Swiss army knives!

elmsliebev

Husband has a Swiss army knife with scissors, nail clippers, file etc, including a small blade. Are these classed as Prohibited Items? 

The wording on the site is

"

• Knives and all other sharp bladed implements that are capable of being used as a weapon (including Skean Dhu, ceremonial knives and swords). "

so I'm assuming they're not allowed. Any one with experience of taking one on board?

Thanks

On one of our first sailings out of the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal in NY, I accidentally had my version of Swiss Army Knife in my camera/utility bag.

I was shocked I didn't know I had it in there. The Security Camera Scanner caught it.

I had to leave it at the terminal in a package and picked it us on our return.

It is a restricted item to take on board even though it can be useful during the trip as you described. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, elmsliebev said:

Husband has a Swiss army knife with scissors, nail clippers, file etc, including a small blade. Are these classed as Prohibited Items? 

The wording on the site is

"

• Knives and all other sharp bladed implements that are capable of being used as a weapon (including Skean Dhu, ceremonial knives and swords). "

so I'm assuming they're not allowed. Any one with experience of taking one on board?

Thanks

Take mine all the time. No problem. Even have one with princess name and logo.  Always gets through. 

The apparent concern is about if the blade can be locked [like on my 1968 vintage 'Official Cub Scout' pocketknife]

I had a small [1 inch blade - but locking] knife taken to the naughty room when returning from a shore excursion - Cunard insisted on returning it on disembarkation [I said it was only a 99 cent knife - keep it]

Since then my 'new tinker' swiss army knife [philips screwdriver in place of the corkscrew] has been on six QM2 crossings.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, olegna said:

Take mine all the time. No problem. Even have one with princess name and logo.  Always gets through. 

Do you pack it in your suitcase or carry it in your carry on.    I am tempted to bring my Swiss Army Knife and put it in my shaving kit.

16 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Do you pack it in your suitcase or carry it in your carry on.    I am tempted to bring my Swiss Army Knife and put it in my shaving kit.

Don't hide it. Had it in my carryon so it could be removed for closer look if requested. Was just at the Brooklyn por last week and back again next. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lee Jones Jnr said:

Why?

I eat at least one orange a day and it really helps peel the orange.   I cut through the skin a circle at the top and then perpendicular.    Really easy to peel.  They do sell a plastic tool that does the same so will probably just pick one up.

• Like 1

I think I will just leave it behind and find a substitute.

Security checkers have a mind of their own.  Give a man a uniform and they want to take charge.

As an aside,  I have Jury Duty and was selected as a Juror for a Murder Trial.   The first day when going through security they took a tap measure I had in my backpack and said it was considered a weapon.    When picking it up when leaving.  I said to a different guard,  "I didn't realize a tape measure was a weapon --- he said   "Neither had I" 

• Like 1

I brought a Swiss Knife on board QM2 in Brooklyn with a 5 or 6cm blade without any problems.That was in May. It was in my handbag that I carried through security just in case someone would have cared, I could sort it without delaying handling of my suitcases.