First Time on Norwegian--Some Questions

Hello and good morning.

This will be my first trip on Norwegian headed up to Alaska in late October from Seattle on The Bliss.. I have a few questions

I see they have a Starbucks package for $108. I bought it.   On a 7 day cruise, that seems sort of....not sure how to say this without sounding mean....reasonable????  Its a name brand, it's a captive audience, it's listed for $12.00 a day or so.  Given Starbucks drinks regularly go for $7 each....  It seems like you may actually get your money's worth out of this one.  So My question is, essentially, what's the catch?  Do they only serve shot glasses of their beverages; are they only open when you're in port or something????  Is there a hidden tax?  I pre-paid gratuities...I understand you can add more if you wish to on a transaction-by-transaction basis.  The "fine print" said that a 20% gratuity would be added but no such gratuity was added. 

Next is this. I work overnights and even when I am not working, I regularly find myself staying up late or even overnights in some cases. While I doubt I will be doing that on board, I see where they have a 24 hour eatery on board.  It is called the "Local Bar and Grill".  My question is this.  Can I expect to get the same offerings at 3AM that I could expect at 7PM? 

If anyone has been up to Alaska in October, I have some questions for you as well.

The Northern Lights...are they always "on".  (LOL).  Is there a season for them and if so, would I have missed it in October?

We're stopping in Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan. Will there be much open in late October? 

What are the odds of seeing large marine animals next to the ship? 

Any info will be helpful. 

Posted (edited)

I usually add a promotion called Free at Sea Plus which includes premium beverage package and Starbucks among other things. I love it and it works exactly like you’d think. Same drinks you’d get on land, no catch. Start every morning with a double vanilla iced breve. Their hours are listed in the daily program, and while I don’t recall the exact hours, they open pretty early (0600? 0700?) and stay open all day. Don’t recall every seeing any complaints on this board to the contrary, which is very unusual now that I think about it.

The Local has a slightly trimmed down menu in the wee hours, but it’s great alternative to room service if you’re out and about. 

Edited by JamesIowa
  • Like 2

Thanks.  I'm not much of a drinker (alcohol wise) so I never buy the booze packages.  But $12 a day for Starbucks is about what I pay here in South Texas. I'm figuring...October...Alaska....a hot cup of cocoa or coffee will be welcome. 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Condor_Christi said:

Thanks.  I'm not much of a drinker (alcohol wise) so I never buy the booze packages.  But $12 a day for Starbucks is about what I pay here in South Texas. I'm figuring...October...Alaska....a hot cup of cocoa or coffee will be welcome. 

For sure. Take that up to the observation lounge on deck 15 and it’s about the perfect way to start a day in AK. If the lounge is crowded, or you want an incredible view while you eat, the front of the garden cafe on deck 16 directly overlooks the observation lounge as well and has the same view.

Edited by JamesIowa

2 hours ago, Condor_Christi said:

I see they have a Starbucks package for $108. I bought it.   On a 7 day cruise, that seems sort of....not sure how to say this without sounding mean....reasonable????  Its a name brand, it's a captive audience, it's listed for $12.00 a day or so.  Given Starbucks drinks regularly go for $7 each....  It seems like you may actually get your money's worth out of this one.  So My question is, essentially, what's the catch?  Do they only serve shot glasses of their beverages; are they only open when you're in port or something????  Is there a hidden tax?  I pre-paid gratuities...I understand you can add more if you wish to on a transaction-by-transaction basis.  The "fine print" said that a 20% gratuity would be added but no such gratuity was added. 

At $108 for a 7-day package, you indeed did already pay the 20% ($108 divided by 7 days = $15.43, which is $12.95 x 7 x 20%)

It is called the "Local Bar and Grill".  My question is this.  Can I expect to get the same offerings at 3AM that I could expect at 7PM?  The Local has an abbreviated menu "late night."

If anyone has been up to Alaska in October, I have some questions for you as well.

The Northern Lights...are they always "on".  (LOL).  Is there a season for them and if so, would I have missed it in October?  https://auroratracks.com/when-to-see-northern-lights-in-alaska/

What are the odds of seeing large marine animals next to the ship?  Difficult to predict, nut, perhaps you'll get some "perfect moments"!

The Starbucks package may be worth it to you.  But break even is around 2 1/2 drinks per day… saving money at 3 drinks per day. 
And that’s really over 6 1/2 days, not 7.  You board late morning or early afternoon. 

