've forgotten the name of the (included) Soave they kept me stocked up with - yum.

6 hours ago, SJD117 said:

My takeaway from this thread and countless others like it: Never, ever get between a Viking cruiser and his or her beverage of choice. It can be ruinous to your health. 🙃

Or, between purchasing SSBP or not purchasing SSBP.

• Haha 1