Entertainment - what actually happened

6 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

And RCCL has always been playing catch-up. Have you noticed that their new ICON class ships have suddenly started to incorporate features NCL incorporated over a decade ago? RCCL hangs on to dead concepts like Formal Nights which the vast majority of passengers ignore. 

I am a Diamond NCL member, Diamond RCCL member, Diamond MSC member, Platinum Cunard member and see it all (since we sail on all lines frequently). NCL continues to revolutionize the cruise industry,,, RCCL not so much/not at all. And MSC can't find its way out of the 80s.

Thanks for your opinions. Given all the innovations and revolutions NCL has done and is doing, the fact remains their stock price has not produced the anticipated results. NCL is down 14% YTD at $17 a share and RCL is up 15% YTD at $152 a share. It looks to me like NCL is the one that has been trying to play catch up. And, since all the innovations haven't produced the expected result in the stock price, they are moving forward with cost cutting to see if that will work. If they believe further cost cutting is a successful way forward, well, I can't help them there.

NCL would be well served to take a deep look at it's entire offering. We sail Royal the least of any cruise line. However, what you will find is a consistent, steady product offering that has wide appeal to any age group. People know exactly what they are buying when they buy a cruise on RCL.

It strikes me as odd that the line that you think is "playing catch-up" ( your opinion) is running financial circles around the industry "innovator" (again, your opinion).

• Like 7

2 hours ago, luv2kroooz said:

Thanks for your opinions. Given all the innovations and revolutions NCL has done and is doing, the fact remains their stock price has not produced the anticipated results. NCL is down 14% YTD at $17 a share and RCL is up 15% YTD at $152 a share. It looks to me like NCL is the one that has been trying to play catch up. And, since all the innovations haven't produced the expected result in the stock price, they are moving forward with cost cutting to see if that will work. If they believe further cost cutting is a successful way forward, well, I can't help them there.

NCL would be well served to take a deep look at it's entire offering. We sail Royal the least of any cruise line. However, what you will find is a consistent, steady product offering that has wide appeal to any age group. People know exactly what they are buying when they buy a cruise on RCL.

It strikes me as odd that the line that you think is "playing catch-up" ( your opinion) is running financial circles around the industry "innovator" (again, your opinion).

Stock share prices have little to do with the discussion on entertainment. Each company has it's own set of financial problems coming out of the shutdown.

Having read how stock analysis is done on cruise lines over the last 2 years, it is obvious that none of them actually have been on cruises.

All 3 major lines are down compared to their high point last November. Analysts always factor in the last quarter. The first quarter is never the strongest for cruise lines. The 3rd quarter is the strongest due to summer travel.

That makes them cyclical stocks.

Both NCL  and RCL are sailing over capacity, up to 107 percent or so. That will give them a strong 2nd and 3rd quarter set of numbers, so expect stock prices to go up in November again this year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Panhandle Couple said:

Stock share prices have little to do with the discussion on entertainment. Each company has it's own set of financial problems coming out of the shutdown.

Having read how stock analysis is done on cruise lines over the last 2 years, it is obvious that none of them actually have been on cruises.

All 3 major lines are down compared to their high point last November. Analysts always factor in the last quarter. The first quarter is never the strongest for cruise lines. The 3rd quarter is the strongest due to summer travel.

That makes them cyclical stocks.

Both NCL  and RCL are sailing over capacity, up to 107 percent or so. That will give them a strong 2nd and 3rd quarter set of numbers, so expect stock prices to go up in November again this year.

I agree no direct correlation. However, if a goal is to increase stock price, cost cutting is a means to that end . What RCL has done in a very particular innovative way is to build bigger. They have huge competitive economic advantages over their competition as they are able to sprinkle costs over a large population. And their newest ships are commanding prices far and above their competition. Again, not our cup of tea.  

Edited by luv2kroooz
  • Like 1

I was on a NCL cruise a couple decades ago where they had a passenger talent show. There were auditions throughout the week prior to the show, so it wasn't a free for all. The night of the main show, the theatre was packed! They should bring that back! It's relatively low cost, but high entertainment.

