Amazed and dismayed by FLL Hyatt Place Prices

57 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Several years ago, I learned the hard way to check the dates for the boat shows in Fort Lauderdale or Miami prior to booking a cruise.  Also check major events like some concerts.

Good point.  We usually sail out of PC, so I don't think about that.

On 6/23/2024 at 9:09 AM, handbellplayer said:

I understand that now, but I can't reschedule our cruise. 

Thanks to all for your advice.  I have booked the Riverside Hotel.

Hi neighbor! I have the Riverside booked for April 2025, so please report back on how your stay was. I've never used Uber, so I guess we will do a taxi.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2024 at 9:09 AM, handbellplayer said:

I understand that now, but I can't reschedule our cruise. 

Thanks to all for your advice.  I have booked the Riverside Hotel.

We love Riverside and will be staying there again early September. Good call.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, straitlover1965 said:

Hi neighbor! I have the Riverside booked for April 2025, so please report back on how your stay was. I've never used Uber, so I guess we will do a taxi.

We have stayed here numerous times.  Love the place. Unfortunately,I think feel the word got out. Tons of restaurants and shopping.  All within walking distance. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, straitlover1965 said:

I sure will - lots of good reviews here. though. 

You really should try Uber - cheaper and easier.  You just download the app to your phone.  You put in you origin and destination addresses and the app will tell you the cost and charge it directly to your credit card.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, handbellplayer said:

You really should try Uber - cheaper and easier.  You just download the app to your phone.  You put in you origin and destination addresses and the app will tell you the cost and charge it directly to your credit card.

I'm a big chicken, watch too many crime shows LOL. It's me and my sister, no spring chickens. All I can think of is some crazy person or a fake driver picking us up and taking us to the woods and murdering us. Nuts, I know ...

1 hour ago, straitlover1965 said:

I'm a big chicken, watch too many crime shows LOL. It's me and my sister, no spring chickens. All I can think of is some crazy person or a fake driver picking us up and taking us to the woods and murdering us. Nuts, I know ...

In Fort Lauderdale, you have a much better chance of a cab driver with a "broken meter" over charging you for the ride than you do meeting Travis Bickle driving for Uber / Lyft....

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Cienfuegos said:

In Fort Lauderdale, you have a much better chance of a cab driver with a "broken meter" over charging you for the ride than you do meeting Travis Bickle driving for Uber / Lyft....

Truth!  If you are careful, Uber can be very safe.  You are told the driver's name and make of car and other identifying information.  

https://www.uber.com/us/en/ride/safety/tips/

4 hours ago, straitlover1965 said:

you can choose a female driver as well. I think. When I was setting up my Lyft account, I could swear it asked whether I wanted to pick female drivers (since I am a female).

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, straitlover1965 said:

I completely understand!! The first time in Uber for me and I was with one of my adult sons who handled it . ( he tried to explain as he was doing it 🤷‍♀️).  The next time my youngest son who has Down Syndrome was with me and I had to manage it on my own. When the driver arrived and confirmed everything, I let him know it was my first time using the Uber app and he was SO helpful and kind. I’m still not completely comfortable with it, but I have a successful trip under my belt now!

• Like 3

On 6/27/2024 at 2:43 PM, Elaine5715 said:

Fun fact I learned on the water taxi tour, is that boat crews are not permitted to stay on yachts while docked in Fort Lauderdale.  

Having lived right along the river in FLL next to where many yachts docked....I can tell you that is false.

21 hours ago, cruisin'mama said:

I completely understand!! The first time in Uber for me and I was with one of my adult sons who handled it . ( he tried to explain as he was doing it 🤷‍♀️).  The next time my youngest son who has Down Syndrome was with me and I had to manage it on my own. When the driver arrived and confirmed everything, I let him know it was my first time using the Uber app and he was SO helpful and kind. I’m still not completely comfortable with it, but I have a successful trip under my belt now!

same here, but it's my hubs. He uses Uber/Lyft all the time, and when we travel as a family it's a no brainer that he'd be the one ordering one. But I had to use it one time for myself (the car was at the dealership for a few days and I had to get home) - I managed. DH helped me set up the account and showed me how to use it. It is easier than an iphone. 🙂 We are Android people, and I still can't for the life of me figure out iphones. 🙂

• Like 1

On 6/28/2024 at 6:26 PM, handbellplayer said:

I sure will - lots of good reviews here. though. 

We just started doing this and easy peasy. 

• Like 1

On 6/29/2024 at 9:53 PM, straitlover1965 said:

Thank y'all for not making fun of me :).

Learning to use Lyft / Uber is like everything else.  Maybe a little scary at first, but it comes together.  Here in south Florida, a lot of people use the car services for doctor appointments, etc

• Like 4

We stayed at the Riverside in Jan before our cruise & the onsite restaurant was very good & I felt reasonably priced (we've paid much more at other hotel restaurants that were not very good).  There are many restaurants very close to Riverside, the water taxi stops at the hotel & we were in the newer tower & it was very nice.  I read they are renovating rooms in the older section but I don't have any other info.  I did call them a couple times before our trip & they were helpful & nice.  Hope you have a good stay!  BTW I have them booked again for 1 night in May 2025 before another cruise.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, happy42cruise said:

We stayed at the Riverside in Jan before our cruise & the onsite restaurant was very good & I felt reasonably priced (we've paid much more at other hotel restaurants that were not very good).  There are many restaurants very close to Riverside, the water taxi stops at the hotel & we were in the newer tower & it was very nice.  I read they are renovating rooms in the older section but I don't have any other info.  I did call them a couple times before our trip & they were helpful & nice.  Hope you have a good stay!  BTW I have them booked again for 1 night in May 2025 before another cruise.  

So grateful for all of the positive feedback!