Need cruiseline forAntartica that takes young children

oskidunker

6 hours ago, oskidunker said:

We want to get off the ship so oceania wont work.

thanks

T's and C's for both Silversea and Seabourn expedition vessels indicate they will allow children over 5 or 6, but shore landings are at the master's discretion. Suggest you review the Terms and Conditions for both lines or call them. 🍺🥌

• Like 1

I know that this is the Viking forum, but we went to Antarctica on Hurtigruten and there were lots of younger children on the ship.  5, 6, 7 years old and up.

@oskidunker Recommend you look at Lindblad (co-branded with National Geographic):

- very family oriented

- small ships, so no long wait for your turn to get into zodiacs 

- first to Antarctica in 1966
- expedition staff very experienced there

- open bridge policy 

- lots of other positives

We’ve been to Antarctica with both Lindblad and Viking; would definitely go back with the former.

MT

3 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

You need to post this on an Antarctica forum, not Viking.

Viking does not allow children, so you won't get any help here.

Yes, it is a bit off topic but OP has asked us because we are a knowledgeable and trusted audience who have helped him in the past.

I may agree that this question might get more answers in the Antarctic forum but I can also understand why OP is asking here.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, oskidunker said:

Thanks Polar. 

Also depending on the ages of the children, Hurtigruten had projects and seminars specifically for the kids in the Science Centre.  

1 hour ago, CDNPolar said:

Also depending on the ages of the children, Hurtigruten had projects and seminars specifically for the kids in the Science Centre.  

How is the food? Comparable to Viking?

There are a number of smaller cruise lines that specialize in the Antarctic. Polar Latitudes is one I know about. These are so small that they may not show up on cruisecritic. OP would need to check on policies individually.

But- think carefully about this. There will be almost nothing for kids in crossing time and time between excursions. They either need to be got into and out of Zodiacs or left on board. It's a considerable amount of $ for an experience that may not be much appreciated.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Frenchberet said:

Ponant advertises Antarctica cruises with kids.

Adventures by Disney uses Ponant… and caters to the younger crowd.   I know some people who did this (they do not have young kids, but do love the Disney way, had a fabulous time)

15 hours ago, oskidunker said:

How is the food? Comparable to Viking?

Compared to Viking Ocean - I have never done Viking Expedition - the buffet breakfast and lunch is very comparable.  Dinner only has three options per night and they are basic.

You don't sail Hurtigruten for the food, you sail for the expedition and the experience.

Viking food, in my opinion is much better and would be too on Viking Expedition ships.  

Consider also that on an expedition like this no matter what cruise line you go on, any food must be loaded at embarkation.  There is not restock anywhere along the way.  We noticed certain things start to disappear as the days went on probably because there was more demand than expected for certain items.

There is only one main restaurant on Hurtigruten and one kind of small burger joint.  There is a specialty restaurant for the Suite Guests.  You can book that if not in a suite, but we did not see the value as it was extra money and appeared to be only a slightly elevated product.

One person commented that there is nothing to do for children, especially during the Drake Passage.  Hurtigruten had children's programs in the Science Centre at that time for those that were not sick in the cabin.

You also want to be careful that you are not on a really large ship as they may not offer landings.  Many larger ships sail through and around the Continent but don't do landings.

I would however only suggest taking children if they were really either science or nature focused as there is really nothing else for them.  If they are not going to get excited to see penguins up close or a whale cresting the surface, then this is not for them.

1 hour ago, AroundWithMAPTravels said:

Adventures by Disney uses Ponant… and caters to the younger crowd.   I know some people who did this (they do not have young kids, but do love the Disney way, had a fabulous time)

I may have answered a bit prematurely … it appears that adventures by Disney may not be doing to Antarctica any time soon (no longer listed on their site).  I did notice that their minimum age is 10 on most/all their trips 

that being said, someone else mentioned Lindblad/NatGeo… we have traveled with them frequently- they have no minimum age.  While they don’t specifically have “kids” programs they do have some sailings specifically aimed at families.  No matter what, they have always found stuff to keep the kids engaged.  On our Antarctica trip last year there was one 12 year old.  They always found something to keep her occupied.  We have also had months-old kids on other trips, along with several others in the 7-10 range on same sailing (Baja-whales).  As has been mentioned, if kids are not enthralled by nature, may not be right (although it may be just the “different “ thing to get them there-it’s hard Not to be awed by icebergs and penguins, but there is a fair amount of time traveling too)

I know some people who did Antarctica on Polaris… while they did not have young kids, they did mention there were some.  Not sure what ages not whether the kids were fully engaged. One thing to consider is “gear”.  Boots are required and some companies provide them, not sure whether they carry kids sizes or if you would need to supply them.