They could even have two shows, a family friendly one where kids are allowed to show their talents, and then an adult one for adult "super stars."

• Like 7

I saw Rock of Ages multiple times on 6 cruises on Breakaway, and the theater was nearly full every single show.  I had broad appeal to all age groups except two:  the very young and the very prudish.  It's a shame they didn't see that and find similar shows across the fleet and a shame they let it go.

Also agree about the talent show!  They had crew and passengers and it was well attended. Cheap to put on. Why  not every cruise!?

• Like 6

The old days ... not just that, there was another show showcasing the crews talent in the main theater ... it's not everybody's "cup of tea" and as noted, little to no production costs while cruising "to sail and sustain".  While it's likely not going to help NCL management to get their fuel costs under control anytime soon while the "butchering" with the dining and entertainment - gaming experience continue to drive more NCL fans to start looking & sailing elsewhere ... as we are doing.  

A recent Bank of America analyst raised a caution flag about apparent softening of booking prices among cruise lines ... time will tell and entertain us as to whether the blinded cheering are warranted ahead.  It isn't pleasant as we hold - not just NCL and CCL , also T&E stocks and index funds in our portfolios.  

23 minutes ago, TheBeardedCruiser said:

I was on a NCL cruise a couple decades ago where they had a passenger talent show. There were auditions throughout the week prior to the show, so it wasn't a free for all. The night of the main show, the theatre was packed ... 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

The old days ... not just that, there was another show showcasing the crews talent in the main theater ... it's not everybody's "cup of tea" and as noted, little to no production costs while cruising "to sail and sustain".  .  

On my last MSC Cruises cruise (earlier this month), the staff did a talent show. It was mid-afternoon, in the main theatre, but very well attended. It was loads of fun! I wish every cruise line did that!

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

I saw Rock of Ages multiple times on 6 cruises on Breakaway, and the theater was nearly full every single show.  I had broad appeal to all age groups except two:  the very young and the very prudish.  It's a shame they didn't see that and find similar shows across the fleet and a shame they let it go.

the only thing similar they have done is the syd norman pour house. it kind of has rock of ages vibes when they do a regular set in addition to the rumors tribute 

Looks like we probably made a smart move to not cruise NCL until 2025 for something like this ? - in the Spigel Tent 🙄  ... has been the talking points lately when asked what's ahead.  

Screenshot_20240623-1249302.thumb.png.7747f74baf6b9de4d9581ba2caebb001.png

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

And RCCL has always been playing catch-up. Have you noticed that their new ICON class ships have suddenly started to incorporate features NCL incorporated over a decade ago? RCCL hangs on to dead concepts like Formal Nights which the vast majority of passengers ignore. 

I am a Diamond NCL member, Diamond RCCL member, Diamond MSC member, Platinum Cunard member and see it all (since we sail on all lines frequently). NCL continues to revolutionize the cruise industry,,, RCCL not so much/not at all. And MSC can't find its way out of the 80s.

I see nothing wrong with having Formal Nights for those passengers who like to dress up.  I don't do formal nights, but I don't mind seeing passengers dressed to the nines.

As to revolutionizing the cruise industry, it seems to me that NCL is leading the way with price increases, service reductions, lower food quality, and reduced entertainment.  This of course is my just my view, and I only cruise 3 times a year.  I'll be cruising on the Breakaway this September and as a food critic and a member of cruise critic I'll be viewing the Breakaway with a critical eye.

Since I have no connections with the cruise or travel industry my trip reports are always my honest feelings and I don't sugar coat anything.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, shof515 said:

on the cruises ive been on, they was always some kind of "broadway" type of show in the Spigel Tent. the name was broadway unplugged or something like that 

And it was terrific! Any type of Broadway musical show, I'm there.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

Wow. Pretty low standards, no? This sounds to me like people standing on a stage singing to a pre-recorded backing track. Better said, Karaoke, no?

