Free at Sea - Speciality Dinning

Hi,

Can someone help me answer following question regarding Free at Sea offer - Specialty Dinning

1. Are all specialty restaurant included in this offer on the ship or there are certain?

2. Other than the gratuities that are added to reservation, are there any other charges that one has to pay when on the ship?

3. Traveling with a Kid that is 3rd guest. I don't believe the kid will like the specialty restaurant. Can the Kid accompany us to the dinner without paying up charge?

4. On a 7 night sailing, how many dinners do we get? Is it just one per guest?

5. I assume that we have to make reservation at the restaurant like we would normally do once we get onboard or online prior the cruise?

Contemplating if I should add this to my reservation or not.

Posted (edited)

1. Are all specialty restaurant included in this offer on the ship or there are certain?

All restaurants are included.  

2. Other than the gratuities that are added to reservation, are there any other charges that one has to pay when on the ship?

Nothing required besides the gratuities.  There are upcharges for certain items like the Speedway or drink experiences but spending on those are up to you.

3. Traveling with a Kid that is 3rd guest. I don't believe the kid will like the specialty restaurant. Can the Kid accompany us to the dinner without paying up charge?

There is a free kids menu that has your normal kids menu items like cheeseburgers and chicken tenders.  If they eat off the regular menu, you pay for those items.  

Balcony and above get 2 credits per guest.  Cabins below get 1 per guest.

5. I assume that we have to make reservation at the restaurant like we would normally do once we get onboard or online prior the cruise?

You can make reservations starting at 120 days.  NCL also releases more spots the day off that you can book as soon as you get on board.  

For what you get vs the cost, I don't know why you wouldn't add the specialty dining.  The food is an upgraded experience from the MDRs.  

Edited by Liljo22

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Sayuil said:

Hi,

Can someone help me answer following question regarding Free at Sea offer - Specialty Dinning

All specialty restaurants are included. In ala carte restaurants, you get 1 appetizer, 1 soup/salad, 1 entree, 1 dessert. In a fixed price restaurant like Teppanyaki, you get one of their complete meals. In small plate restaurants (sushi, Food Republic), you get 4 items off the menu

No. There are a few items (mostly things with lobster) that will incur an additional charge. The rest of the menu is included. 

Yes. in all restaurants except Teppanyaki where they may want to charge the kid. But, the kid can eat off the complimentary Kid's Menu in any restaurant. 

2 in a balcony or above. 1 in an Ocean View or Inside Room. 

Reservations open for rooms below Club Balconies 120 days prior to departure. For the best selection of dates and times, book exactly 120 days prior to departure (12 midnight eastern time for the absolute best times). Suites and priority passengers will be able to book at 130 days and 125 days prior to departure. . 

The Free at Sea dinners are a great deal. I would definitely recommend including it in your reservation. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Sayuil said:

They way people are complaining about food and service in the Main Dining rooms, you might want to consider adding the Specialty Dining.

On the other hand, the way people are complaining about the food and service in the Specialty Dining rooms, you may want to consider not adding Specialty Dining.

Hope this helps...

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

3 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

They way people are complaining about food and service in the Main Dining rooms, you might want to consider adding the Specialty Dining.

On the other hand, the way people are complaining about the food and service in the Specialty Dining rooms, you may want to consider not adding Specialty Dining.

Hope this helps...

Lol, for me the biggest decision is that I dont want to pay extra for my son who will barely eat anything at specialty dinning.

For wife and I, for an extra $24(gratuities added to reservation) I think it is a good option to try since we never tried any specialty dinning on previous cruises

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sayuil said:

Lol, for me the biggest decision is that I dont want to pay extra for my son who will barely eat anything at specialty dinning.

For wife and I, for an extra $24(gratuities added to reservation) I think it is a good option to try since we never tried any specialty dinning on previous cruises

If its $24 total, that would be 1 credit per guest. What ship are you looking at?

13 minutes ago, Liljo22 said:

If its $24 total, that would be 1 credit per guest. What ship are you looking at?

Its Norwegian Breakaway

These are your options:

Ocean Blue - A la Carte (extra charge for Surf & Turf or Lobster)

Moderno - Fixed Menu (Brazilian Churrascaria where they bring skewers of meat around)

Wasabi - Small Plate (4 items per credit used)

Cagney's - A la Carte (extra charge for Surf & Turf)

La Cucina - A la Carte (no extra charge)

Le Bistro - A la Carte (extra charge for Filet w/ Foie Gras or Lobster Thermidor)

Teppanyaki - Fixed Menu (similar to Benihana with a similar hibachi menu)

Le Bistro and Ocean Blue are considered a little higher end and require pants for men.  