Now remember— there will be whole days where you depart the ship early and return late. If you’re getting off the ship at 7am and returning at 8pm, how many Starbucks coffees will you likely have that day?

Throw in that the coffee only costs Starbucks and NCL pennies on the dollar..

There is no catch. You start to save money at around 18-20 drinks. Many people could not possibly drink that much Starbucks over a 7 night cruise, with ports, etc. 

For some people, it’s worth the price. 

It’s hard to say it’s some great bargain. To be just a 25% savings, you’d need to average 3 1/2 Starbucks drinks per day. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Condor_Christi said:

While I doubt I will be doing that on board, I see where they have a 24 hour eatery on board.  It is called the "Local Bar and Grill".  My question is this.  Can I expect to get the same offerings at 3AM that I could expect at 7PM? 

Just to temper your expectations slightly, the Local will close down for a couple of hours in the wee early morning hours. Expect the place to be shuttered for an hour or two sometime between 3 and 6 AM. It's not truly 24 hours even though it is marketed as such. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, havoc315 said:

The Starbucks package may be worth it to you.  But break even is around 2 1/2 drinks per day… saving money at 3 drinks per day. 
And that’s really over 6 1/2 days, not 7.  You board late morning or early afternoon. 

Now remember— there will be whole days where you depart the ship early and return late. If you’re getting off the ship at 7am and returning at 8pm, how many Starbucks coffees will you likely have that day?

Throw in that the coffee only costs Starbucks and NCL pennies on the dollar..

There is no catch. You start to save money at around 18-20 drinks. Many people could not possibly drink that much Starbucks over a 7 night cruise, with ports, etc. 

For some people, it’s worth the price. 

It’s hard to say it’s some great bargain. To be just a 25% savings, you’d need to average 3 1/2 Starbucks drinks per day. 

Morning Coffee, afternoon Frap-a-C=Note, Iced Teas....  Not a problem for me.    I imagine there is going to be a line though. 

October in Alaska is odd.  The weather is gloomy ( most of the time), but it can also get hot during the day).  It's also end of season, so depending on when you are going, many stores may already be closed for the season, or have HUGE end of season sales on merchandise.  The Northern Lights are not a flip of the switch.  If the Sun has had lots of magnetic activity, it will filter down thru the atmosphere and give a spectacular light show.  The best chance for seeing them is in total darkness ( out on open seas, away from lights). It will get dark very early in October ( Im going to say about 4pm).  There is an app called Aurora.  It has a daily map of where to see the Northern Lights.  I once saw them from an airplane, IT WAS AMAZING!!!!!

• Like 1

The combo of good hot coffee with a large iced tea prepped for me by the Starbuck's team helps me start the vast majority of my mornings on the Bliss. We do FAS+ in part because of the flex and not having to think about what it might save me to maybe skip the combo early (and i get up early so not bad lines) or not do an iced tea late in the day.  I know there is free coffee and iced tea available... I find the coffee better at the onboard Starbucks and love being able to get the large iced tea anytime.  All is a personal choice...enjoy!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, condorchristi said:

Morning Coffee, afternoon Frap-a-C=Note, Iced Teas....  Not a problem for me.    I imagine there is going to be a line though. 

As I said, worth it for some people. But hard to do that every day if you’re not on the ship for the bulk of the day.  There may be days when you’re only on the ship for that morning coffee. (And if it’s just a plain coffee, you can get it “free” elsewhere).

As of last year, most of the Starbucks drinks were $5 to $6.  Not sure what they are now. 
To determine whether it’s worth it, you would have yo go through each day of your itinerary.  

• Like 2

We’re coffee drinkers but passing on the Starbucks package. Sometimes the free ship’s coffee can be gruesome so my daughter adds 1/2 to 1 packet of hot cocoa if it’s there…it sweetens and flavors it !

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, cooncat_mom said:

We’re coffee drinkers but passing on the Starbucks package. Sometimes the free ship’s coffee can be gruesome so my daughter adds 1/2 to 1 packet of hot cocoa if it’s there…it sweetens and flavors it !

I'm sure its a good option.  I like Starbucks and I think I may need a “taste of home” so to speak.  Sailing alone is going to be something new for me and I’m looking for as many “security blankets” as I can find.

6 hours ago, Condor_Christi said:

Next is this. I work overnights and even when I am not working, I regularly find myself staying up late or even overnights in some cases. While I doubt I will be doing that on board, I see where they have a 24 hour eatery on board.  It is called the "Local Bar and Grill".  My question is this.  Can I expect to get the same offerings at 3AM that I could expect at 7PM? 

