Interesting souvenir in Skagway - Bullet Key chain

Seacruise

In the Skagway T-Shirt shop I saw this interesting little souvenir a couple of weeks back.

I am not so sure this a wise one to buy/sell based on 5 people being arrested in the Caribbean for having bullets in their carry-on.

Lets see you buy this then put it in your bag and go back to the ship to have said bag placed through x-ray? Yes it isn't a live round but still some explaining to do. What about cruises going back to Canada?

This one is likely going to be more trouble than it is worth.

IMG_1801.JPG

I find the one you highlighted to be hilarious, but I’ll leave it at that. 

Having watched way (way!) too many episodes of Canadian border patrol shows, I know it’s legal to bring ammunition into Canada. But they have exceedingly tight handgun laws and seeing ammunition tends to trigger a massive search to be sure there’s no gun nearby. I know this is an obvious novelty product, but you really don’t want to advertise yourself as a huge 2nd amendment supporter when dealing with Canadian customs/immigration. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, wcook said:

Having watched way (way!) too many episodes of Canadian border patrol shows, I know it’s legal to bring ammunition into Canada. But they have exceedingly tight handgun laws and seeing ammunition tends to trigger a massive search to be sure there’s no gun nearby. I know this is an obvious novelty product, but you really don’t want to advertise yourself as a huge 2nd amendment supporter when dealing with Canadian customs/immigration. 

The real funny part about the photo was I didn't notice the name until I got back to the ship.

I suppose that you may be praying to get you out of the mess you are in.

How come nobody has not yet commented that this is a really silly souvenir - a key think w a fake bullet and your name on it.  There has to be a cheap souvenir that is more Alaska that one could buy.

DON

Posted (edited)
On 6/7/2024 at 9:34 PM, wcook said:

I'm confused.  Why would supporting 2nd amendment come into play if you have a receipt and an obvious novelty item?  The ship security would see it first.  Then throw it in the checked luggage. 

Edited by jean87510

19 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Why would supporting 2nd amendment come into play if you have a receipt and an obvious novelty item

I’m just saying Canadian customs is very concerned about handguns. If they suspect you might have one, they can single you out for special screening. To avoid hassle, I wouldn’t voluntarily say or bring anything to draw attention to myself. 

1 hour ago, wcook said:

I’m just saying Canadian customs is very concerned about handguns. If they suspect you might have one, they can single you out for special screening. To avoid hassle, I wouldn’t voluntarily say or bring anything to draw attention to myself. 

ok.  But there is a huge difference between a trinket and a handgun.  Personally, I'd check it and have the receipt.  Or better yet, buy something else and save the fake bullet for a land vacation not involving potentially over zealous border agents.

Are they this diligent for those who enter without documentation?  I'm not dragging politics into this.  I'm simply curious as to what Canada's record is on entry requirements since it seems like the US 2nd amendment is a potential sore spot and may cause a problem even with a novelty item.  

If this is considered politics, please remove.