The Breakaway class ships were just before NCL started adding the upcharge activities like the Speedway or laser tag.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Liljo22 said:

Le Bistro and Ocean Blue are considered a little higher end and require pants for men. 

Well, I would hope so...

This isn't the Big Nude Boat Cruise...

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Liljo22 said:

These are your options:

Wasabi - Small Plate (4 items per credit used)

Is Wasabi like Food Republic or mainly just a sushi place?

If the general idea is the same (choose any 4 items from the menu) per person/credit then if the OP and his wife go there then they can select a total of 8 dishes and dedicate one of those for their child without having to pay anything extra.

Posted (edited)
On 5/29/2024 at 2:29 PM, astera said:

Is Wasabi like Food Republic or mainly just a sushi place?

If the general idea is the same (choose any 4 items from the menu) per person/credit then if the OP and his wife go there then they can select a total of 8 dishes and dedicate one of those for their child without having to pay anything extra.

It’s more sushi restaurant.  A few non sushi items but focused on rolls, nigiri and sashimi.  Your description works though.  You choose any 4 items per credit and can share among the table even with guests that do not use a credit,

Edited by Liljo22

On 5/29/2024 at 9:47 AM, Sayuil said:

Lol, for me the biggest decision is that I dont want to pay extra for my son who will barely eat anything at specialty dinning. For wife and I, for an extra $24(gratuities added to reservation) I think it is a good option to try since we never tried any specialty dinning on previous cruises

Here's an example of the value of a dining credit

image.png.e0e429eedb4c4c53031593ee7e2e6ab9.png

When you are talking about you son, I hope that you are talking about a small child and not a teen. If your son is a teen, you should buy him a dinner package. No teen is going to be eating a free PB&J sandwich while dad feasts on Filet steak. 

image.thumb.png.9c9f4338bfa968629528eb471df5d584.png

7 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Here's an example of the value of a dining credit

image.png.e0e429eedb4c4c53031593ee7e2e6ab9.png

When you are talking about you son, I hope that you are talking about a small child and not a teen. If your son is a teen, you should buy him a dinner package. No teen is going to be eating a free PB&J sandwich while dad feasts on Filet steak. 

image.thumb.png.9c9f4338bfa968629528eb471df5d584.png

Thanks for sharing this. Yes my son is 5 yr old. My TA Confirmed exactly what you shared but they were not sure about Upcharge dinning like Brazilian steakhouse or Teppenyanki. Any idea ?

1 hour ago, Sayuil said:

Thanks for sharing this. Yes my son is 5 yr old. My TA Confirmed exactly what you shared but they were not sure about Upcharge dinning like Brazilian steakhouse or Teppenyanki. Any idea ?

Yes, Teppanyaki and Moderno are included as well.  If you get any extra meals beyond your included Free At Sea meals, be sure to book Teppanyaki or Moderno FIRST.

10 minutes ago, hallux said:

Yes, Teppanyaki and Moderno are included as well.  If you get any extra meals beyond your included Free At Sea meals, be sure to book Teppanyaki or Moderno FIRST.

Do Teppanyaki and Moderno also have complimentary meals for Kids under 12? 

1 hour ago, Sayuil said:

Yes. But make sure that the waiter knows ASAP because the kids food is prepared in a different galley and it will take a while to get to your restaurant. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Sayuil said:

It’s the same menu though as above so no ”kids Teppanyaki” or ”kids Moderno”. Just the same standard kids menu in all restaurants. 

Edited by European_CruiseGirl

1 hour ago, European_CruiseGirl said:

It’s the same menu though as above so no ”kids Teppanyaki” or ”kids Moderno”. Just the same standard kids menu in all restaurants. 

Incorrect. 

The OP asked if their 5-year-old son could order off of the complimentary Kids Menu at Teppanyaki or Moderno. And the correct answer is "Yes", their son can order off the Kids Menu (just do it quickly when you arrive) and their son does not have to pay for a full meal. 

55 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Incorrect. 

The OP asked if their 5-year-old son could order off of the complimentary Kids Menu at Teppanyaki or Moderno. And the correct answer is "Yes", their son can order off the Kids Menu (just do it quickly when you arrive) and their son does not have to pay for a full meal. 

No, the OP asked about all specialty restaurants. 

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

Incorrect. 

I think you misunderstood what they were saying.

You can order off the kids menu in these places, but they were just clarifying that it was the same menu as elsewhere, not a kids version of the Teppanyaki or Moderno menu.

You are both correct,

• Thanks 1