How much time needed at MIA after a cruise to check bags and get to gate?

We have never cruised out of MIA before. We have a Carnival cruise out of MIA in October.

At the airport in FLL after our first cruise, the line to check bags was SO long we thought we'd miss our flight. (and we were there pretty early!) After about 5 minutes I remembered I had upgraded us to first class so we could use a shorter check-in line. After that, all our cruises out of FLL we did EZ check for our bags so we never had to wait in line, just went straight to TSA. Never having flown out of MIA before with a ton of other cruise ships, I'm wondering how much time is needed at the airport to stand in line to check bags (no EZ check with Carnival and MIA) and get to the gate on time? We will leave the ship around 8:30AM, take an Uber, and our flight is at 12noon. I figured we could also check the skycap line outside too to see if it's shorter than inside. 

I understand MIA is a nightmare, just wondering if I'm cutting it close and should take the next flight at 2PM?

You should definitely make a Noon flight. I recommend you leave the ship earlier than 8:30AM if that's an option and use a taxi (because they're already outside in line) rather than a rideshare. Also, it greatly helps if you have TSA PreCheck because security lines at MIA can be horrendous, especially if you're flying AA. If you're flying someone else besides AA, so much the better.

Thanks for the responses. We have instead chosen a 2PM departure. (and it's Delta) I just didn't want to rush and be stressed out. If we end up getting to the airport in time for the noon flight I'll ask if they can put us on. If not, we just wait. 

16 hours ago, Bollycats said:

Thanks for the responses. We have instead chosen a 2PM departure. (and it's Delta) I just didn't want to rush and be stressed out. If we end up getting to the airport in time for the noon flight I'll ask if they can put us on. If not, we just wait. 

Good move.

There was two pieces of critical information you didn't provide and that is do you have TSA Precheck and what date in the year are you flying.  Both are key factors.

While noon probably would have been OK if you don't like stress it's nice not to have to rush.

Enjoy your cruise.

On 6/14/2024 at 8:21 AM, Bollycats said:

Hmmm....Since you do have TSA...personally you should have taken the noon flight to ATL and get off the ship sooner than 8:30am. We have even used the shared shuttle (big signs easy to find just outside the terminal door) for our noon flight. It's $10.00pp and fills up quickly and we were easily at MIA long before our flight time.

That's a long wait at MIA for you but best of luck.

• Like 1

If you self debark early, you'll have much better luck making your flight.  However, security lines are MIA can be LONG.  We once waited 2 hours in that line...with many who ultimately missed their flights.  

today, half the folks on the ship want to 'self debark early' ..... defeating the entire idea. I'm with you, book the later flight and reduce stress!

I'm typically in the 'board late' club too ... skip the 'me first' crush

3 hours ago, Capt_BJ said:

today, half the folks on the ship want to 'self debark early' ..... defeating the entire idea. I'm with you, book the later flight and reduce stress!

I'm typically in the 'board late' club too ... skip the 'me first' crush

This is when staying in a suite comes in handy since they walk you off before everyone else.