Sometimes the planning sucks the joy right out...

I've been looking at flights to Seattle. I miss flying from Boise...anyway now that we are way over in Texas...My options are to leave my house at 3am to make a 7am flight to get to Seattle...and spend over $500+ for one night's stay close to the pier.  (Can you tell I'm a bit bitter about not being able to fly in same day? lol)  So the other options get us in well after sundown (8:30 pm) so I've opted to just stay in a much cheaper hotel at the airport. Then head to the port the next morning for an 11:30 check in. 

After much reading I've decided an 11:00 return flight would be cutting it too close so I'll probably book a flight closer to 2pm..getting us back at 11:30 pm. Another cheap hotel at the return airport because I dont want to die on the 2+ hour drive home...

Ok, done venting lol  But I am open to suggestions...(flight dates arent flexible because of DH work schedule)  I'm sure the cruise will be wonderful. 

PS-I think we will take the train to the port so we dont have to deal with traffic (Friday) in an Uber??  So check out of the hotel, back to the airport to walk to the train and then Uber from the train stop to the pier 91, right?? Then the learning curve as we board our first time on RC...  (Ovation)

Yes I am excited for this cruise. Just not enjoying the travel plans. 🤪  So HMU with your opinions!!😁

2 minutes ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

I feel your pain.  We recently moved from CA to San Antonio and it's cheaper to fly to Germany than to Sacramento.    

We are flying out of San Antonio! I love the people here but I miss the west, especially my kids and grandkids...and cooler temperatures lol  I hope Alaska is a nice cool down for us. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, snorkler8 said:

We are flying out of San Antonio! I love the people here but I miss the west, especially my kids and grandkids...and cooler temperatures lol  I hope Alaska is a nice cool down for us. 

We came to San Antonio to be closer to kids and grandkids who the Army had sent all over the World for 20 years.  I agree I miss CA, but not the taxes and politics.  We are headed to HI next week and I'm looking forward to the cooler weather.  We are at the Del Webb and split our time in MX. 

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, snorkler8 said:

So check out of the hotel, back to the airport to walk to the train and then Uber from the train stop to the pier 91, right?? Then the learning curve as we board our first time on RC...  (Ovation)

My friend, so sorry to tell you that Pier 91 is a couple miles north of DT Seattle, so unless you are really trying to save money, it would make more sense to just take an Uber/Lyft or taxi directly to Pier 91 from your hotel.

• Like 1

For San Antonio to Seattle, I just checked the Google flights and there is a non-stop flight at 7AM and arrives at 9:23 AM, which you can definitely do a same day flight without overnight stay in Seattle.

For Seattle to San Antonio, Alaska has a red-eye flight that departs 11pm and arrives 5AM. If you don't want to do that, maybe you can consider stay in Seattle for one night for some post cruise tour (either with a company or yourself), then take the flight home the next morning? Again Alaska has a 11am non stop flight and arrives 5-ish pm.

Thank you mkkao924. I had to give the planning a rest last night. I have to work today but will hit it again tonight as I will have even less choice as the date gets closer. I found a better deal on a hotel close to the port which may make it worth getting up and doing the earlier flight...but I'm too chicken to do same day lol Better to shell out a bit more money than lose it all. 

16 hours ago, mkkao924 said:

For San Antonio to Seattle, I just checked the Google flights and there is a non-stop flight at 7AM and arrives at 9:23 AM, which you can definitely do a same day flight without overnight stay in Seattle.

For Seattle to San Antonio, Alaska has a red-eye flight that departs 11pm and arrives 5AM. If you don't want to do that, maybe you can consider stay in Seattle for one night for some post cruise tour (either with a company or yourself), then take the flight home the next morning? Again Alaska has a 11am non stop flight and arrives 5-ish pm.

I cannot recommend flying in same day   All it takes is one equipment problem or one weather event and that’s all she wrote. We are only a 3 1/2 hour train ride from Seattle and still go in a day early as we have seen delays a and landslides that mess with travel

We've stayed at the Fairfield Inn near Seatac, shuttle from the airport, breakfast included and they even shuttled us to 13 Coins for dinner.  Love Embassy Suites but too much $$$ now for a short overnight stay.

