Drivers license question

Hi everyone. I am going on a Carribean cruise this Summer. I have my passport ready, and my drivers license as well. My drivers license expires a few weeks after my trip on my birthday. Does Princess require my drivers license to be like my passport, which is not expiring soon after the trip? Trying to figure out if my drivers license is acceptable or needs to be renewed earlier than my birthday. Thanks.

Posted (edited)

You do not require a driver's license to travel. You have your passport. That is all that is required to board the ship and plane.

In any case unrelated to your travel and cruise I would get the DL renewed. I know here in PA one has a broad window to renew your DL. Don't know about where you live.

Edited by skynight
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, wish_I_was_a_mermaid said:

Hi everyone. I am going on a Carribean cruise this Summer. I have my passport ready, and my drivers license as well. My drivers license expires a few weeks after my trip on my birthday. Does Princess require my drivers license to be like my passport, which is not expiring soon after the trip? Trying to figure out if my drivers license is acceptable or needs to be renewed earlier than my birthday. Thanks.

Passport! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Princess requires government ID to be carried when leaving the ship.  A DL will suffice, so you don't have to carry your passport.  GS will send out a message if you are absolutely required to bring your passport.  Having said that most ports, just glance at the name on the DL to make sure it matches the Medallion.  This was the case in Honolulu this year.  DLs aren't like passports where countries/places require 6 month validity after arrival; they are valid until expiration.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kay S said:

Will you be driving anywhere on shore?

I won't be doing any driving, just using it to go ashore in Puerto Rico and 2 other ports. But from reading the replies my passport is the important thing and that's valid for a few more years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wish_I_was_a_mermaid said:

I won't be doing any driving, just using it to go ashore in Puerto Rico and 2 other ports. But from reading the replies my passport is the important thing and that's valid for a few more years. 

Definitely bring DL with you when going off the ship in PR

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wish_I_was_a_mermaid said:

Yes!