LIVE (almost) from QM2 Transatlantic June 23 to June 29

Joe33472

7 minutes ago, Joe33472 said:

Some transfer information for Brooklyn was dropped off in the room tonight.   We have a coop in NYC and will be stopping there for one night after the cruise before we make our way to Boston/Manchester NH area to visit our families.  I'm thinking that we'll just take a cab or perhaps I'll see if the car service which I usually use will pick us up.   I can imagine that it's pretty hectic at the cruise terminal in Brooklyn and that a cab line could be long.  

The private transfer prices seem a little bit more than I would typically pay for an airport transfer to JFK or LGA, but I thinking that they have to factor in waiting time at the cruise terminal, so maybe it's not too bad.

The car service I usually use is Carmel.  

IMG_3983.thumb.JPEG.0d320fe34a6561a33361ec4851b9f6f2.JPEGIMG_3984.thumb.JPEG.946c53a80584384c348ab6bf266e3d46.JPEG

Considering an Uber cost around $120-150 to EWR, I don't think it's too expensive. 

We have thought about taking the Helicopter from Manhattan but we have too many luggage for it to be feasible, haha. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, leyland1989 said:

Considering an Uber cost around $120-150 to EWR, I don't think it's too expensive. 

We have thought about taking the Helicopter from Manhattan but we have too many luggage for it to be feasible, haha. 

I never fly out of EWR, so I'm not too familiar with the prices to Jersey.  Back in the day I would only take public transportation to the airport.  I had a health issue that made walking long distances tough, so I started taking Uber and a car service to the airport.    The health issue resolved, but I never started back on public transportation 🙃.  Definitely lifestyle creep. I work in Queens and would take the Q31 to Jamaica Center and AirTrain to Kennedy.  Did that for years.  $7.50 with no tip, back in the day.   I fly a lot (maybe 50 flights per year) so $100 Uber rides add up....

Edited by Joe33472
  • Like 1

Day 3 program attached:

Day 3 Programme.pdf

I tried to go by the Britannia restaurant tonight to make a photo of the menu, but it was a mob scene at the entrance on deck 2.   We had already changed back into smart attire and everyone at the Britannia entrance looked so fancy, that I didn't want to barge up there to take some photos in our smart attire.  I'll definitely try tomorrow to get some pictures. 

Tired now, although we get an hour back tonight.  A really nice day on QM2 overall.     Good night!

Edited by Joe33472
  • Like 3

One last thing I forgot to mention, a individual sitting very close to us is somewhat of an Internet "celebrity" or "social media influencer" who blogs on travel.   It's not Gary or Emma, but on that level, maybe even more subscribers.  I think the YouTuber has over a million subscribers on YouTube and several hundred thousand on Instagram.  

Maybe the staff figured out who this YouTuber is and didn't want me talking trash about the service and food.  I recognized the person last night, but haven't said anything. 

Edited by Joe33472
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Joe33472 said:

One last thing I forgot to mention, a individual sitting very close to us is somewhat of an Internet "celebrity" or "social media influencer" who blogs on travel. 

Is it Jeb Brooks?! He lives near us and I see on instagram that he has been in London in the last week or so. He is the one that put QM2 on our radar screen. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe33472 said:

We had a wonderful dinner in QG and service was spot on.   What a difference between today and yesterday as far as food and service.  It's like night and day.   Does anyone think that Cunard social media folks monitor this board?   It wouldn't be too difficult to figure out who we are based on my user name and location.   Perhaps it's just the craziness of embarkation day and the fact that we were a little grumpy yesterday, and the two not mixing well together.  

In tonight's menu, there was an a la carte menu.  This wasn't in the menu last night, so perhaps on embarkation they try to keep special requests to a minimum.  Here is the A la Carte menu:

6.24.24 Queens Grill A la Carte Menu.pdf 6.07 MB · 6 downloads

We could definitely eat off this menu.  

For tonight's meal, Osman had Turkish salad prepared for us as well as roast chicken.    Both were delicious.  The assistant Maitre D' carved the chicken at the table and prepared a wonderful gravy.   We skipped dessert because we were so full.  

Excellent meal and service.  Top notch!   A++

IMG_3977(1).thumb.JPEG.ea7c8f811cb82fba8dee73486fd3bb1e.JPEG

IMG_3982(1).thumb.JPEG.8723052d94eaf7649d177f69fddcfa71.JPEG

IMG_3979.thumb.JPEG.dcb4a5865914d135e176c1a3d862b41a.JPEG

I think their appetizers are very unappealing.

