Do not use/trust Norwegian flight promotion

On 6/18/2024 at 8:56 AM, cruiseny4life said:

I'm here hoping everything goes well for you! Please do let us know and hopefully you are able to enjoy your cruise despite this hiccup.

I agree, I hope things go well.   Although I don't like tight connections either, I think if the OP's flights are reasonably on time, they should have no problem making the ship.  I would bet money they will hold the ship at least a little while since they moved it ahead, and there could be lots of people with tight connections now.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if this is applicable here, but years ago we had a Carnival cruise (the one and only time we cruised Carnival) with air/transfer.  The transfer waited for a late flight and basically they checked us in when we were on the bus (In that case, we arrived between the all aboard time and the sail time).

It was a US based cruise and years ago, so it may not be the same in this case.

• Thanks 1

i've commented on ncl flight many times before. some people swear by them, some swear at them. simple solution (that always works for me, my wife, and our friend that usually sails with us)

book the air by yourself. you can pick time, date and seat, rather than rely on ncl to indiscriminately book for you. (my sainted gramma one told me "if you want something done right: DO IT YOURSELF"

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, complawyer said:

i've commented on ncl flight many times before. some people swear by them, some swear at them. simple solution (that always works for me, my wife, and our friend that usually sails with us)

book the air by yourself. you can pick time, date and seat, rather than rely on ncl to indiscriminately book for you. (my sainted gramma one told me "if you want something done right: DO IT YOURSELF"

Yes, you can pick, but it is the airlines that are the ones who are the culprits when it comes to making flight changes. For instance, in 2013 we booked our own flight to Fort Lauderdale for a cruise, non stop from I forget which NY area airport. The airline chose to change it and add a layover in Dallas! If we were lucky with the new schedule, we would be able to wave goodbye to our ship.😢

• Like 2

With NCL's flight offer you can't choose to fly in a day or two before the cruise, right? It's only the same day of the cruise? I prefer to pick the flight that suits our schedule and it doesn't seem like you save that much going through NCL. I prefer Princess as you can book through them but you can pick your day, airline, flight, and seats.

5 minutes ago, Sailor75 said:

With NCL's flight offer you can't choose to fly in a day or two before the cruise, right? It's only the same day of the cruise? I prefer to pick the flight that suits our schedule and it doesn't seem like you save that much going through NCL. I prefer Princess as you can book through them but you can pick your day, airline, flight, and seats.

You can get a 1 or 2 day deviation on either end, you don’t have to fly in on the day of the cruise. 

11 hours ago, zqvol said:

You can get a 1 or 2 day deviation on either end, you don’t have to fly in on the day of the cruise. 

In fact, they encourage that by giving a small discount when you deviate to an earlier fly in date.

Really appreciate your encouraging words! Do hope we have a chance to embark ship even though a slim one! I have been working furiously to come up with a contingent plan! It is nice of some of you to offer alternatives and encouragement! 

Our NCL flight is with a minor airline and not cheap($1100). Trying to book another flight with a major airline! At this late date it’s  difficult to find anything reasonably priced! NCL is also not refunding us on our cancelled flights! We’re unable to fly in early either as one of us has to work on the day before! Routing through other airports is complicated too as Trieste is not major travel hub! 

Unfortunately we will have to stick with the same flight itinerary!!! It’s comforting to hear NCL may hold ship for late passengers! Besides, there may be other passengers in the same boat!!! If we miss ship, we’re prepared to fly, bus, train to Split(next port of call). But it is irresponsible to offer no help/ignore our poor flight predicament. 

Yes, I’ll try to post here about what happens to us! Thank you for your good wishes! Appreciate your sympathy! Hoping for the best!

1 hour ago, fun1367 said:

Really appreciate your encouraging words! Do hope we have a chance to embark ship even though a slim one! I have been working furiously to come up with a contingent plan! It is nice of some of you to offer alternatives and encouragement! 

Our NCL flight is with a minor airline and not cheap($1100). Trying to book another flight with a major airline! At this late date it’s  difficult to find anything reasonably priced! NCL is also not refunding us on our cancelled flights! We’re unable to fly in early either as one of us has to work on the day before! Routing through other airports is complicated too as Trieste is not major travel hub! 

Unfortunately we will have to stick with the same flight itinerary!!! It’s comforting to hear NCL may hold ship for late passengers! Besides, there may be other passengers in the same boat!!! If we miss ship, we’re prepared to fly, bus, train to Split(next port of call). But it is irresponsible to offer no help/ignore our poor flight predicament. 

Yes, I’ll try to post here about what happens to us! Thank you for your good wishes! Appreciate your sympathy! Hoping for the best!

I'm guessing that you will be taking two or possibly three flights to make your journey. That adds to the complexity - and the required luck.

Sure, they may hold the ship - but there are limits to the amount of time they will do that.

Delays can run to many hours - or worse.

About 2 years ago, I had a flight on a major airline between major airports, from TX to NYC...it was delayed for 6 hours due to a delay starting early that morning. Mechanical, weather, whatever may happen.

I've done same day flights from NY to FL - even that is a risk.

Last January, we sailed from LA and flew in the day before.

To Europe? I hope you never again risk those odds. We did a Venice to Barcelona about 12 years ago and flew in 2 days before; but that was to give us a full day exploring Venice (of course the ship actually sailed from Venice back then.

Sorry to be negative - but I hope your travels go smoothly.

On 6/17/2024 at 3:48 PM, Capitan Obvious said:

This is a bit confusing, because the title mention "flight promotion", and the post reference the Air Department.

NCL's flight promotion that is part of the Free at Sea promotions is simply a discounted airfare booked through a 3rd party clearinghouse. Once your tickets are booked, NCL is out of the transaction. Changes are between you and the airline.

NCL's Air Department handles their premium air, where NCL is your airline travel agent (and, of course, you pay for this service). 

There is nobody to call for the flight promotion, and the Air Department can't help you...no matter what you say, no matter what supervisor you ask to speak with. FWIW, it is not poor customer relations to say "no" when the answer is actually "no". Good customer relations is giving you the correct information, not allowing you to browbeat employees until they give you what you want.

No worries, IF...and this is still an IF...you don't make the ship, you can simply file a claim with your travel insurance provider.

Hmm my experience has been different. NCL provides an assistance number and certainly can help if flights delay, change, etc. Thankfully we have not had to call during our trips, but the first time we did the promotion I called a few times and received professional service.