Last minute cancellation by cabin mate, will the cabin based on double occupancy be repriced?

Our cruise is in 20 days. My cabin mate is experiencing some medical issues and may need to cancel. I would still go on the cruise. Since our cabin was priced based on double occupancy, would I be charged the solo premium if she is unable to go and I am alone in the cabin? I called Celebrity but I couldn’t get a clear answer. Thanks 

You for sure will not be charged extra if she is just a "no show".  No penalties for that and she would get the taxes and port fees refunded.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We had a similar situation recently. Did the "no show" thing. No price increase and received the taxes, and pre-paid tips, back to the credit card used to pay for them. The tips were received back before the cruise ended and the taxes were received about 3 days after we returned. Told the check-in person at the port there would be a no show and they did not seem to care. Later that day, we shared an elevator with the Hotel Director and asked her if there was anything we need to do concerning the no show. She said once the ship sailed, they would mark the missing person as a no show and all would be handled automatically. However, we were asked at dinner, and by the room attendant, about the missing person.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, dleahy4444 said:

Our cruise is in 20 days. My cabin mate is experiencing some medical issues and may need to cancel. I would still go on the cruise. Since our cabin was priced based on double occupancy, would I be charged the solo premium if she is unable to go and I am alone in the cabin? I called Celebrity but I couldn’t get a clear answer. Thanks 

Final payment has been made. No price change will happen regarding fare.

Their port taxes & fee will be returned if they do not show.

Sounds as if tips will be as well? (if they went all-inclusive)

Edited by KKB
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, dleahy4444 said:

The fare has already been paid for both passengers and although she'll get taxes and port fees back, she will not get her fare back.  Therefore, although you may miss her company, try to enjoy having the extra space to yourself and not having to share a bathroom.  You will not have to pay extra, because the cruise line already got paid for two passengers.  This happened to me as last year when a friend cancelled at the last minute. 

Edited by Vagabond Knight
  • Thanks 1

If the passenger can cancel for a covered reason with insurance they need to Cancel with Celebrity before sailing or their claim will be rejected.  I believe some if not most policies will cover any increase for a solo supplement for the remaining passenger.  If insurance is involved you should be consulting with them.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

If the passenger can cancel for a covered reason with insurance they need to Cancel with Celebrity before sailing or their claim will be rejected.  I believe some if not most policies will cover any increase for a solo supplement for the remaining passenger.  If insurance is involved you should be consulting with them.

We did not get the travel insurance through Celebrity because we missed the cut off which was by final payment. We will be getting insurance through Allianz, as they allow you to purchase until close to sailing. Not sure if they will cover it if it’s determined that it’s due to a pre existing condition but it’s worth a shot. Not sure if she will need to cancel first with Celebrity for them to honor it, but I’ll find out. Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully she medical situation resolves and we will sail together. 

• Like 1

I believe they require purchase within 14 days of first deposit for any pre-existing condition coverage.  Even then I believe the condition must be stable or won't be covered.

• Like 1