Tipping on board staff…which currency?

Jjg34219

7 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

If you worked as a tour guide in New York, would you want to be tipped in Euros??

Wasnt talking the tour guides…that I will do in Euros

This topic has been covered numerous times on CC. The staff on Viking are from numerous countries, they cruise around the world. They have told us they get tipped in numerous currencies and they exchange with each other for who can use which currency. At the end of a cruise we tip our room stewards in U.S. dollars & combos of other currencies we have accumulated on the cruise. So far, no one has turned us down. 😎

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

If you worked as a tour guide in New York, would you want to be tipped in Euros??

If I was getting several bills a day and could easily chage them into more preferable currency would I mind?

If I were sailing in Europe, on a cruise that is predominantly in Europe/ The Med, AND they warrant additional tips (Viking in UK have tips included) then I would tip in Euros, as that is what the crew can use when they get off the ship.  

If I were on a ship that is predominantly in US/Alaska, I’d tip in $, as the crew can use $ more easily, without conversion.  If I was on a ship that was on a transatlantic I'd ask the person which they’d prefer, or use a predominant currency that I had, e.g. euro or $. 

• Like 4

I agree with GooseBear above. Last year on our Iceland cruise, the next stop for the ship was NYC. Our room steward preferred USD. I check the route of the ship and tip accordingly. 

• Like 2

I emailed tellus@vikingcruises.com and their response was:

"Viking's advice is to tip in LOCAL currency when tipping guides and drivers."

We are doing British Isles Explorer so will be dealing with several different currencies.  So confusing what to tip bus drivers and tour guides.  We have used local currency in the past but not sure what to do this time.  Same as for the on board staff.  Final destination is London.  Any info appreciated.  Thanks

7 minutes ago, auntbarky said:

We are doing British Isles Explorer so will be dealing with several different currencies.  So confusing what to tip bus drivers and tour guides.  We have used local currency in the past but not sure what to do this time.  Same as for the on board staff.  Final destination is London.  Any info appreciated.  Thanks

Local currency throughout so Norwegian Kroner in Bergen and Sterling everywhere else but Dublin which is Euros- this is a relatively easy itinerary not needing too many currencies 

If you have local currency, use local currency. If you run out of local currency and only have dollars left, they're not going to be mad about getting dollars.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, auntbarky said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

This is a wildly discussed topic and if you go and search this is not the first time this has been discussed.

To me there are two considerations:

1) Local tour guides live where you take the tour.  Tip them in local currency if you can, and if UK/Europe then use Euros if you don't have Pounds or other local currency.

2) Onboard Crew - the cruise may end in London, but that means nothing.  Where are the crew spending most of their time off the ship?  Are Pounds or Euros better?  Is USD better?

I still profess that the US dollar is the most recognized currency anywhere in the world.  It can be exchanged at just about any bank globally.

I would never give a Canadian currency as a tip.  Heck, the USA won't even look at a Canadian dollar and we are neighbours.  Canadian currency is not recognized in very many places, if at all outside of Canada.

This is a personal thing and everyone should do what they want, or decide to not tip at all. We will never all be in agreement here on CC.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, auntbarky said:

Ok. Sorry to have posted the question.  Will use search box next time. 

You have appsolutely no need to apologise.  Views change and if this site only tried to cover new topics it would be very limited indeed.  Please do stick with it and ask whatever questions you feel are relevant to you.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2024 at 2:57 PM, mrbluesea said:

If its a choice between euro and dollar as a reciepent I would rather have 10 dollars than 10 euros given the exchange rate between the two currencies.

I'd rather have euros, can use them on next holiday without converting fees. Also know quite a few people going to the eurozone who could use them. We have no immediate plans to go to US, so would loose 20-30% of face value converting dollars

• Like 1

17 hours ago, auntbarky said:

Ok. Sorry to have posted the question.  Will use search box next time. 

Sorry - I was not "telling" you to use the search box.... if that were the case I would not have typed out the response that I did.

I was simply indicating that this has been discussed and that you can find other discussions about this, if you are so inclined.

I did not mean this the way you took it and I apologize.

• Thanks 1

On 6/4/2024 at 9:57 AM, mrbluesea said:

If its a choice between euro and dollar as a reciepent I would rather have 10 dollars than 10 euros given the exchange rate between the two currencies.

The difference is 0.80 and they have to pay an exchange fee - not sure that math works in their favor. 

Overall with this, I think that money is money, and if you are paying gratuities through the Viking program - either included in your fare or in addition on your final invoice - the crew are getting their gratuities in whatever payment currency they get their pay in.

If you are paying cash in hand, it is additional to the individual and they are likely grateful for this in any currency.

I feel like the answer is:

1) Wherever possible tip cash in local currency where the ship is sailing.

2) An overriding currency in the EU and neighbouring countries is probably the Euro.

3) Don't tip in a currency that is not internationally recognized by major banks - like the Canadian Dollar.

4) When in doubt tip with the USD because it is the most recognized international currency globally.

5 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Overall with this, I think that money is money, and if you are paying gratuities through the Viking program - either included in your fare or in addition on your final invoice - the crew are getting their gratuities in whatever payment currency they get their pay in.

If you are paying cash in hand, it is additional to the individual and they are likely grateful for this in any currency.

I feel like the answer is:

1) Wherever possible tip cash in local currency where the ship is sailing.

2) An overriding currency in the EU and neighbouring countries is probably the Euro.

3) Don't tip in a currency that is not internationally recognized by major banks - like the Canadian Dollar.

4) When in doubt tip with the USD because it is the most recognized international currency globally.

I wasn't going to wade in on this but here I go🤪.  We've only taken one Viking cruise with 2 more booked but we have taken 14 prior cruises and have traveled independently around the world many times via plane, train and automobile. 

First, no matter which mode of travel we always get local currency prior to leaving home.  We use a international currency company. May cost a little more but so much easier than  trying to exchange or finding a safe ATM, but that's our opinion and choice.  

Then, the amount we take and how many different currencies varies from trip to trip depending on mode of travel.  No matter which we round up to avoid collecting coins. 

On a cruise we do tip extra to our cabin steward at the end and for room service for each time used.  On our next cruise we will have Argentine and Chilean Pesos.  Will just round up to equal amount we wish to give for room service and probably give whatever we have left of either or both at the end to our cabin Steward.  The itinerary we are on will have a few more sailings after ours so they will be able to use in port if they don't want to exchange.  Certainly for excursions we tip in local currency.  

And for our next cruise we will have 2 ports with 2 differenct currencies so will ask guides what they prefer and will have US dollars as an option, as well as the two different Pesos. We do each wear a money pouch for airports.  Once on board it will all go into the safe of course.

And of course, this is our choice and what works for us. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

We mainly use cards, but get a small amount of all relevent currencies for incidentals. 

I don't understand why there is any difficulty in finding out what currency a country uses and deciding how much of it may be needed, then finding a convenient way of getting it. 

We call into a supermarket with a Bureau de Change, order what we need if it's not in stock, then collect it when we next call in. The commission is worth it for small amounts and the time saved on arrival. 

Unless visiting the US we don't take US dollars with us

Edited by KBs mum
  • Like 1