I think they need to update and redo some of the menu.

I would be ordering the a la carte items almost every day.

1 hour ago, Joe33472 said:

Day 3 program attached:

Day 3 Programme.pdf 12.33 MB · 6 downloads

I tried to go by the Britannia restaurant tonight to make a photo of the menu, but it was a mob scene at the entrance on deck 2.   We had already changed back into smart attire and everyone at the Britannia entrance looked so fancy, that I didn't want to barge up there to take some photos in our smart attire.  I'll definitely try tomorrow to get some pictures. 

Tired now, although we get an hour back tonight.  A really nice day on QM2 overall.     Good night!

Thank You Joe....

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Joe33472 said:

We had a wonderful dinner in QG and service was spot on.   What a difference between today and yesterday as far as food and service.  It's like night and day.   Does anyone think that Cunard social media folks monitor this board?   It wouldn't be too difficult to figure out who we are based on my user name and location.   Perhaps it's just the craziness of embarkation day and the fact that we were a little grumpy yesterday, and the two not mixing well together.  

In tonight's menu, there was an a la carte menu.  This wasn't in the menu last night, so perhaps on embarkation they try to keep special requests to a minimum.  Here is the A la Carte menu:

6.24.24 Queens Grill A la Carte Menu.pdf 6.07 MB · 13 downloads

We could definitely eat off this menu.  

For tonight's meal, Osman had Turkish salad prepared for us as well as roast chicken.    Both were delicious.  The assistant Maitre D' carved the chicken at the table and prepared a wonderful gravy.   We skipped dessert because we were so full.  

Excellent meal and service.  Top notch!   A++

IMG_3977(1).thumb.JPEG.ea7c8f811cb82fba8dee73486fd3bb1e.JPEG

IMG_3982(1).thumb.JPEG.8723052d94eaf7649d177f69fddcfa71.JPEG

IMG_3979.thumb.JPEG.dcb4a5865914d135e176c1a3d862b41a.JPEG

If you didn’t have the alc menu for the first night, they must for some reason have been in a major state of chaos. On all five ships, when I have been in the QG, for at least 20 years I have ordered the Dover Sole from the alc on the first night, and managed to remember to do it at lunch. So I would guess something went wrong, perhaps simply that they missed it from your menu folder, though I think they usually put other things on top of it rather than remove it entirely.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Judyrem said:

We've actually enjoyed the appetizers so far.  Most have been okay and so small that if you like the appetizer you'll be wanting for more, and if you don't like the appetizer so small that you won't feel badly not eating any of it.  With so many courses, we've never been hungry. 

This fried goat cheese appetizer was really god, but this is a small plate and the fritter was really small as seen on the plate.   I'd say this is a 1/2 dollar sized and about 1/4 inch thick.  I think that this could have had two or three of the fritters. 

image.png.903bb73d7f7ed4236689ebe0ecdd10ae.png

The tomato tart last night was really good.  Forgot to take a picture.  That was a little bigger.   I was expecting a shortbread crust, but it was a puff pastry so light and airy and about the size of a small rice cake.  

Edited by Joe33472
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Judyrem said:

The appetiser menu occasionally doesn't suit and I do like a couple of the a la carte appetisers but I have French Onion soup as a stand by and always caviar on the first and last night.

I also admit the menu hasn't changed much over the years but so what as let's face it,  in QG you can have what you want as long as it's ordered in advance to allow the kitchen to prepare it.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Joe33472 said:

We've actually enjoyed the appetizers so far.  Most have been okay and so small that if you like the appetizer you'll be wanting for more, and if you don't like the appetizer so small that you won't feel badly not eating any of it.  With so many courses, we've never been hungry. 

This fried goat cheese appetizer was really god, but this is a small plate and the fritter was really small as seen on the plate.   I'd say this is a 1/2 dollar sized and about 1/4 inch thick.  I think that this could have had two or three of the fritters. 

image.png.903bb73d7f7ed4236689ebe0ecdd10ae.png

The tomato tart last night was really good.  Forgot to take a picture.  That was a little bigger.   I was expecting a shortbread crust, but it was a puff pastry so light an airy and about the size of a small rice cake.  

