Cost for child on plus package

1 hour ago, LittleTinker said:

But if you take off CA and WiFi.....certainly doesnt reach that amount.

I mean you can still get there with enough drinking but that's where the "your math may vary" part comes from.

Honestly the $120 isn't that far off even without the CA and WiFi from what you'd find on Royal which runs like $85 + Gratuity for just drinks for one person alone. $120 for unlimited alcohol and sodas for 2 people ain't bad, even without the CA/WiFi.  I'm not saying it works for everyone at all, just doing some basic math and comparing to other options in the market.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LittleTinker said:

They aren't tips.

You can play games with the terminology and definitions but whatever you call it, it is a fact that removing CA reduces crew compensation.

So when someone says you're stiffing the crew by removing them, they're right - you're stiffing the crew by removing them.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, LittleTinker said:

They aren't tips.

Semantics and the 18% on drinks if you don’t have a plan is a tip and can’t be removed

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, LittleTinker said:

But they shouldn't.
Kids aren't included in service charges on land.

A parent with 4 children having to pay 6 lots of Grats is too much.

Paying for a 9 month old is ridiculous

I can’t tell you what to do but as long as children are receiving the same services, I believe the staff deserves the same crew appreciation as for an adult passenger.

Making beds, serving meals, etc is no easier, and in fact often harder, for children. Special requests like cribs, high chairs, pureed food, or having to make up Pullman beds are examples of things that might merit an extra tip. I would never consider not paying crew appreciation for all passengers in my party.

Edited by Torfamm
  • Like 8

7 hours ago, LittleTinker said:

What kind of parent lets their child make such a mess then leave it for someone else to clear up?

Cleaning up a cabin with my 6 would be no different to cleaning up after 2 other than bed making.

And I often tell my stewards not to bother in a morning to give them more time to themselves.

There is more trash, more towels, more supplies, no doubt more “stuff” to work around in the cabin. There are also six people eating at every meal. If you chose not to pay crew appreciation though, no one can stop you. Arguing that providing services to children is different than to adults just doesn’t make sense though.

• Like 6

On 6/19/2024 at 5:29 PM, dog said:

This policy is ridiculous! A child does not use $60 pp per day worth! 

Yes but only to a certain age IMO. 0-10 should get a discount. 10-17 should be the same price as adults.

I think another solution is there should be a non-alcoholic Plus plan for kids and those adults who don’t drink or don’t mind paying for the few alcohol drinks they want.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 6/20/2024 at 7:45 AM, LittleTinker said:

Children dont pay tips!

If they’re ordering sodas, smoothies or coffees, then yes, they need to pay tips just like adults ordering a beer at the bar.

Edited by GK95

32 minutes ago, GK95 said:

Yes but only to a certain age IMO. 0-10 should get a discount. 10-17 should be the same price as adults.

I think another solution is there should be a non-alcoholic Plus plan for kids and those adults who don’t drink or don’t mind paying for the few alcohol drinks they want.

Agree!

1 hour ago, GK95 said:

If they’re ordering sodas, smoothies or coffees, then yes, they need to pay tips just like adults ordering a beer at the bar.

Maybe....but they shouldn't.

This is an American thing

Other nations don't pay grats/tips etc like Americans.

These cruise grats have got out of hand and the company shouldn't even be involved.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, LittleTinker said:

These cruise grats have got out of hand and the company shouldn't even be involved.

It's sort of an American thing, but it's how the cruise lines opt to set up their crew compensation and it's an unfortunate reality.

The system isn't great.  If someone wants to start a grass roots campaign to somehow influence the cruise lines to change the system such that the crew is properly compensated on their base wage rather than with CA/Grats I'll be the first in line to support it.  In the meantime, CA/Grats are a not insignificant portion of the crew compensation and if you remove it you're just short changing them. Your "American's tip too much" soap box isn't much consolation to those with a smaller paycheck.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, LittleTinker said:

I’m not sure I agree with that. If one of my kids gets a choco-banana, it’s far more work and effort for the bartender to make that than it is to pour my glass of wine. I’m old school and always leave $1cash per drink on top of the included grats - every time!

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

I’m old school and always leave $1cash per drink on top of the included grats - every time!

as do we...

and also when food/drinks are delivered - to the cabin, or somewhere on the ship

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LittleTinker said:

Would you be more comfortable if crew appreciation were to be included in an increased cruise fare and beverage prices increased to include the 18% gratuity? Although the outcome is the same, many people from countries unused to this system might prefer it. It would certainly be simpler.

There is no logical argument for saying those who provide services to children shouldn’t be compensated as they would be if they provided that same service to an adult.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, PMGS247 said:

It's sort of an American thing, but it's how the cruise lines opt to set up their crew compensation and it's an unfortunate reality.

The system isn't great.  If someone wants to start a grass roots campaign to somehow influence the cruise lines to change the system such that the crew is properly compensated on their base wage rather than with CA/Grats I'll be the first in line to support it.  In the meantime, CA/Grats are a not insignificant portion of the crew compensation and if you remove it you're just short changing them. Your "American's tip too much" soap box isn't much consolation to those with a smaller paycheck.

Well said. Punishing the crew because you don’t like the business model of the cruise line is not a productive or appropriate way to express displeasure.

Edited by Torfamm
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

Well said. Punishing the crew because you don’t like the business model of the cruise line is not a productive or appropriate way to express displeasure.

OK, what is 'your' solution to express displeasure?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, voljeep said:

5 minutes ago, voljeep said:

If you want to let Princess leadership know you are dissatisfied, contact them and let them know. There are a number of actions you can take. There is the post cruise survey, writing letters, choosing to sail with a line that doesn’t have the same pricing structure, messages on social media. Basically sending a message to those who set policies and pricing.

Removing crew appreciation charges onboard is not an effective way of saying don’t like the system. It might mean you don’t think you received good service, think the crew already makes plenty of money, or many other things.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Torfamm said:

If you want to let Princess leadership know you are dissatisfied, contact them and let them know. There are a number of actions you can take. There is the post cruise survey, writing letters, choosing to sail with a line that doesn’t have the same pricing structure, messages on social media. Basically sending a message to those who set policies and pricing.

Removing crew appreciation charges onboard is not an effective way of saying don’t like the system. It might mean you don’t think you received good service, think the crew already makes plenty of money, or many other things.

when the 'crew' thinks they are not properly compensated, they are the ones who can speak - with not renewing their contracts.  That's not on me, that's between Princess and the crew

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, voljeep said:

when the 'crew' thinks they are not properly compensated, they are the ones who can speak - with not renewing their contracts.  That's not on me, that's between Princess and the crew

The crew seems happy with the system of compensation. It seems though that some passengers are not.

2 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

The crew seems happy with the system of compensation. It seems though that some passengers are not.

I've chosen to book a package that includes CA - that is my choice entirely.  If I book a future cruise at standard and have the option to remove the CA - that also is my choice entirely.  Princesss is not stupid as some on this forum think, making the CA and wifi as part of packages.

There will never , yep never, never, be a package offered as BEST was. You do remember when you could pick only the perks you wanted to pay for in a package, correct?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

And you know what?

The crew has accepted the fact that Crew Appreciation remains discretionary.  Right?  You cannot change what others do or think by repeating your argument over and over.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, chicopaige said:

I am the original poster.  I appreciate all the comments and suggestions.

I did not intend to stir up the “tip” discussion.

Glad you got the comments and suggestions you were looking for.

• Thanks 2