"Bribing" Maitre d' to get better table/waiter

stan01

1 hour ago, swjumbo said:

In reply to the original question……

We were advised by regular Cunard cruisers to give the MD some $$ when we first boarded to ensure a decent table.

We do like to sit on our own and don’t care where it is, just don’t like being too close to anyone.

On entering Queens Grill for luncheon last year, I gave the MD some $$ for a quiet table as advised by our Cunard friends. He promised to sort it out for us and, my goodness, it was money well spent.

Our original table was very, very close to another table with a couple on it. There was about 6 inches between the tables. He was charming, she was not.

That evening our table was in a different location, not by the window but right at the back overlooking the entire restaurant. Bliss. 

The staff were amazing, MD charming and meals spectacular.

It would have been a horrible voyage if we’d been frowned upon by our previous neighbour every mealtime.

We’ve got PG booked on QA in a few months time, QG on QM2 next year and will do the same on these ships too.

No doubt people will berate me for this but to be honest, seeing the bad behaviour by some entitled passengers, I don’t think that giving the staff a few extra $$ is really that bad.

I can't think many Cunard regulars would advocate the bribe system as opposed to a quiet word as Cunard regulars would be aware change of table is usually facilitated by the M d'h after the first day if at all possible.

As to giving the staff a few extra $$, I'm all for it, at the end of the cruise.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, swjumbo said:

We were advised by regular Cunard cruisers to give the MD some $$ when we first boarded to ensure a decent table.

We do like to sit on our own and don’t care where it is, just don’t like being too close to anyone.

On entering Queens Grill for luncheon last year, I gave the MD some $$ for a quiet table as advised by our Cunard friends. He promised to sort it out for us and, my goodness, it was money well spent.

Our original table was very, very close to another table with a couple on it. There was about 6 inches between the tables. He was charming, she was not.

That evening our table was in a different location, not by the window but right at the back overlooking the entire restaurant. Bliss. 

It would have been a horrible voyage if we’d been frowned upon by our previous neighbour every mealtime.

We’ve got PG booked on QA in a few months time, QG on QM2 next year and will do the same on these ships too.

No doubt people will berate me for this but to be honest, seeing the bad behaviour by some entitled passengers, I don’t think that giving the staff a few extra $$ is really that bad.

I think you are making a rather large assumption that your $$'s got you a move, it is most likely that you would've been moved anyway following a discussion with the M'd, I'd imagine the extra $$ is simply an added bonus for doing the job. 

That said, I still don't like the thought of the M'd accepting it in the first place, it just gives the impression that "bribery" is acceptable.

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

As to giving the staff a few extra $$, I'm all for it, at the end of the cruise.

Totally Agree! You get the total picture what you would like to show appreciate and amount.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, swjumbo said:

How do you know the other couple we’re not equally disenchanted having  had you as a nearby table companion ? In your eyes money well spent but that table you were given was obviously available so probably could have been secured for free by just requesting politely.
What would you have done if you had given the bribe and then not liked the table offered ? Asked for a refund ? I  nearly always have had my table changed in Britannia as it has either been sharing or too close to others and a polite friendly please and thank you has always  got me by.

Having only been in the Grills I couldn’t comment about Britannia but you’re correct in your first statement.

They were probably equally happy we weren’t there so it’s win-win for all involved.

Not bribery but incentive! X

38 minutes ago, swjumbo said:

Having only been in the Grills I couldn’t comment about Britannia but you’re correct in your first statement.

They were probably equally happy we weren’t there so it’s win-win for all involved.

Not bribery but incentive! X

Incentives usually take time to have an effect but as staff, senior staff here don't need incentives because looking after their guests is part of their remit, it's insulting of any guest to assume a bribe will enhance their chance of whatever it is they're hoping for when in fact, a quiet word would have the same effect if the request was feasible.

Try the quiet word next time and change the bribe to an extra gratuity at the end of your cruise.

• Like 2

Some might say that as returning guests that the staff know very well, by tipping at the end one is in fact tipping (ahem bribing) in advance of the next cruise🤔😉

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wonky said:

Some might say that as returning guests that the staff know very well, by tipping at the end one is in fact tipping (ahem bribing) in advance of the next cruise🤔😉

That may well be the case, but tipping at the end is the norm and would not be seen by others as a blatant "bribe".

Those who "bribe" upfront may believe they are gaining an advantage, the reality is they are most likely being taken advantage of by the recipients 😉.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, S1971 said:

That may well be the case, but tipping at the end is the norm and would not be seen by others as a blatant "bribe".

Those who "bribe" upfront may believe they are gaining an advantage, the reality is they are most likely being taken advantage of by the recipients 😉.

And considered rather tacky in the process.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Drumbeat16 said:

I don't understand the lengths people will go to for the sake of a dining table - hopefully I never get that precious 😕 

To be fair, I can understand the fact there are table positions, and then there are table positions.

Then there are large tables with the occasional 'character' one wishes to avoid for the rest of the cruise.

We have been very fortunate  after our 'boondocks table' on our first cruise as we were blessed with one particular large table [no bribes involved] on QV thanks to linking up bookings with Q1'ers and then being known in our own right, apart from one horrendous table when four of us asked to move due to a particularly obnoxious 'gentleman'. No problem at all. That table for seven became a table for three and we each had a two top elsewhere.

