Cruise booked but never confirmed?

Hello! Thanks in advance….i always book cruises through a travel agent. On Monday, June 17th, I inquired about a 7 day cruise at the end of September. The TA emailed me the details and that was the end of it. I talked it over with my wife and we decided to do something else for vacation that week. On Tuesday I received an email from RC “Welcoming Me Back” with the Ship and date for the specific cruise I inquired about. I thought maybe there was a temporary hold and went about the week. On Thursday afternoon I received the same email from RC again. This time I logged into both the RC app and the actual RC website on the computer. They both show a confirmation number, we have a room assignment, it has the XX days to go countdown, I have a $150 OBC, and I can book excursions and other things onboard. I immediately checked the CC that is affiliated with the TA and nothing has been charged. I’m going to call RC on Monday and see what is going on but wondered if you guys had any insight? 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Demobrett said:

Hello! Thanks in advance….i always book cruises through a travel agent. On Monday, June 17th, I inquired about a 7 day cruise at the end of September. The TA emailed me the details and that was the end of it. I talked it over with my wife and we decided to do something else for vacation that week. On Tuesday I received an email from RC “Welcoming Me Back” with the Ship and date for the specific cruise I inquired about. I thought maybe there was a temporary hold and went about the week. On Thursday afternoon I received the same email from RC again. This time I logged into both the RC app and the actual RC website on the computer. They both show a confirmation number, we have a room assignment, it has the XX days to go countdown, I have a $150 OBC, and I can book excursions and other things onboard. I immediately checked the CC that is affiliated with the TA and nothing has been charged. I’m going to call RC on Monday and see what is going on but wondered if you guys had any insight? 

Bookings that a TA put on hold will show up in the app and cruise planner and with the obc you can even make purchases.

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Unless the hold is confirmed with a deposit to the reservation, it will be dropped typically 3-5 days after the initial hold.

Holds are considered as reservations "offered" and become a confirmed booking only with a deposit. 

Edited by leaveitallbehind

11 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Unless the hold is confirmed with a deposit to the reservation, it will be dropped typically 3-5 days after the initial hold.

TA holds can be up to 30 days (for group bookings).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Holds are considered as reservations "offered" and become a confirmed booking only with a deposit. 

I have clients still seeing holds in the app months after they expired

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

TA holds can be up to 30 days (for group bookings).

Correct, depending on required deposit date.  I was answering the OP's question as an individual booking, but that may not be the case.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Not always efficient at removing them - LOL.  Also leaves a quick option to reinstate.  But it is not an confirmed booking without a deposit.

Ditto your last response as well....  They do like to keep certain group booking options open.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

24 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Some have even sailed with an old hold and their actual booking when they asked their TA to change something. I forget the details but it was mildly confusing at first.