Norwegian Gem Questions

Interested what people think of norwegian gem. The canada new england cruise is a bucket list cruise for me so i don’t want to be on a dud. I’ve been on a smaller older ship before (brilliance of the seas) so that doesn’t bother me much. Also wondering whats the best deck to be on? I’d be booking an interior room.

My suggestions would be to study the decks and book a cabin that has cabins above and below you.  I try to book as close to the center of the ship as possible.  You do not want to book a cabin that has public spaces (theater, restaurants, bars or the pool) either above or below you.

Book your cruise and enjoy.  The Gem is a great ship.

• Like 1

The Gem is one the the Jewel class ships with Norwegian. They are our favorite size of ships and nine of our cruises have been on this class with three being on the Gem. Not too big and not too small.

We always book interior rooms, midship on deck ten. The lido deck is only 2 decks above and you are only a few decks away from the lower decks with the restaurants and shops.

I love the Gem and spent 15 nights on her in December. I’d book deck 9 but I’m not big on lido deck. Last year I was on deck 8 and liked it but some people didn’t like the weird winding hallways.

20 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

Last year I was on deck 8 and liked it but some people didn’t like the weird winding hallways.

Also, Deck 8 has the public spaces of Deck 7 below it.  On the Jewel-class ships (including the Gem), I think Deck 10 is a good choice, with cabins above and below. 

29 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

I’m wondering about deck 4. Deck 5 has a weird large empty space on it though. Anyone know what it is?

Deck 5 Mid/Aft with the large white space is, if I'm not mistaken & stand corrected, is the gallery/kitchen & related facilities - operations & storage, and depending on the specific cabins available, prone to noises when crew go about their regular daily routines.  Cross-reference also what is directly above on Deck 6.  Deck 4 Insides aren't bad, closer to the Fwd - white space on the other side are storage and some of the movable equipment for tender/gangway operations if & when it is used, and, can be busy & noisy when there is activities and movement.  We've stay on Deck 4 and 5's Oceanviews ... 

Some of the Inside cabins on Deck 8 midship are good as well, cabins above and I don't recall noises coming from below (Deck 7) - a few Sideway Insides have a slightly different layout & seemed spacious b/c of the bedding & furniture arrangement ... they are quiet as well - as we'stayed in those Obstructed Oceanviews, sometimes you can book those for slightly more than Insides.  Noises coming the atrium lobby near the midship elevators/stairs - if any, will cease & go quiet after 11 PM as some of the music will "bleed" thru the stairs/hallways down the corridor, find something a little more toward forward and you'll be fine.  

Go to cruisedeckplans dot com and look it up, useful info, and link to videos posted/shared by others.  Enjoy your cruise & happy planning. 

44 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

Thanks all. I’m wondering about deck 4. Deck 5 has a weird large empty space on it though. Anyone know what it is?

Some "white spaces" on Deck 4 and 5 are crew cabins, very quiet most of the time.

Deck 4 have the gangways which can be very noisy and congested.

I try not to book on Deck 4 and 5 anymore.

32 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

Thanks all. Its sounding like 9 or 10 would be good choices. Dodged a bullet on deck 4!

Deck 4 is great. You didn’t dodge a non existent bullet. 

Gem is a fine choice.

After 3 b2b cruise to Quebec from Boston I will say you will see some rough water.

A cabin on a lower deck center/aft will give you a much better ride.

Posted (edited)

Thanks, i’m still not clear if deck 5 blank space is a galley or crew area. I’ve been under a galley before on a holland america ship and it was horrible! Never again. I am concerned about roughness though. I didn’t realize canada new england cruise was rough. Other than that i’m not concerned about traffic if during day. I liked being on deck 4 on brilliance of the seas. Deck 5 is also weir as has a big blank space at aft.

Edited by latebuyer

20 hours ago, latebuyer said:

Interested what people think of norwegian gem. The canada new england cruise is a bucket list cruise for me so i don’t want to be on a dud. I’ve been on a smaller older ship before (brilliance of the seas) so that doesn’t bother me much. Also wondering whats the best deck to be on? I’d be booking an interior room.

Deck 9 or 10 keeps passenger floors above and below you. That being said, we really don't have any issues being on any deck. Unless you are above the Bliss lounge and want to go to sleep at 10 pm. 

A good NE/Canada cruise is to go one way from Boston to Quebec. The R/T Boston doesn't really do it for us. We enjoy sailing down St. Lawrence. It's is beautiful.

Bucket List cruises are usually done for the itinerary. As a frequent cruise, for us the ship is the ship. The Gem falls into the small, older ship category with more "traditional" cruising. The Joy, which is a big, new ship, sails out of NY, but you loose the New England ports.  

Well, the galley like on many ships as well as the Gem,  does make it a little difficult to move from forward and midship on the Gem. The most elegant main dining room is aft, so it can be confusing to get there the first time. The ship has fewer passengers and more public spaces including many specialty restaurants as well as complimentary for most ships it size.
I was on it on the June 7-14  cruise round trip to  Boston to Bermuda including one day at Bar Harbor. Loved never feeling crowded anywhere, but hated the persistent nickel and diming, and would have missed the lack of live complimentary entertainment options if staying out a bit later and enjoying beautiful Bermuda on the gorgeous sun- filled days didn’t kept us on the ship too much. Not happy with Norwegian’s cuts to complimentary live entertainment, but that’s not just the Gem.

Check out ship deck sites to see where your cabin might be in order to find if you might be in a less desirable location.

but even though it’s older, the Gem , with its 2 pools and them corresponding less exciting venues like rock climbing and fancy pools leads to less teenagers on board, don’t blame me, but because I’ve learned before that they are often less supervised and therefore more likely to cause mischief then you’re more likely to have an enjoyable adult experience.. More room, less wait lines, more specialty restaurants for ships ‘this size, less waits- if you’re excited about the itinerary, go for it