Moderately priced hotels near British Museum.

We will be spending on night in London and would like to go to the British museum  and the Petrie Museum. As they are not that far apart, are there a moderately priced hotels within a half mile walking distance. If not we can use transportation.

Thank you.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Define "moderately priced". London is not cheap.

3-4 stars? 175-225 euros. Thank you. Do London hotels include breakfast?

Edited by cruisetilidrop

London hotels are very price senstive to date, major events and location, but there are plenty to choose from.

A google map search shows there are upwards of 50 hotels within walking distance of British Museum.  This includes chains such as Mercure, Thistle, Premierinn.

Most hotels provide breakfast, it is an extra charge at Premierinn, but London has so many places to eat its not a problem.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, cruisetilidrop said:

Just an FYI, London hotels will price in British pounds, not euros. A whole different exchange rate.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, cruisetilidrop said:

I don't know when you're planning on being in London but I believe you'll have to reconsider how much you're planning on paying. €225 is less than £200; that's not much.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I don't know when you're planning on being in London but I believe you'll have to reconsider how much you're planning on paying. €225 is less than £200; that's not much.

When I look at the exchange rate both are in my price range.

4 hours ago, Thejuggler said:

London hotels are very price senstive to date, major events and location, but there are plenty to choose from.

A google map search shows there are upwards of 50 hotels within walking distance of British Museum.  This includes chains such as Mercure, Thistle, Premierinn.

Most hotels provide breakfast, it is an extra charge at Premierinn, but London has so many places to eat its not a problem.

Very helpful including Englands chain hotels.

57 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

40 minutes ago, cruisetilidrop said:

You missed @d9704011's point that £200 isn't a lot for London. You will probably be looking at more than that, sometimes considerably more.

3 hours ago, cruisetilidrop said:

I'm not sure what you mean.  Your price range and what the hotels are charging may not coincide.

8 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I'm not sure what you mean.  Your price range and what the hotels are charging may not coincide.

Let’s do this another way. Another poster mentioned the Premier Inn London Euston. Where is that in a price range?

8 minutes ago, cruisetilidrop said:

Another poster mentioned the Premier Inn London Euston. Where is that in a price range?

The Premier Inn chain is generally seen as a budget-price no-frills hotel. I'd get sued if I were to suggest that it's only two categories above backpackers' hostels, but you get the idea.

A few months ago, I noticed that the Premier Inn nearest my home wanted over £200 per night. I nearly fell off my chair.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

The Premier Inn chain is generally seen as a budget-price no-frills hotel. I'd get sued if I were to suggest that it's only two categories above backpackers' hostels, but you get the idea.

A few months ago, I noticed that the Premier Inn nearest my home wanted over £200 per night. I nearly fell off my chair.

We only need a hotel for one night and would like to stay in something better, where would you suggest near the British museum. We don’t need luxury. From the US so don’t know your hotels at all or how our exchange rates convert to your level of middle class. Thank you.

39 minutes ago, cruisetilidrop said:

We only need a hotel for one night and would like to stay in something better, where would you suggest near the British museum. We don’t need luxury. From the US so don’t know your hotels at all or how our exchange rates convert to your level of middle class. Thank you.

You're asking this bassackwards.  The cost of hotels in London and exchange rates have nothing to do with what you may encounter in the United States; it's London.

I suggest you use Trivago, put in British Museum as the search areA along with date of stay and sort the results by distance from landmark (British Museum) and filter according to customer feedback i.e. better than 7.5.  You'll get a sense of what things cost.

https://www.trivago.co.uk/

1 hour ago, Globaliser said:

Last year we stayed at the Premier Inn Gatwick and it was very good... except for the fire alarm at 0200 and hiking up 10 floors afterwards.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Globaliser said:

if I were to suggest that it's only two categories above backpackers' hostels

I generally stay in Premier Inns when I travel round the country - including the one at Euston (which I've stayed at several times when visiting the central area of the capital).

If backpackers hostels are only a bit down market from PIs, then perhaps I should start looking to stay at hostels in future. 

FWIW, PI Euston would cost £219 for a room next week, on their "pay in advance, non-refundable" rate, without nbreakfast. In American terms, PI is something akin to the Days Inn chain, if that helps

Edited by Harters
  • Thanks 1

I booked a room.at double tree hilton west end which is near the british museum.  My travels end july ..5 nights...coming up about $2400 usd and includes the fees.   But i am not prepaying....some hotels offer lower prices when you prepay.  2400/5 = $480 night usd.  My room has a double bed and a sofa bed because I don't want to share a bed with my adult nephew....prices are cheaper if you just want 1 double bed.  Oddly enough i found my notes from my 2005 trip to England and I stayed at this exact street address ...back then it was called the Bonnington.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harters said:

I generally stay in Premier Inns when I travel round the country - including the one at Euston (which I've stayed at several times when visiting the central area of the capital).

If backpackers hostels are only a bit down market from PIs, then perhaps I should start looking to stay at hostels in future. 

FWIW, PI Euston would cost £219 for a room next week, on their "pay in advance, non-refundable" rate, without nbreakfast. In American terms, PI is something akin to the Days Inn chain, if that helps

Thank you, this was very helpful with the US comparison. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Premierinn are firmly in fluid pricing land.  If demand is high prices are high.

I'm staying in one just outside London on Friday, its the night before a cup final at Wembley.  I booked about three weeks ago, It was £70 a room. 

Two days later when the finalists were known and people started booking tickets the same rooms were £180 a night.  It is now sold out.

Edited by Thejuggler
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Thejuggler said:

Premierinn are firmly in fluid pricing land

Indeed so. And changes can happen very quickly.

For most of my trips to London in recent years, I've stayed out in Brentford (nearish to the National Archives, where I was doing research). I remember once pricing PI, then going to check the local Travelodge price and, I think, a Holiday Inn. The PI had been cheapest but, by the time I came back to their website to book, maybe 30 minutes later, the price had gone up and was no longer cheapest. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, d9704011 said:

You're asking this bassackwards.  The cost of hotels in London and exchange rates have nothing to do with what you may encounter in the United States; it's London.

I suggest you use Trivago, put in British Museum as the search areA along with date of stay and sort the results by distance from landmark (British Museum) and filter according to customer feedback i.e. better than 7.5.  You'll get a sense of what things cost.

https://www.trivago.co.uk/

It's you that is not understanding. For example if $200 in US is considered average for a particular area, (which is £156 in London) is that average for London or cheap. If you are going to be insulting you do not have to reply again.

44 minutes ago, cruisetilidrop said:

is that average for London or cheap

The suggestion to look at Trivago (or my preferred booking.com) is a good one. It will give you actual comparisons so you can form your own view about what's available and at what sort of cost.  You're going to get better info than relying on the relatively limited information that contributors like me can offer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, cruisetilidrop said:

It's you that is not understanding. For example if $200 in US is considered average for a particular area, (which is £156 in London) is that average for London or cheap. If you are going to be insulting you do not have to reply again.

As others have said, prices are hugely fluid.  £156 might be cheap one day, but another you wouldn't want to stay in a place that was charging twice that.  The only way to get a feel for prices is to do a search on Google Maps, Trivago, Booking.com or any other of the multitude of comparison sites out there for the specific dates you want and look at the range of hotels and prices, picking out a brand or two that you recognise or which has been talked about already.

I've just checked a hotel that my son - who works most weeks in central London - stays in.  It has no windows, but he likes it because that makes it incredibly quiet and he always gets a good night's sleep.  It's at the lower end of the price spectrum.  On one day next week, it's more than treble the price of another.  Most days it's over £150.

• Thanks 1