28-day Westerdam Arctic Summer Solstice Live from the ship June 9-July 7

I am curious to learn what type of cabins fellow cruisers have selected for this cruise.  Knowing the daylight schedule I might consider an inside cabin whereas we almost always book balconies.

This itinerary sounds simply amazing!

We checked in to the Hilton Doubletree Southcenter.  It’s a very nice former Embassy Suites.  Hotel free shuttle picked us up at the airport. We walked to the nearby and very busy Westfield Mall shopping center.  Just outside the center is a very popular Cheesecake Factory.  The food was excellent and plentiful with a lot of choices on the menu.

Seattle Express will pick us up tomorrow at 10:45 a.m. and take us to the ship.  It looks like onboard activities start at 11 a.m.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have an interior cabin on Deck 10 Forward. My cabin, 10024, actually has a window that lets in natural light, but it is classified as an interior cabin because there is no real view. The window overlooks the jogging track and the sliding pool cover. It is mirrored on the outside so people can’t look into the room. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Hogladyrider said:

I am curious to learn what type of cabins fellow cruisers have selected for this cruise.  Knowing the daylight schedule I might consider an inside cabin whereas we almost always book balconies.

We also usually get a balcony but are in an inside this trip for exactly this reason. We live near Seattle and I already wake up at about 4 a.m. with the beginning of light in my window. People forget that daylight will be present for much of the trip. For us, an inside is a smart move on this itinerary. 

We're off to the dock in about an hour.

• Like 2

For those on the cruise without tours for whatever reason, Ketchikan and Sitka (our first stops) have lots to do within pretty easy walking distance of the ship. Ketchikan -- Lumberjack Show, Creek Street, Totem pole museum (and other museums), boardwalk,  tons of shops and food. Sitka -- Waterfront walk, fish hatchery, Sitka Nat'l Park visitor center, Raptor Center, Russian church, Russian cemetery, other historical buildings, shops, food. I'm not going into walk details, but Google maps is your friend (or a city visitor center map). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

We checked in to the Hilton Doubletree Southcenter.  It’s a very nice former Embassy Suites.  Hotel free shuttle picked us up at the airport. We walked to the nearby and very busy Westfield Mall shopping center.  Just outside the center is a very popular Cheesecake Factory.  The food was excellent and plentiful with a lot of choices on the menu.

Seattle Express will pick us up tomorrow at 10:45 a.m. and take us to the ship.  It looks like onboard activities start at 11 a.m.

I didn't realize this was an Embassy Suites - but I did think -this layout looked familiar...Now i know!  thanks.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Hogladyrider said:

We took a downgrade to a Verandah from a Sig Suite for a 50% refund (Cash) - we are now in 10010 - very convenient to the Crows nest, but with no cabins above - some folks say these cabins can get hot.   I can't find too much about these rooms.   The verandahs seem much smaller than normal....

• Like 8

50 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

We took a downgrade to a Verandah from a Sig Suite for a 50% refund (Cash) - we are now in 10010 - very convenient to the Crows nest, but with no cabins above - some folks say these cabins can get hot.   I can't find too much about these rooms.   The verandahs seem much smaller than normal....

I will be VERY interested to hear your opinion of this location!  Seems like it would be nice and quiet.  Easy access to Crow's Nest for morning coffee.

• Thanks 1

On 6/8/2024 at 12:24 AM, TableGirl said:

This is why Seattle offers Port Valet I’m guessing.  It’s a pretty airport but what a hot mess.  

SeaTac has had ongoing construction for quite awhile and baggage claim is the worst. We picked up friends yesterday who are sailing with you and the arrivals area is a mess. The 3 large trucks picking up cruiser luggage didn’t help. Too bad the don’t have a different area for that. Have a great cruise!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hogladyrider said:

I will be VERY interested to hear your opinion of this location!  Seems like it would be nice and quiet.  Easy access to Crow's Nest for morning coffee.

I will be doing a video tour.    Could be great.   I like being close to the crows nest and world stage.   Going to dinner will Be a hike.   Can't get much further away! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We're onboard too.  I thought,  considering everything they have to do and deal with,  it was an organized process. Yay, finally!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

It must have been Embassy Suites quite a long time ago. We stayed there the first time 35 years ago and it was a Doubletree Suites then. There was still an old Doubletree Inn across the way that was since torn down (likely where Cheesecake Factory is now)

Enjoy your trip! We never tire of Alaska.

1 hour ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I will be doing a video tour.    Could be great.   I like being close to the crows nest and world stage.   Going to dinner will Be a hike.   Can't get much further away! 

Calorie burner for sure!

• Haha 1

So, if anyone tells you only need layers, don’t believe them.  You need layers AND a parka at this time of year.  I knew I should have brought my parka.  And my Sherpa!  The scenic cruising is NOT to be missed but it is cold outside.  And windy.

Last night we ate at the Pinnacle Grill because we didn’t want to fight the crowds at the MDR.  My filet was cooked perfectly, the baked potato was yummy which I split with one of my dining companions and the shrimp cocktail was less waterlogged than what you usually get in the MDR.  Two of our people had the Alaskan Halibut which they liked and one had crabcakes.  The Mait’re de came out after dinner to check on us and acknowledged it took us a long time to get our food.  And it did.  Our reservation was at 5:30 and we didn’t get any food until around 6:30.  

Two of us went to the MDR for breakfast this morning it easily took 30 minutes to get our order.

The Naturalist onboard (Kurt) gave a talk at 11 am in the World State and he was very good - and funny.  He gave a good overview on Alaska.  He has a masters in “Alaska Environmental History” and teaches now in Washington State at Skagit Community College.  He’s been lecturing on HAL for 27 or 28 years I think he said.  There is another lecturer today at 2.

The captain is wonderful keeping us informed - I just wish he would speak up a bit more so we could hear him better.  Our cruise and travel director is Stone and she’s good too!

We have a cabana but it’s windy up here today and the blankets are a bit small.  They could do better on that.  But not many cabanas taken.  However we don’t have to fight for bow space!

I enjoyed the hydro pool last night - there were 2 others that come right after I got there.

My room is a verandah and it feels so much smaller than verandah cabins on the Pinnacle class ships.  However, there is decent storage.  But then, I am alone in my cabin.  I did, however bring 2 suitcases and putting clothes away was no problem. The desk is too small and there are no drawers incorporated with the desk.  I’ll try to post some pictures eventually.

This ship is in desperate need of refurbishment.  The decor is tired and a runs to the shabby side.  It feels dark and dated.  The bathrooms still have the tiny tubs you have to step into. That said, the water pressure was great.  I’ve been spoiled traveling on the newer Pinnacle Class ships.

If anyone traveling on the 2025 cruise has questions ask away!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6