Princess Protection refunded if you cancel before final payment?

Posted (edited)

This is how I remember it from a few years ago but wanted to check.  I am not at all sure we'll go on the cruise and don't want to buy their insurance if I will be out that money if I cancel it before payment is due.  I have a refundable deposit and I want my cost to be $0 if we cancel. 

Also, can I add the princess protection back much later, right before final payment?  I have actually had to use the Princess insurance twice and have only been on one cruise (one I took, the other was last minute canceled due to emergency), so I will definitely have insurance, just not sure if I'll go with princess' insurance again.

I asked my TA these questions but haven't heard back and am impatient, thanks.

Edited by Kitty Ellas Mom

I almost always purchase my fare with insurance. All that is required is my FCD. If I cancel, I am refunded my FCD.  Insurance is not factored in until final payment is due.  

I don’t know if there is a required time after booking or before final payment for insurance to be valid (think pre-conditions).

I only do refundable deposits

Just cancelled 2 bookings under deposit only and refunded FCDs.

• Like 1

I've had to cancel a booking as recently as last month and my entire refundable deposit was returned. FWIW I always take the insurance upon booking. 

So to answer your questions: IF YOU ARE IN USA: 

1. The insurance is refundable if booking is canceled

2. Yes insurance can be added any time before final payment date 

You do not pay for Princess insurance until final payment date. Therefore, nothing to be refunded and nothing lost if cancelled before final payment date.

Refundable deposit will be refunded if cancelled before final payment date, non refundable deposit would be lost.

You can add Princess insurance when booked or any time up to final payment date. No difference. 

1 hour ago, skynight said:

You do not pay for Princess insurance until final payment date. Therefore, nothing to be refunded and nothing lost if cancelled before final payment date.

Refundable deposit will be refunded if cancelled before final payment date, non refundable deposit would be lost.

You can add Princess insurance when booked or any time up to final payment date. No difference. 

That is not necessarily the best option. Princess Vacation Protection (PVP) does not cover pre-existing conditions. The definition of Pre-Existing Condition is "an illness, disease, or other condition during the sixty (60) day period immediately prior to the Effective Date of Your Certificate for which You, Your Traveling Companion, or a Family Member booked to travel with You: 1) exhibited symptoms that would have caused a typical person to seek care or treatment; or 2) received or received a recommendation for a test, examination, or medical treatment; or 3) took or received a prescription for drugs or medicine. Item (3) of this definition does not apply to a condition that is treated or controlled solely through the taking of prescription drugs or medicine and remains treated or controlled without any adjustment or change in the required prescription throughout the sixty (60) day period before the Effective Date of Your Certificate."

The Effective Date of Your Certificate is "12:01 A.M. local time, at Your location, on the day after the required premium for such coverage is received by the Company or its authorized representative." In order to make the PVP effective, you have to actually pay the cost of the PVP premium in addition to paying the deposit. It is not enough to select PVP and have it added to your booking. If you wait until final payment, you may have a change in diagnosis or medication within 60 days before payment. I always purchase and pay for PVP as soon as I make the deposit if neither DW nor I have had any changes in the previous 60 days. If we have had changes, then I wait until we both have 60 days without changes and then purchase and pay for the PVP.

We have always received a full refund for PVP as well as our refundable deposit when we cancel before final payment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1