PS-I think we will take the train to the port so we don't have to deal with traffic (Friday) in an Uber??  So check out of the hotel, back to the airport to walk to the train and then Uber from the train stop to the pier 91, right?? Then the learning curve as we board our first time on RC...  (Ovation)

Personally I would not do that in a million years, too much time and not a fan of dragging my luggage anymore than I have to.  We Uber and not an issue, also check out Seattle Express they do hotel pick ups and seem quite reasonable.  Plus when I've been at the Port in Seattle I've seen their shuttles arriving and departing frequently so I would feel comfortable booking with them.

3 hours ago, Sprocket said:

We've stayed at the Fairfield Inn near Seatac, shuttle from the airport, breakfast included and they even shuttled us to 13 Coins for dinner.  Love Embassy Suites but too much $$$ now for a short overnight stay.

PS-I think we will take the train to the port so we don't have to deal with traffic (Friday) in an Uber??  So check out of the hotel, back to the airport to walk to the train and then Uber from the train stop to the pier 91, right?? Then the learning curve as we board our first time on RC...  (Ovation)

Personally I would not do that in a million years, too much time and not a 

On 6/11/2024 at 4:37 PM, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

I feel your pain.  We recently moved from CA to San Antonio and it's cheaper to fly to Germany than to Sacramento.    

I cant seem to be able to just add another comment, but update: I took a deep breath and booked the 7am flight.  I know I will hate myself that morning, but it will get us into Seattle at 9:30 so we will have the whole day to see Seattle. Its been years since we have been there so it will be fun...even if we will feel like the walking dead lol

I found a good deal on a hotel downtown (A kind person on a FB group for our cruise that arranged a good group price at the Westin.)  Its also booked and I have figured out the Link Light Rail will get us to the hotel from Sea-Tac ($3, 40 minute ride) drop us a block from the hotel. Near this hotel is also Monorail which will take us to Seattle Center for $1.50..or we can walk 4 blocks to Pike's Place. Now if I can just survive the morning of drive to the airport lol

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, snorkler8 said:

I cant seem to be able to just add another comment, but update: I took a deep breath and booked the 7am flight.  I know I will hate myself that morning, but it will get us into Seattle at 9:30 so we will have the whole day to see Seattle.

I got no sympathy for you, we leave Saturday at 0530 hrs from SAT to SMF and then to Hawaii.  Hopefully the 1604 won't have construction, lol.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

I got no sympathy for you, we leave Saturday at 0530 hrs from SAT to SMF and then to Hawaii.  Hopefully the 1604 won't have construction, lol.  

LOL  You win.  But you dont beat me by much. I will be leaving my house to head to San Antonio at 4am...why do we book these early flight?! 🤪lol

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, snorkler8 said:

LOL  You win.  But you dont beat me by much. I will be leaving my house to head to San Antonio at 4am...why do we book these early flight?! 🤪lol

make sure on the light rail to purchase a senior ticket if you qualify.  I thinks the price is only $1.00  Also, keep your ticket easily acccesible incase the fare collector police want to take a look at it.  Maybe purchase a day pass instead of individual tickets ( might b able to use it on the Monorail, but not to sure).  If you like Naval History, take the ferry ( either the slow one or the foot ferry) over to Bremerton.  Very nice cruise thru Elliott Bay,  Free Naval Museum just outside the ferry terminal in Bremerton.  Wonderful Seattle skyline views coming and going.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2024 at 2:26 PM, snorkler8 said:

and spend over $500+ for one night's stay close to the pier.

Why are you trying to stay close to the pier?  Pier 91 isn't close to anything.

You are paying too much and you are over-complicating your stay and ground transportation to and from the port.

