Covermore morning

Just now, Womble99 said:

Afaik a domestic cruise was one that didn't require a passport to travel ie did not visit any other countries (Willis Is doesn't count 🤣)

But if you hit medivac etc that doesn’t get covered hence we’ve always insure cruises

3 minutes ago, Womble99 said:

Afaik a domestic cruise was one that didn't require a passport to travel ie did not visit any other countries (Willis Is doesn't count 🤣)

Some travel insurance companies advise that an international policy is required for (for instance) a cruise from Brisbane to Cairns including Willis Island where a passport isn't required. The reasoning is that the doctors on board are not registered with Medicare so any medical treatment would be at the passenger's own expense.

In addition, I would want to be covered for medivac. However, for the Queensland cruise mentioned, I would be covered because I am a Q'ld resident and entitled to free ambulance transport. In a case I know of personally, a helicopter evac was treated as free ambulance transport for a Q'ld resident.

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Womble99 said:

A cruise in domestic waters still requires international insurance. For some insurers you buy a domestic policy with a cruise add-on, as with 1cover. For most insurers you buy international insurance, which covers for onboard medical and medivac. Medicare does not cover you while at sea in domestic waters.

• Like 2

I recently read my cover-more policy as issued by Commonwealth bank.

Here  is what it states

"Cruising in Australian waters
Cover is included under Overseas Medical, Benefit 2: Overseas Emergency Medical and Hospital Expenses if you are travelling on a domestic cruise in Australian waters.
When you complete the steps to access the Overseas Travel Policy, for a domestic cruise, not part of an international journey, please choose ‘Pacific’ as your destination."

So it looks like this one does cover domestic cruise.

As always, best reading the PDS in detail to check specific coverage

• Like 1

On 6/19/2024 at 9:21 AM, SunnyinDubai said:

If I recall correctly, I think there was a higher risk if you had diabetes and got COVID so I believe it has been taken off most if not all PEC lists for TI. 

There are a number of TI which cover PEC - so I am suprised to read that only Covermore covers PEC. I have purchased SCTI and Allianz with PEC post covid. Allianz was great when I caught COVID overseas and even asked me why I did not submit any bills relating to accomodation for the extended stay (was staying with family so did not stay at a hotel) and they paid the eye watering cost of my return fare which I was pleased with as I was worried they would not pay it given how expensive it was...but that was the only fare available for me to get back to Aus post quarantine. 

I have tried to get PEC cover with Allianz a number of times. They underwrite both Defence Health and Westpac CC TI and probably many more. They will not cover our PECs other than those listed as inclusions. Medibank Private (not sure of underwriter) will, or did, cover PECs. When I use Covermore I use their basic policy then add on what is required. I'm not worried if someone steals my Aldi luggage with my Target/K Mart/Big W clothing lol. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Galesa said:

I'm not worried if someone steals my Aldi luggage with my Target/K Mart/Big W clothing lol. 

That's my problem, too. Why would I want to be covered for thousands of dollars for my very basic luggage and its contents?  Some of the more expensive travel insurance quotes cover ridiculous things I would never think of claiming for.  I remember one which offered you compensation if it rained on a day you were in port.

• Like 2

On 6/30/2024 at 11:38 AM, Galesa said:

I have tried to get PEC cover with Allianz a number of times. They underwrite both Defence Health and Westpac CC TI and probably many more. They will not cover our PECs other than those listed as inclusions. 

I’ve found out that too with the Westpac CC policy. They also don’t covered if my elderly dad in a nursing home dies before I travel and when I’m travelling.

Edited by cruisine21
  • Like 1