Baby equipment/boarding time

As regular cruisers with P&O we had no hesitation in suggesting that my son, his family + his disabled elderly mother in law went on a 7 day Norweigian Firord Cruise on 29th June. They booked direct with P&O and at the time of booking stressed that they needed a cot for their 9 month old baby as well as sterilising equipment and baby food. The P&O booking agent assured them that all would be taken care of and that my son's wife would be listed as her mother's carer. 

They have now found out 

1. That there is no record of a cot being required 

2 That no baby food nor sterilising equipment has been ordered and that it is too late for that to be ordered now 

3 That although my son and family have been given a boarding time of 12.15 his Mother in Law has been given a boading time of 2.00pm. P&O are adament that this cannot be changed even though the booking was linked

They have tried to explain that this is not acceptable but have had no joy 

Does anyone have any ideas about how to overcome these problems which are putting a real damper on the cruise especially as it is their first time  

Sorry for your troubles. It’s not acceptable.

Re points 1 and 2. It’s not too late. I suggest ringing again and hoping you get a more experienced member of staff. If not, ask your cabin steward for the steriliser and cot. I’d be surprised if that many babies are on board that they have run out.

Baby food is ordered from room service as you need it, although they should take an advance order.

As for arrival times, the official line is arrive at the time of the latest cabin. Linked bookings don’t get influence in boarding times - it’s done by deck/loyalty status. In my experience if you put the earlier boarding passes in too, you’ll be let through as a group.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

1. i would suggest they take their own travel cot and deliver it with the suitcases. I appreciate this isn't ideal and I would complain, but to get around the issue it is better than using the sofa bed and the safey bars given the age of the child and safe sleep recommendations. i also always took my own matress and sheets due to SIDs risks on all holidays when our son was under 2.

2. I always used cold water sterilising tablets (from Boots) and took my own sterilising bowl (which was actually a large lunchbox, but it was the perfect size and handy to pack in the suitcase and put the drying mat, cloths, tablets etc). It works really well and is very quick and easy. I never used ships baby food: I preferred to take our own so I know that our son would like it and wouldn't have allergic reactions etc (which are common at that age). Also the MDR will blend/mash food if asked, and provide things off menu, like a bowl of peas and carrots etc, if they are baby led weaning.

3. All the party can just board together: either at the earlier or later time. Linked bookings only apply to dining, not boarding. However, on the days they check boarding passes they only check one in my experience so just show them the earlier time one. 

I appreciate it's annoying that the food and equipment hasn't been ordered, but it's really not worth ruining the holiday for.

Edited to add: I also know from experience that MANY passengers take babies onboard and don't order anything in advance and they still get them provided, but it will be what's available, rather than what's requested.

Edited by Cloudyrain

Just now, Cloudyrain said:

1. i would suggest they take their own travel cot and deliver it with the suitcases. I appreciate this isn't ideal and I would complain, but to get around the issue it is better than using the sofa bed and the safey bars given the age of the child and safe sleep recommendations.

2. I always used cold water sterilising tablets (from Boots) and took my own sterilising bowl (which was actually a large lunchbox, but it was the perfect size and handy to pack in the suitcase and put the drying mat, cloths, tablets etc). It works really well and is very quick and easy. I never used ships baby food: I preferred to take our own so I know that our son would like it and wouldn't have allergic reactions etc (which are common at that age). Also the MDR will blend/mash food if asked, and provide things off menu, like a bowl of peas and carrots etc, if they are baby led weaning.

3. All the party can just board together: either at the earlier or later time. Linked bookings only apply to dining, not boarding. However, on the days they check boarding passes they only check one in my experience so just show them the earlier time one. 

I appreciate it's annoying that the food and equipment hasn't been ordered, but it's really not worth ruining the holiday for.

Option 1: the only way around it is asking P&O to replay the phone conversation between you and them where you request baby food and steriliser in your cabin as they are all recorded and saved for 10 years at their call centre to prove they promised baby food and baby sterilising equipment (if no note has been made on the booking its the call handler at fault and its P&O Cruises issue for making a customer service promise that they failed to honour) you may get a full refund for the cabin prices but you may lose the deposit cost of the cruise.

Option 2: ask P&O cruises if you could bring your own baby steriliser and baby food aboard yourselves and get it in writing if they say yes in case anyone inside the terminal stops and questions you. 

Option 3 and this is only a last resort to stop you losing any money you have paid is to ask if anyone members of your family would be willing to look after and take care of your baby for a week if you can not get a refund or you can not bring your own baby bottle steriliser and baby food aboard yourselves.

IF and I say IF all the above options fails then you won't be able to cancel the cruise as you will lose all your money including any deposit you have paid but you may be able to transfer the cruise to another date free of charge providing you have not transferred your cruise before to accommodate your needs and when or if you can move it to another date get it in writing that baby food and a baby bottle steriliser will be provided in your cabin so you have prove of that part of the conversation (also always ask for the call handlers first and last name, also write down time they answered and ended the call and on what date. 

Yes,  I agree it is annoying when thing such as this happen.

That said, none are unworkable and the suggestions already made should see you ok.

I'm almost certain you'll get what's needed for the baby once onboard.

As for boarding, worst case scenario is you all board at the later time, it's just over an hour, but as has been said, present your earlier boarding time and I'm sure you'll have no problems.

Didn't even realise that they worried about the assigned check in times. Nobody has ever checked ours (or, if they have, they have never said anything about being early).

Just been lucky I guess 

3 minutes ago, Burgmeister said:

Didn't even realise that they worried about the assigned check in times. Nobody has ever checked ours (or, if they have, they have never said anything about being early).

Just been lucky I guess 

When did you last cruise?  They are much stricter now. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

When did you last cruise?  They are much stricter now. 

