World Club Question

napria

Just got a massive Cunard brochure in the mail. In the back they have a graphic showing the different Cunard World Club levels and associated benefits.  Two questions: First, there are both ”number of voyages” and “nights on board” listed for each level.  Do you attain the level either/or? For instance, if I have completed two voyages of 5 nights each would that elevate me to Gold, despite not having 20 nights on board?

My other question is when will the benefit be rewarded? We have four voyages booked, and I’m wondering if the pin is mailed out or given to me on my voyage after the qualifying voyage. (ok, you can all mock me now, but I love pins and collect them from different aspects of my life).  The reason is that depending on how levels are calculated, I might not achieve gold status till after my first of my back to back voyages are completed and then the next day the second back to back will start… with no gold pin 😢

Thank you for your kind indulgence with this question. 

• Like 1

The levels are either/or, whichever is soonest.

For the pin, I went to the concierge desk on my third voyage and asked for it. They may have been mailed out in the past, but not any more. (Yes, I love pins, too!)

• Thanks 1

The promotion to a higher level is effective with the first voyage after qualification.  They used to deliver your pin to your stateroom but as the above response (and many other comments) indicates you now have to collect it. By the time we reached the Diamond level, the pin had been downgraded and wasn't nearly as attractive as the ones we received earlier.

My wife is also  a pin collector, especially for ships, trains and hotels.

The pin you now collect from the Purser's Desk, or if in Grills you can get the Concierge Desk to organise it. It used to be waiting in the stateroom on the first qualifying sailing but that went away some time ago. It comes in a litlle black fabric pouch.

The CWC level is achieved by trips or nights, which ever is first, so those who do shorties will get through the levels fairly quickly even if their night total isn't so high.

You get the new status after completing the relevant night / stay but on the next available sailing. So Gold is 2 voyages or 20 nights. You would only get Gold on sailing number 3, or on the sailing after you have gotten 20 nights. In other words you cannot be upgraded to the new level mid voyage, it's always next time.  

It is about time this was overhauled, as some benefits are becoming unworkable or pointless depending on which port embarkation is at.

Based purely on the number days, would be fairer! It seems ludicrous that you can become a Diamond WC after 15 x 3 nighters. I

I am sure many years ago to gain any progression the voyage had to be a minimum number of nights.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, LadyL1 said:

Based purely on the number days, would be fairer! It seems ludicrous that you can become a Diamond WC after 15 x 3 nighters. 

But than number of days looks rather unfair, too. 

One cruise, like a long part of a World cruise, and one is platinum.

One World cruise and one short one and one is diamond. 

Do one or two cruises really show loyalty?

My, probably unpopular, suggestion would be both, days and numbers of cruises, not either or, to really recognize loyality.

Edited by carlmm

To be quite honest there is very little in the CWC that is of that much benefit - a few $$$ of wifi, 20% off laundry, a few "free" drinks. All of which is trivial when compared to the cost of a cruise.

There is nothing in CWC that would make me desperately want to achieve a higher level unlike P&O's Peninsular Club where there are some significant advantages such as 10% on all (a couple of exceptions) purchases onboard, 5% discount off cruise prices.

It would make a lot more sense if Carnival had a unified loyalty scheme that was applicable across all brands.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, david63 said:

To be quite honest there is very little in the CWC that is of that much benefit - a few $$$ of wifi, 20% off laundry, a few "free" drinks. All of which is trivial when compared to the cost of a cruise.

The wifi credit is up to $135 so quite useful. Also Diamonds get a free alternative dining meal, probably worth $30-50 or so. Priority boarding is regular aspect of questions here, and though I personally don't value it, many clearly do. It would be good to have a few more loyalty baubles but if Cunard's ships get filled up then I don't see the evidence that Cunard / Carnival need to work harder in this area.

Thanks for all the replies.

Does anyone actually wear their pin? As I said, I collect pins, but don’t usually wear them.  However if there’s a time or place that others do, I would too.

