Current Rising tide bar/teen policy

16 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Last time I was on Navigator the bartender asked a couple with a small child to not sit the child in the barstool at the bar.  There was no problem with them with being there with the child and even them sitting at the bar just as long as the child sat in the stroller a couple feet back from the bar.

This was in the Bamboo room.

I am just guessing here....but could the reason being the small child could easily fall from the bar stool?  Liability there perhaps?  

1 minute ago, island lady said:

I am just guessing here....but could the reason being the small child could easily fall from the bar stool?  Liability there perhaps?  

As I posted subsequently, that may be the case. However, the bartender cited a rule about children at the bar.  Whether he just made that up to keep the kid off the stool and keep it open for other tipping patrons or not I can not say.  Mom and Dad sat next to me at the bar and Jr. was relegated to his stroller a couple of feet away.

That same bartender had no problem with my underage grandchildren coming up to the bar ordering a cocktail and standing there while he made the drink.  However, they left the bar area immediately and either sat at a table or left the lounge completely.

I don't think we know for sure what the official rule is since sadly even official rules are only inconsistently enforced.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

As I posted subsequently, that may be the case. However, the bartender cited a rule about children at the bar.  Whether he just made that up to keep the kid off the stool and keep it open for other tipping patrons or not I can not say.  Mom and Dad sat next to me at the bar and Jr. was relegated to his stroller a couple of feet away.

That same bartender had no problem with my underage grandchildren coming up to the bar ordering a cocktail and standing there while he made the drink.  However, they left the bar area immediately and either sat at a table or left the lounge completely.

I don't think we know for sure what the official rule is since sadly even official rules are only inconsistently enforced.  

I would like to think the bartender actually cared about the small child's safety and did the right thing...whether it is/was a rule or not.  Was the smart thing to do.  Bravo for him. 🙂 

• Like 1

alcohol sales often are make or break as to a sailing being profitable for whatever cruise line 

I don’t see any of the lines turning away parents as paying customers, even if they have their kiddos in tow with them. 

I can also see bartenders reasonably asking any person not actively drinking ‘something’, whether on a prepaid drink package or OOP, to vacate a bar stool for a paying customer 

Aside from whatever state liquor laws in play, in the US private businesses can refuse service to anyone, at anytime and for any reason 

EXCEPT for those things that are protected classes:  gender, religion, race & sexual orientation

no idea how that applies under drink packages on cruises, is being over-served even in their lexicon?

• Like 1

This turned into quite the conversation.  Just my .02, but I see no issue with kids being in any bar, and if Royal did, they would institute a policy accordingly, like they do in the night clubs where you need to be 21+

And to add to the story, when my son was about 13, he didn't want to wait for me to get ready for dinner so he said he would meet me in the ding room.  On my way there I passed the pub on the Promenade and sure enough, there he was sitting AT THE BAR having a coke chatting with the people around him.  If you know my DS this is not unusual.  Now, this was many years ago, but no one seemed to have an issue with it back then. 

On 6/9/2024 at 9:17 AM, Sizzlechest said:

What do all bar areas have in common? Kids are not allowed at the high-top chairs. The other seats are a common area. The Rising Tide bar has all hightops. It was never intended for children.

Please don't come to Wisconsin. Our kids all sit at high top chairs at the bar while we wait for our fish fry, pizza or burgers- or a table in the bar where we can eat. It isn't a novelty to see kids in the bar at and gasp, sitting at the bar. My kids (now grown) took a ride on the rising tide bar enjoying a soft drink. Got to the top, with drink finished we got off.

2 minutes ago, WisconsinFan said:

Please don't come to Wisconsin. Our kids all sit at high top chairs at the bar while we wait for our fish fry, pizza or burgers- or a table in the bar where we can eat. It isn't a novelty to see kids in the bar at and gasp, sitting at the bar. My kids (now grown) took a ride on the rising tide bar enjoying a soft drink. Got to the top, with drink finished we got off.

Yes! I was waiting for an excuse to post this

https://www.revenue.wi.gov/Pages/FAQS/ise-atundrg.aspx

Screenshot_2024-06-12-14-14-06-58.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WorkingForOBC said:

In regards to #3, if you are under 21 but over 18 you are now an adult and as far as I understand it forget getting a drink because your parents are there! Most bars consider you now an adult and they don't serve 18-20 year olds. In general I don't know anyone personally who has bought their kid a drink who is under legal age at a bar.

2 minutes ago, WorkingForOBC said:

The last time I checked Royal Caribbean doesn't have a port of call in Wisconsin. Also, any jurisdictions liquor laws are irrelevant when the vendor chooses to implement stricter protocols, which they can do at their discretion.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tree_skier said:

The last time I checked Royal Caribbean doesn't have a port of call in Wisconsin. Also, any jurisdictions liquor laws are irrelevant when the vendor chooses to implement stricter protocols, which they can do at their discretion.

My point was more about the pearl clutching of seeing kids in the bar. In Seattle you can take your dog in the bar if you want. Now, if you aren't a fan of dogs in bars you might clutch your pearls about that as well.

• Haha 2

Just now, WisconsinFan said:

My point was more about the pearl clutching of seeing kids in the bar. In Seattle you can take your dog in the bar if you want. Now, if you aren't a fan of dogs in bars you might clutch your pearls about that as well.

I didn't quote your post.

As with many topics on this website, people love to share their OPINIONS, but attempt to disguise them as facts. Absent someone finding and posting a policy document from Royal Caribbean, I'd take everything that you read on this topic to be opinions. 

On the subject of opinions, my opinion is that children are customers too, and should be treated with equal respect as an adult. Most parents are taking their kids on a cruise to spend time with them. Let them do it however they want, until it actually interferes with your enjoyment. If it does, get up and find another area of the ship to enjoy.

More opinion...If you walk into a bar and see a child seated with their parent/guardian, find another seat, or another bar. The child doesn't need to be drinking a mocktail or soda to legitimize their seat. What legitimizes them occupying a seat is the fact that they are a paying passenger just like you! It's no different than an adult passenger that enjoys the bar scene but doesn't choose to purchase a drink. They earned the privilege of sitting in any bar, anywhere when they paid their cruise fare!

• Like 2