October 23

We'll have to be more punctual in August. We always stay overnight in a hotel and then have a leisurely start to the day before heading down to the port and we kind of get there when we get there. 

Edited by Burgmeister

14 minutes ago, Burgmeister said:

Just been lucky I guess 

So you have not been made to wait in the naughty queue outside? You have been very lucky.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

So you have not been made to wait in the naughty queue outside? You have been very lucky.

No, we haven't.....yet! I guess that it all depends on how busy they are at the time you arrive and we've never been knocking on the door waiting for them to open.

Must have been lucky. Hopefully our luck will hold for our next cruise too! (Although, maybe we'll get really lucky and be assigned a reasonable check in time in the first place!!).

We now have a little status but we have also booked a cabin for our daughter and her fella so, if they get a later check in time than us then, if questioned, we'll just flash the earlier check in documentation - as recommended above 

Edit: if we do get asked to stand in a queue then my wife will need a chair - presumably that would be supplied on request?

Edited by Burgmeister
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Burgmeister said:

October 23

We'll have to be more punctual in August. We always stay overnight in a hotel and then have a leisurely start to the day before heading down to the port and we kind of get there when we get there. 

It is hit and miss, you may be lucky, but they do enforce times when busy, especially when the coaches are arriving as they get priority. 

We have arrived early twice, once straight on, the other we had to wait. 

Andy 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Burgmeister said:

No, we haven't.....yet! I guess that it all depends on how busy they are at the time you arrive and we've never been knocking on the door waiting for them to open.

Must have been lucky. Hopefully our luck will hold for our next cruise too! (Although, maybe we'll get really lucky and be assigned a reasonable check in time in the first place!!).

We now have a little status but we have also booked a cabin for our daughter and her fella so, if they get a later check in time than us then, if questioned, we'll just flash the earlier check in documentation - as recommended above 

Edit: if we do get asked to stand in a queue then my wife will need a chair - presumably that would be supplied on request?

You ahve been lucky. I hope things have changed from when we tried to board Iona with our family last year.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Burgmeister said:

If you are in the too early queue there have been no chairs available unless you have assisted boarding.

• Thanks 1

It has never been too busy when we have turned up each time time (at worst there were 2 people in the queue for check in, once no queue at all) so that has probably worked in our favour.

I think that it's perfectly reasonable to ask early arrivals to wait if they are busy but it would be ridiculous to make someone wait if they are quiet.

31 minutes ago, Burgmeister said:

I would suggest that you are somewhat circumspect in that request - especially if you have not completed the accessibility form as somebody may decide, under the enhanced protocols, that your wife may be in need of assistance in an emergency situation and in a worst case scenario you could be denied boarding.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Burgmeister said:

but it would be ridiculous to make someone wait if they are quiet.

To you and me it would, but not to some jobsworth who was having a bad day!

Edited by david63

Just now, david63 said:

I would suggest that you are somewhat circumspect in that request - especially if you have not completed the accessibility form as somebody may decide, under the enhanced protocols, that your wife may be in need of assistance in an emergency situation and in a worst case scenario you could be denied boarding.

She doesn't need a wheelchair (and won't be taking one). She can walk ok but standing around for a long time takes its toll

Just now, david63 said:

To you and me it would, but not to some jobsworth who was having a bad day!

Just makes the job harder for the check in staff though, creating busy periods when there is no reason to. Still, whatever, we'll get on eventually 

Just now, Burgmeister said:

She doesn't need a wheelchair (and won't be taking one). She can walk ok but standing around for a long time takes its toll

I understand that and totally agree with you but those at the port may not see it the same way

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, david63 said:

I understand that and totally agree with you but those at the port may not see it the same way

That was my thought, given recent incidents where people have been refused boarding.

I certainly wouldn't be asking for a chair in the circumstances.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, S1971 said:

That was my thought, given recent incidents where people have been refused boarding.

I certainly wouldn't be asking for a chair in the circumstances.

I think that we will take my wife's walking stick that has a seat built into the handle - assuming we arrive before our, yet to be determined, timeslot 

Not sure its worth being disgusted, more disappointed.

Cots will be available on board.

Milton fluid and tablets are still a thing (thats what we used when  we took our baby daughter on trips).

Food will be available.  There is also the option of taking your own.

As for check in, turn up at the later time.

36 minutes ago, Burgmeister said:

Just makes the job harder for the check in staff though, creating busy periods when there is no reason to. Still, whatever, we'll get on eventually 

It doesn't work like that.  It's a controlled procedure that ensures a smooth flow and that the waiting area isn't overwhelmed.   The reality is if you arrive and it's quiet they will wave you straight in as they want the flow to flow.  However if you arrive when it's busy you put into a waiting queue that gets filtered into the main line as and when it can cope with the numbers.

In reality it's not difficult,  arrive at the time you have been asked to arrive and you will get let straight into the hall.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Harryjacobs said:

It doesn't work like that.  It's a controlled procedure that ensures a smooth flow and that the waiting area isn't overwhelmed.   The reality is if you arrive and it's quiet they will wave you straight in as they want the flow to flow.  However if you arrive when it's busy you put into a waiting queue that gets filtered into the main line as and when it can cope with the numbers.

In reality it's not difficult,  arrive at the time you have been asked to arrive and you will get let straight into the hall.

That's how I assumed that it would work and also why we, so far, haven't had a problem arriving earlier than designated - it was never busy when we arrived.

I certainly didn't suggest that it was difficult although arriving on time when you have no idea what traffic will be like or how long the queue for CPS will be is not an exact science (my sister took 90 minutes to get through the queue whereas we have waited as little as 10 minutes)- hence we don't rush but we arrive when we arrive 

Edited by Burgmeister