Since Covid, we prefer two tops and again, have been very fortunate but that's probably due to our cabin as much as being regulars.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Drumbeat16 said:

I don't understand the lengths people will go to for the sake of a dining table - hopefully I never get that precious 😕 

Aloha.  Generally I don't care about whether I am near a window but do care if our assigned table for two is near the galley or entrance or near a large table. In that case I will politely request a change and if granted will offer a gesture of thanks.  If not granted and if it is something I am uncomfortable with then I will seek out a higher up and the up front providing of a gesture of thanks always results in success.  It is always done discreetly and I never would even think of disrespectful requests such as move someone else.

16 minutes ago, LouChamp said:

Aloha.  Generally I don't care about whether I am near a window but do care if our assigned table for two is near the galley or entrance or near a large table. In that case I will politely request a change and if granted will offer a gesture of thanks.  If not granted and if it is something I am uncomfortable with then I will seek out a higher up and the up front providing of a gesture of thanks always results in success.  It is always done discreetly and I never would even think of disrespectful requests such as move someone else.

If you want moving you are effectively moving someone else…though if they haven’t yet appeared for their first meal it’s a bit Schroedinger’s…

…so having said that I’m going to make sure we have lunch in PG on boarding QA this Sunday to check we aren’t next to a galley… window would be nice but only having been on Cunard once before I know we won’t get that!! 

40 minutes ago, LouChamp said:

So a bribe to get what you want. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

If you want moving you are effectively moving someone else…though if they haven’t yet appeared for their first meal it’s a bit Schroedinger’s…

…so having said that I’m going to make sure we have lunch in PG on boarding QA this Sunday to check we aren’t next to a galley… window would be nice but only having been on Cunard once before I know we won’t get that!! 

Aloha. I respectfully disagree. Restaurants and theatres and hotels intentionally hold tables for last minute changes and needs. In some locales it is quietly known for gratuitous expressions of appreciation. I will tell you that being in such an industry and in some locations the maitre'd will have actually (and rudely) look at the gratuity which determines the level of accommodation. I am not condoning the practice but that is the reality.

7 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

So a bribe to get what you want. 

Aloha. You may interpret it as a bribe when it is actually a respectful request for a special accommodation.

Just now, LouChamp said:

Aloha. I respectfully disagree. Restaurants and theatres and hotels intentionally hold tables for last minute changes and needs. In some locales it is quietly known for gratuitous expressions of appreciation. I will tell you that being in such an industry and in some locations the maitre'd will have actually (and rudely) look at the gratuity which determines the level of accommodation. I am not condoning the practice but that is the reality.

I think the discussion is whether this is done or should be done on Cunard

If it's done, I think it's wrong. It's a bribe...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, LouChamp said:

Aloha. You may interpret it as a bribe when it is actually a respectful request for a special accommodation.

Disagree - because Cunard has their tip surcharge (whatever they call it) - paying that I expect them to distribute it properly and fairly which should include the maitre d's

• Like 1

1 minute ago, buchanan101 said:

I think the discussion is whether this is done or should be done on Cunard

If it's done, I think it's wrong. It's a bribe...

Aloha. In my 40 plus years of sailing Cunard in all the classes and blessed to sail in many of her ships I have never had the need to provide such accommodation.  Service is spectacular and delightful.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

To be fair, I can understand the fact there are table positions, and then there are table positions.

Then there are large tables with the occasional 'character' one wishes to avoid for the rest of the cruise.

We have been very fortunate  after our 'boondocks table' on our first cruise as we were blessed with one particular large table [no bribes involved] on QV thanks to linking up bookings with Q1'ers and then being known in our own right, apart from one horrendous table when four of us asked to move due to a particularly obnoxious 'gentleman'. No problem at all. That table for seven became a table for three and we each had a two top elsewhere.

Since Covid, we prefer two tops and again, have been very fortunate but that's probably due to our cabin as much as being regulars.

The amount of money you give Cunard you should get the best tables! I fully expect that to be the way it works (saying that not expecting much on our second only cruise this Sunday)

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, LouChamp said:

But you can get that anyway if you ask appropriately and it is available without any money changing hands. At the end of the day I don’t feel I have any more rights than anyone else over a better table location. Some one has to sit by the galley etc.. Yes I would prefer a certain location but would not demean myself to bribe someone into giving me my own way. I ask politely and for me more importantly my integrity remains intact. If I am successful well good and to be honest I have never not but then my demands are not that precious. 

Edited by Winifred 22
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

But you can get that anyway if you ask appropriately and it is available without any money changing hands. At the end of the day I don’t feel I have any more rights than anyone else over a better table location. Some one has to sit by the galley etc.. Yes I would prefer a certain location but would not demean myself to bribe someone into giving me my own way. I ask politely and for me more importantly my integrity remains intact. If I am successful well good and to be honest I have never not but then my demands are not that precious. 

Spot on. I have no problem at all if those in most expensive cabins and most regular travellers have priority - I guess particularly appropriate to QG where the range of cabin prices is huge. We are in PG this Sunday, and there are only two marginally different classes (PG2s are lowest and highest decks, PG1s have cabins below and above), so I guess seating positions only go on loyalty levels in PG

23 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

The amount of money you give Cunard you should get the best tables!

The point is that the "best tables" is subjective and in any event not everybody can have the "best table" unless they are sitting on one another's laps!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, david63 said:

The point is that the "best tables" is subjective and in any event not everybody can have the "best table" unless they are sitting on one another's laps!

It is, as I have said in the past but again to be fair, if window tables are requested or large tables in a certain area then that's what the higher tier cabins will get [large table areas subject to number of tables planned] and again, once 'you' are known as a regular, your preference will be kept in mind by the Maître d'Hotel, when the tables are planned.