You can get a nice place to stay for $275-375 in south King County, basically any of the major brand hotels around SeaTac or Southcenter.  We are sailing out of Pier 91 later this summer and have booked a room at the Ceaderbrook Lodge for the night before.  Look it up on Google, it is located in a residential area on the hillside outside of SeaTac, up the hill from the huge DoubleTree property.  Prior experience, Ceaderbrook to Pier 91 via UberX will run you $50-80 depending on time of day, surge pricing, and tip.  UberXL will be closer to $75-100.  But either way, you get door to door transport.  Ceaderbrook is more expensive than the chain/franchise hotels, but the service is excellent, the on-site restaurant is good, but pricey, and the rooms are very comfortable and clean.  It is a great way to start a cruise.

Don't worry about rush hour.  You'll get there.  I'm not sure your first boarding time, or the all aboard times, but with normal traffic, SeaTac hotels to Pier 91 is about 40 minutes.  I suspect that RCI does things similar to the other lines that use Pier 91.  So you'll end up boarding about mid-day, all aboard somewhere between 3 and 5pm.  Traffic on the best routes to Pier 91 from the SeaTac area isn't terrible, especially mid day.  With heavy traffic, an hour would be about the worst.  The route doesn't go via I-5, which is the road to avoid.  Most rideshare drivers will take a combination of Hwys 509, 99 and surface streets in Seattle proper.  If I were driving it in my own car, it would be 509 to 99, and then get off 99 before the tunnel and then Alaskan Way to Elliott, to Western, back to Elliott and then to the odd interchange that takes you to the port.  Last time I did an Uber, they did exactly this.

Avoid the light rail.  Frankly it is not for the faint of heart.  Last year rode the light rail from the light rail station at King Street Station back down to the station at SeaTac and open drug use was visible in the station area along with the aroma of human waste, and lots of sketchy people meandering around aimlessly.  It got better once you were on the train, but for the first few stops there were some genuinely odd people getting on and off the train.

Look, you have likely spent thousands of dollars on the cruise, you are probably in it at least a thousand for your flights.  Ground transport in the port city will run you another couple hundred, plus you have pre and post cruise lodging, that will push $500.  Travel isn't cheap, especially these days.  You aren't going to be able to shave more than a few percentage points off from your ground transportation cost if you try to cobble together public transit and ride share, and your lodging cost in Seattle feels really out of wack.  The place where you can save money does seem to be your lodging, but as a traveler that needs to get from point A to B reliably and without fuss, trying to do a mix of public transit and ride share just to save $25 doesn't make a lot of sense.

Change where you are staying to someplace closer to the airport and less expensive, and rely on rideshare to get you to and from the airport, airport hotel and pier, and your life will be a lot easier.

• Like 1

Jeromep-  Thank you for all the info!  We have booked the flight, decided for about $100 more we can stay at the Weston rather than at the airport (reviews really had me thinking not clean or safe...and we got a good deal on a group rate set up). By taking an early flight it will give us all day to tool around Seattle...as a sleep deprived zombie, but hey lol.  

I have looked into the Link Light which is incredibly inexpensive...and may be educational from what you describe lol.  It will get us one block from our hotel and the hotel said we can dump our suitcases off so we can go explore until we get checked in (Our flight gets there at 9:30 am) Its less than 2 miles form the pier so an Uber is what we will use...unless hubby thinks he's all buff and we will drag our luggage and walk...depends on weather, I'll be down for that....maybe lol

You are right about $$$ for this vacation, but it's for our 40th wedding anniversary so I've been a little less tight fisted...but love to save where I can.  I'm going to see the train ride as an adventure Lol.  

GTG to work but will be back at planning tonight 😃

I feel your pain too...... Flying from the East Coast to the West..........times are always funky😮......more coming back than going but I do understand. You are central time (if I am not mistaken),

On 6/19/2024 at 3:28 PM, Lois R said:

I feel your pain too...... Flying from the East Coast to the West..........times are always funky😮......more coming back than going but I do understand. You are central time (if I am not mistaken),

Yes, we are 2 hours ahead of Seattle time. Not horrible...what really kills me is when we go to Hawaii.  5 hour difference if you go after March. January and February are the best months to go anyway (beat the heat).

But this cruise has now become exciting.  Everything is booked, including a royal up bid we got. We moved from an OV to a balcony. Now I'm really excited lol 😃