According to my two young adult children, the Local menu does change during those late night hours to a more slimmed down version.

Please know if you want a late night snack, the options are very limited --- room service or The Local.   

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, condorchristi said:

I'm sure its a good option.  I like Starbucks and I think I may need a “taste of home” so to speak.  Sailing alone is going to be something new for me and I’m looking for as many “security blankets” as I can find.

Check the Freestyle Daily for Solo Meet-Ups each evening.  Great way to share meals or just get to know other solo passengers.  Also sign-up for the Roll Call of your particular cruise-- another way to meet others.

I hope you have a chance to see a little of Seattle before or after your cruise.

Relax and enjoy

• Like 1

we bought the premium  plus package. my wife and i usually start off  the day with a starbucks. we are on a 10 day cruise, so that accounts for at least 20 drinks. add in any other coffee drinks during the day, and i think we're better than break even. the package also include, 2 extra specialty dinners, and extra $50 off on shore excursions, premium liquor etc.  little pricey, i'll admit, but seems like a good deal in the long run.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Condor_Christi said:

Hello and good morning.

This will be my first trip on Norwegian headed up to Alaska in late October from Seattle on The Bliss.. I have a few questions

The Northern Lights...are they always "on".  (LOL).  Is there a season for them and if so, would I have missed it in October?

We're stopping in Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan. Will there be much open in late October? 

What are the odds of seeing large marine animals next to the ship? 

Any info will be helpful. 

Starbucks is "normal"--they don't cut shots or anything like that. You will have to get 2 drinks/day just to break even.

Local overnight menu is much more limited than at other times of the day.

I have been to AK the 3rd week of Sept the last 2 years--ask away!

Northern Lights...YOU NEVER KNOW. We were supposed to see them the last 2 years but there was cloud cover so did not (actually got to see them here in Nebraska about a month ago! Mid August to Mid April is the "season" so you are going at a good time to maybe see them.

Most things should be open--tourist season is their bread & butter. But even the 3rd week of Sept a few things were closed & they were already having end of the season sales.

I have never seen large marine animals near the ship (doesn't mean you won't!). October is humpback season (they like the Inside Passage, which you will be in)--I recommend a whale watching tour in one of your ports 

Edited by KKB
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, condorchristi said:

In AM, yes, rarely at other times.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KKB said:

Starbucks is "normal"--they don't cut shots or anything like that. You will have to get 2 drinks/day just to break even.

Local overnight menu is much more limited than at other times of the day.

I have been to AK the 3rd week of Sept the last 2 years--ask away!

Northern Lights...YOU NEVER KNOW. We were supposed to see them the last 2 years but there was cloud cover so did not (actually got to see them here in Nebraska about a month ago! Mid August to Mid April is the "season" so you are going at a good time to maybe see them.

Most things should be open--tourist season is their bread & butter. But even the 3rd week of Sept a few things were closed & they were already having end of the season sales.

I have never seen large marine animals near the ship (doesn't mean you won't!). October is humpback season (they like the Inside Passage, which you will be in)--I recommend a whale watching tour in one of your ports 

Yeah, can’t afford the whale watching tour.  IT would be great though. 

Uh...those who say the ship coffee is fine...NOPE, NOPE, it's NOT.

I am no coffee snob--I buy Aldi brand grounds to use in my reusable K-cup each day at home.

I like Starbucks, but limit it to traveling mostly.

But ship coffee (ANY SHIP, ANY LINE) is AWFUL, imo. 

And I doll mine up with Stevia & creamer...still undrinkable to me.

Thank goodness we get a drink package on Princess & Celebrity where goood coffee is included.

NCL I used our shareholders $100 OBC to cover the cost of my daily Grande Flat white.

(but I can see if you don't drink that $108/wk could have value if you drink the teas & such).

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, condorchristi said:

Yeah, can’t afford the whale watching tour.  IT would be great though. 

Look into private ones (just Google whale watching tours in each port); usually considerably less than ship tours (tho maybe not with $50 off). We RARELY do excursions, but we have done whale watching in Maui (about $75pp) & Icy Strait Point in AK (about $150pp)--truly 2 of the very best experiences in our lives. If you can swing one thing, that is what I would recommend.

We were on the Bliss Alaska cruise in early Sept of 2022. 

It took us forever to pack our suitcases that last day as we had to stop several times to run out on our balcony to watch the whales🐳🐳🐳

With over 50 cruises behind us, it was the most memorable packing up day ever😊

• Like 2