If you want more, ask for more.  I often  end up with double appetisers if they are tasty. It just means any carbohydrates with the entrée are ignored!🙂

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

If you didn’t have the alc menu for the first night, they must for some reason have been in a major state of chaos. On all five ships, when I have been in the QG, for at least 20 years I have ordered the Dover Sole from the alc on the first night, and managed to remember to do it at lunch. So I would guess something went wrong, perhaps simply that they missed it from your menu folder, though I think they usually put other things on top of it rather than remove it entirely.

On the first day, the lunch menu was still in the menu folder along with the dinner menu for dinner service.  I thought that was weird, but that makes sense now.  The dinner menu must have been covering the a la carte menu.  I overheard a nearby table ask for some menu, they must have been asking for the a la carte menu.  The head waiter brought something over, but not sure if they ordered off that menu.   I don't think so.   It was a state of chaos on the first night and we did not have a nice experience.   It was actually quite shocking, but has improved 100%. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

If you want more, ask for more.  I often  end up with double appetisers if they are tasty. It just means any carbohydrates with the entrée are ignored!🙂

We've been so full with all the courses that we haven't made it to the cheese course (and I love cheese). We skipped dessert last night.  It's probably a good thing that the appetizers are so small, otherwise we wouldn't be able to eat 1/2 our dinner and would miss dessert.  And we love desserts after a meal.   We don't do that at home, so it's a real treat.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Joe33472 said:

We've been so full with all the courses that we haven't made it to the cheese course (and I love cheese). We skipped dessert last night.  It's probably a good thing that the appetizers are so small, otherwise we wouldn't be able to eat 1/2 our dinner and would miss dessert.  And we love desserts after a meal.   We don't do that at home, so it's a real treat.  

I agree on portion size. Who needs to be  wheelbarrowed off for disembarkation!!!

The only pud I have is the occasional Crepes Suzette. I'm a cheese fan but am very particular and once staff get to know your likes, you find 'your' cheese has been carefully brought out of the fridge to let it 'mellow', just as I like it.

That's great staff for you. 🙂

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I agree on portion size. Who needs to be  wheelbarrowed off for disembarkation!!!

The only pud I have is the occasional Crepes Suzette. I'm a cheese fan but am very particular and once staff get to know your likes, you find 'your' cheese has been carefully brought out of the fridge to let it 'mellow', just as I like it.

That's great staff for you. 🙂

We're big bread and butter fans when we dine out, it's really embarrassing, because we don't have bread at home (we just don't buy it) so we go a little crazy. 

We asked for extra butter at lunch yesterday and at dinner there was four servings of butter.   Very nice not to ask for extra butter and that they remembered our preference.  Although I'm not sure if we should be eating that much butter 😃, so YES, great staff.  I think that things are finally normalizing. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

Don't hold out on us Joe

I didn't post his name, because we wanted to confirm it's him, but he wasn't at dinner last night, but I'm 100% sure its him, because he's on board with his mother again.  I remember seeing a social media post on one of the platforms that he's on the QM2, but can't find it anywhere right now. 

I think on this past trip in this video he was in PG with his mom, but in QG this trip, again with his mother.  He blogs on luxury travel.  Maybe they moved him to a better table, which is why we didn't see him last night...  

• Like 4

This was delivered last night and I totally missed it.   A super cute thing to do and very much appreciated as we've been totally out of touch on what's happening at home.  We knew about the heat wave from family and sports information, but not too much US news in our travels, which is probably a nice thing....

IMG_3989.thumb.JPEG.4e8922010dd31ff089aed417b70d6602.JPEG

IMG_3990(1).thumb.JPEG.b73b221056104dc2433b9a77a4580b2e.JPEG  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Joe33472 said:

This was delivered last night and I totally missed it.   A super cute thing to do and very much appreciated as we've been totally out of touch on what's happening at home.  We knew about the heat wave from family and sports information, but not too much US news in our travels, which is probably a nice thing....

IMG_3989.thumb.JPEG.4e8922010dd31ff089aed417b70d6602.JPEG

IMG_3990(1).thumb.JPEG.b73b221056104dc2433b9a77a4580b2e.JPEG  

We got the Canadian version of it, and I have seen British guests getting their own version too. I'm impressed by this attention to details. 

Edited by leyland1989
  • Like 3