CPP Cost

I'm trying to find what the cost would be for adding CPP to my cruise. Most of the links I click on HAL's site errors, so I can't seem to find the cost. There is a blurb to call to add it, but I don't want to add it yet, I was just curious of the cost so I could compare. I especially don't want to have to sit on the phone for a long time just to get a price. Can someone give me an idea of cost - it doesn't have to be exact, or even some idea of how to calculate it based on cruise price. Thanks! 

On our upcoming S. America/Antarctica cruise (22 days, verandah cabin), our cost of CPP for both DW & me was $549 each. I have no idea of the formula yielding that figure.

I think it's important to bear in mind that the key is in the name: it is principally for cancellation protection. While there is an insurance element for medical and evacuation, the limits of coverage are low. We are fortunate to rely on the travel insurance provided with our Sapphire Reserve card.

In the details of this link

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/us/plan-a-cruise/pre-post-travel-cruise/cancellation-protection-plan

it says you will see it on the cruise fare

The CPP Standard Plan is available for purchase prior to the date on which cancellation fees begin to accrue. Payment is due at time of purchase. The cost of CPP Standard is non-refundable once cancel fees begin to accrue. The per person, per cruise cost is listed with the cruise fares. 

I checked on one of my cruises, manage my cruise, flights and planning, cruise protection plan, there is a button to add the plan. I did not click that final button but perhaps if clicked it would display costs

For platinum, the cost is roughly 10% of the cruise only fare: any pre-or post packages or flights are covered (if purchased through HAL) but they do not figure in to the cost. I believe there are certain “steps” (xxxx to yyyy pays zzz).

I just bought platinum this morning and it was still roughly 10%.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

For platinum, the cost is roughly 10% of the cruise only fare: any pre-or post packages or flights are covered (if purchased through HAL) but they do not figure in to the cost. I believe there are certain “steps” (xxxx to yyyy pays zzz).

I just bought platinum this morning and it was still roughly 10%.

It's not linear, but near as I can figure, standard is about 8% of the fare and platinum is roughly 10%.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

When you are figuring 8 or 10%, is that a % of the total cruise cost?  Example: if I have the HIA or other add ons, would I figure 8/10 % of the total or 8/10 % of the base fare?  Just trying to get a rough estimate for a longer cruise w/the early booking bonus added.  Everyone I have talked to has said not to get the cruise protection until final payment, because up until final payment, at least for us, the original deposit is fully refundable.

23 hours ago, Banditswife said:

When you are figuring 8 or 10%, is that a % of the total cruise cost?  Example: if I have the HIA or other add ons, would I figure 8/10 % of the total or 8/10 % of the base fare?  Just trying to get a rough estimate for a longer cruise w/the early booking bonus added.  Everyone I have talked to has said not to get the cruise protection until final payment, because up until final payment, at least for us, the original deposit is fully refundable.

HIA increases the fare, so use cruise fare + Have It All is your fare basis. Taxes, fees and port expenses are refunded if you cancel. You're only covering the cruise fare piece.

• Like 2

Check the cost of insurance with online companies. I usually pay much less for the same if not better coverage buying insurance from one of the online companies. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ebtrip said:

Check the cost of insurance with online companies. I usually pay much less for the same if not better coverage buying insurance from one of the online companies. 

That's exactly why I'm asking. It's hard to compare costs if I can't see what HALs cost is. 

7 minutes ago, CruiseMob said:

That's exactly why I'm asking. It's hard to compare costs if I can't see what HALs cost is. 

Ask HAL what the cost of their policy and coverage. Then u can compare costs. 

1 minute ago, ebtrip said:

Ask HAL what the cost of their policy and coverage. Then u can compare costs. 

Yep, I understand that. Was asking to get a ballpark rather than sit on the phone or chat for a fair amount of time since they no longer seem to respond to email. Great thing about CC is the ability to ask a question easily from my phone. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CruiseMob said:

Yep, I understand that. Was asking to get a ballpark rather than sit on the phone or chat for a fair amount of time since they no longer seem to respond to email. Great thing about CC is the ability to ask a question easily from my phone. 

The cost from HAL is based on the cost you paid for your cruise.. online companies base the cost on age and cost. You can lower the cost by not including the taxes and port charges as they would be reimbursed by HAL you if cancelled.