Luggage tag

alserrod

Are luggage tag holders necessary?

Or is it enough to print the labels on a sheet of paper, fold them and stick them properly?

portaetiquetas.thumb.jpg.d489b24bf29f24ba58daf9aeeda43656.jpg

I much prefer the holders. If you just staple the tags, they can tear off easily. Having seen how the luggage gets handled and loaded onto the ship, I don't have a lot of confidence that my luggage will make it to my room with just paper stapled tags intact. The holders are super cheap and reusable, so I don't know why you wouldn't just buy them. I think I paid ~$8 for each set I have (I have the skinny ones and the wide ones for the different cruise lines) and having used them on something like 23 cruises, I feel like I have gotten my money's worth! I have never not had a bag delivered to my room in a timely fashion on any cruise ship or line.

• Like 3

Just an FYI: I also put luggage tags on my carry-on bags. This was a very good thing in the past as I was thoroughly enjoying the benefits of my drink package on day #1 and forgot my electronics bag in a lounge. Fortunately, a crew member spotted it after I left and knew just where to take it due to my luggage tag.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

Just an FYI: I also put luggage tags on my carry-on bags. This was a very good thing in the past as I was thoroughly enjoying the benefits of my drink package on day #1 and forgot my electronics bag in a lounge. Fortunately, a crew member spotted it after I left and knew just where to take it due to my luggage tag.

Yes, indeed. I always do this too.

• Like 4

I used to just fold the paper and staple it on until we experienced "lost" luggage.  It was raining hard on embarkation and our paper tag just disentegrated and tore off, making the luggage "ownerless". We finally retrieved it from guest services where there were dozens of other luggages in similar situation.

38 minutes ago, dns20 said:

I used to just fold the paper and staple it on until we experienced "lost" luggage.  It was raining hard on embarkation and our paper tag just disentegrated and tore off, making the luggage "ownerless". We finally retrieved it from guest services where there were dozens of other luggages in similar situation.

My departure tag got ripped off once so there was a moment of panic in the terminal when my bag wasn't where it was supposed to be. One of the terminal staff pointed me to the unidentifiable luggage desk and luckily it was there. Ever since, I've used the tag holders for the departure tags as well.

12 hours ago, alserrod said:

Are luggage tag holders necessary? Or is it enough to print the labels on a sheet of paper, fold them and stick them properly?

If this is a one-and-done cruise, save your money. The vast majority of people do not use luggage tag holders. (Full disclosure, we use holders, but sail 6-7 times a year). Prior to that, we used to just have a small roll of packing tape, put a stripe on the back of the tags, then use the tape to secure the ends once we arrive in our departure city. 

On 6/11/2024 at 7:20 AM, alserrod said:

Are luggage tag holders necessary?

Or is it enough to print the labels on a sheet of paper, fold them and stick them properly?

portaetiquetas.thumb.jpg.d489b24bf29f24ba58daf9aeeda43656.jpg

I wrap our tags in clear packing tape and then staple them on the luggage handles.  Works great and protects the tags from water and handling,

6 minutes ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

I wrap our tags in clear packing tape and then staple them on the luggage handles.  Works great and protects the tags from water and handling,

What about when you are traveling with the luggage ahead of the cruise? You can't have the cruise luggage tags on your bags when you are checking them for flights. Do you bring packing tape and stapler with you?

Just now, JamieLogical said:

What about when you are traveling with the luggage ahead of the cruise? You can't have the cruise luggage tags on your bags when you are checking them for flights. Do you bring packing tape and stapler with you?

We usually don’t take cruises that require flights. We live close to the NY/NJ ports. Just once in Greece.  You could always wrap the tags and take a small stapler along with you and attach them after the flight I guess.

Posted (edited)

I’ve carried a mini stapler in the past.  Or if in a hotel, ask at the front desk for tape or stapler.  It’s probably been ten years since I carried this stapler…EM

IMG_1296.jpeg

IMG_1297.jpeg

Edited by Essiesmom

22 minutes ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

We usually don’t take cruises that require flights. We live close to the NY/NJ ports. Just once in Greece.  You could always wrap the tags and take a small stapler along with you and attach them after the flight I guess.

I think I will stick with my easily removable and reusable luggage tag holders that I paid $8 for and have used for dozens of cruises.... I just stick them in the front pocket of my bag with the appropriate luggage tag already inserted, attach them at the hotel or airport before heading to the cruise port, then remove them and tuck them back in that same front pocket before heading to the airport after my cruise.

Carrying a stapler and tape or asking for assistance at the hotel seems like way too much work to save $8 when I pay thousands of dollars to cruise every year...

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I think I will stick with my easily removable and reusable luggage tag holders that I paid $8 for and have used for dozens of cruises.... I just stick them in the front pocket of my bag with the appropriate luggage tag already inserted, attach them at the hotel or airport before heading to the cruise port, then remove them and tuck them back in that same front pocket before heading to the airport after my cruise.

Carrying a stapler and tape or asking for assistance at the hotel seems like way too much work to save $8 when I pay thousands of dollars to cruise every year...

Yes it’s easier for sure to have the covers but my concern would be the possibility of them breaking off from the luggage.  I staple the heck out of my tags.  They’re not going anywhere.  I guess if the tags are super strong then it’s a good option.  I’ve seen how they handle our luggage “behind the scenes” when I was working on the ships; the luggage can get a bit tossed about.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

Yes it’s easier for sure to have the covers but my concern would be the possibility of them breaking off from the luggage.  I staple the heck out of my tags.  They’re not going anywhere.  I guess if the tags are super strong then it’s a good option.  I’ve seen how they handle our luggage “behind the scenes” when I was working on the ships; the luggage can get a bit tossed about.

The ones I have have metal grommets for the steel cable to pass through and the steel cable screws closed. I think my bag handle would break off before the luggage tag did. 😋

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

The ones I have have metal grommets for the steel cable to pass through and the steel cable screws closed. I think my bag handle would break off before the luggage tag did. 😋

I love those with the steel cable and cable screws.  But I find them more and more difficult to screw on/off the older I get.  Silly old fingers are not as nimble as they once were.

1 minute ago, Sharon_and_TC said:

I love those with the steel cable and cable screws.  But I find them more and more difficult to screw on/off the older I get.  Silly old fingers are not as nimble as they once were.

That is definitely a valid issue with them. If you have arthritis or trouble with fine motor skills, they would be difficult to attach yourself.

7 hours ago, Sharon_and_TC said:

I know.....

my problem too! I am this close to just zip tie them. 

On 6/12/2024 at 2:27 PM, JamieLogical said:

And you get use them again and again

My travel agent sent those luggage tag holders to me for free when I booked my cruise with her. That, and she printed out all of my cruise documents and mailed them to me, in the same package. It was so nice to have one less step to accomplish before my cruise! I'm a customer for life now 😀