18 minutes ago, napria said:

Does anyone actually wear their pin? As I said, I collect pins, but don’t usually wear them.  However if there’s a time or place that others do, I would too.

I have seen people wear them on formal nights.

42 minutes ago, david63 said:

There is nothing in CWC that would make me desperately want to achieve a higher level unlike P&O's Peninsular Club where there are some significant advantages such as 10% on all (a couple of exceptions) purchases onboard, 5% discount off cruise prices.

It would make a lot more sense if Carnival had a unified loyalty scheme that was applicable across all brands.

I think 135$ off WiFi which I would have bought anyway is worth having plus I enjoy the meal at  the Verandah. I don’t bother with the WC parties as they are not my thing. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

The wifi credit is up to $135 so quite useful. Also Diamonds get a free alternative dining meal, probably worth $30-50 or so.

I didn't say that they weren't useful or worth having just that they are not of a sufficient incentive to encourage me to spend a few thousand pounds to achieve that level and then to retain my loyalty with £150 of "freebies" which are built into the cruise price anyway.

I can get more benefit than that without costing me anything by buying 100 shares

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

I think 135$ off WiFi which I would have bought anyway is worth having plus I enjoy the meal at  the Verandah. I don’t bother with the WC parties as they are not my thing. 

Cheaper laundry service is always nice. 15 items for  $41 on our last cruise.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, napria said:

I certainly do at the CWC/Senior Officer receptions, but then again the Diamond Pin I wear is one of the original type, much neater rather than the gaudy tin flags on offer today.  It's even more personal for me when I'm cruising Cunard, as I had a local jeweller insert a very  small diamond into it taken from my late mother's ring.

I believe I'm not the only gentleman who has done this as I must admit I copied the idea from a couple of other seasoned Cunarders who wives had passed away    

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Cheaper laundry service is always nice. 15 items for  $41 on our last cruise.

I am really funny about laundry. However cheap it is I have to do it myself at home with my own machine. I won’t let anyone touch my washing. 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

I am really funny about laundry. However cheap it is I have to do it myself at home with my own machine. I won’t let anyone touch my washing. 

It is something I’m always happy for others to do. In fact, however, it is mainly my husband’s shirts that go to the laundry. It is the only time they get ironed!

Edited by exlondoner
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, napria said:

We've never worn ours but interestingly, pin wearing was quite prolific on the Canary cruise on QA, formal and non formal evenings.

2 hours ago, LadyL1 said:

It is about time this was overhauled, as some benefits are becoming unworkable or pointless depending on which port embarkation is at.

Based purely on the number days, would be fairer! It seems ludicrous that you can become a Diamond WC after 15 x 3 nighters. I

I am sure many years ago to gain any progression the voyage had to be a minimum number of nights.

I agree they need to rethink the qualification - it seems unfair that a 2 night trip in an inside cabin counts the same as a 2 week trip in a Q1.

it would be good if Cunard came up with a new higher tier based on spend .

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Se1lad said:

I agree they need to rethink the qualification - it seems unfair that a 2 night trip in an inside cabin counts the same as a 2 week trip in a Q1.

it would be good if Cunard came up with a new higher tier based on spend .

I had heard the scheme was up for revision.

Loyalty to me means regular booking of Cunard cruises, be it in a Q1or an inside although I think trips longer than shorties should be considered simply because location plays a part in the shorties as much as loyalty.

Good luck in fathoming any revision out Cunard! 😄

4 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I had heard the scheme was up for revision.

Loyalty to me means regular booking of Cunard cruises, be it in a Q1or an inside although I think trips longer than shorties should be considered simply because location plays a part in the shorties as much as loyalty.

Good luck in fathoming any revision out Cunard! 😄

Whatever they do will spark an outcry and claims of unfairness, stupidity, lack of commercial nous, etc, etc. I’m looking forward to it already.

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Whatever they do will spark an outcry and claims of unfairness, stupidity, lack of commercial nous, etc, etc. I’m looking forward to it already.

I'll order the popcorn. 😀

Although I'm not holding my  breath so might have to eat it before it becomes stale.😁

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 2