Low standards? I don't think so. The shows I saw were packed, and the performers played instruments live. Any pre-recorded help just augmented.  I'm in 2 performing unions and while some people may or may not like the offerings, I think the voices involved are terrific. It's all subjective.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, The P said:

Low standards? I don't think so. The shows I saw were packed, and the performers played instruments live. Any pre-recorded help just augmented.  I'm in 2 performing unions and while some people may or may not like the offerings, I think the voices involved are terrific. It's all subjective.

I would def go if they had live musical instruments. I just dont like when they trot some singer in front of a video wall and ask them to sing to prerecorded tracks for 40 minutes. If its live music, Im going too.

Edited by luv2kroooz
  • Like 2

Entertainment isn't hugely important to me. 

I hate game shows and would not go to any of them. Ever! 

Talent shows not my thing either even though some acts may be great I'm sure.

Not crazy about cover bands, but can be great. I would not stand in line long for one though! 

Magicians etc can go either way. IF I go I get a seat where it's easy to leave. But some of them I have enjoyed a lot! 

I DO however like to watch dancing done by people that know their stuff. Ballroom, showdance, even hiphop 😮 I LOVE it all! And when the Broadway type show are dropped, lots of dancing is lost. That's a pity! 😞 I like the production cast theather shows in general, if for nothing else, to admire the talent of the performers. I'd hate to lose them! (Not crazy about the "Broadway tune" performances in for example Bliss lounge even if it's by those same talented performers I love watching in the theather.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Asawi said:

Entertainment isn't hugely important to me. 

I hate game shows and would not go to any of them. Ever! 

Talent shows not my thing either even though some acts may be great I'm sure.

Not crazy about cover bands, but can be great. I would not stand in line long for one though! 

Magicians etc can go either way. IF I go I get a seat where it's easy to leave. But some of them I have enjoyed a lot! 

I DO however like to watch dancing done by people that know their stuff. Ballroom, showdance, even hiphop 😮 I LOVE it all! And when the Broadway type show are dropped, lots of dancing is lost. That's a pity! 😞 I like the production cast theather shows in general, if for nothing else, to admire the talent of the performers. I'd hate to lose them! (Not crazy about the "Broadway tune" performances in for example Bliss lounge even if it's by those same talented performers I love watching in the theather.)

It's hard to sustain a professional career. As long as audiences support whatever kind of entertainment and talent they enjoy, that's the important thing. I've had friends who performed and enjoyed working on ships. Game shows will NEVER take the place of creatives being creative for me and a lot of others. I'll think of you at my tap class later today, Asawi. The entertainment world, wherever it occurs, needs the support from people like you and luv2kroooz.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/23/2024 at 7:31 AM, BirdTravels said:

That being said, I have been to 4 Price is Right, 2 Press Your Luck, and 3 Wheel of Fortune shows on NCL (replacement to production shows) and, while they had decent attendance, they definitely did not fill a 600 or 800 seat theater.

To be honest, they don't need to fill a theater. These shows will generate revenue because people pay to play along. The Broadway shows are "expenses" because the price is included in the cruise fare.

I agree, I am disappointed that the Broadway shows are leaving and I am beginning to tire of NCL (and cruises in general) trying to upcharge everything.

Edited by RN_Prof
spelling error
  • Like 2

We (millennial couple) and daughter (Gen Z) love the Broadway-style shows and have been disappointed that there were none on the last two cruises. We were sticking with NCL for the status perks, but I'm not sure it is worth it anymore. We may end up going to RCCL to have the shows and dining experience that NCL has cut back on recently.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, bookgirl1384 said:

We (millennial couple) and daughter (Gen Z) love the Broadway-style shows and have been disappointed that there were none on the last two cruises. We were sticking with NCL for the status perks, but I'm not sure it is worth it anymore. We may end up going to RCCL to have the shows and dining experience that NCL has cut back on recently.

Yes, of course you enjoy the Broadway shows just like the rest of the millennial and Gen Z. The "evolution" and "contemporary cruiser" comments get trotted out routinely to disguise and defend the severe entertainment cutbacks that are evident to most fair thinking consumers. Just smoke in mirrors, here.

• Like 7

14 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

NCL is currently (today) casting COM in London (I suppose you need the British lads for the show). Vocalist and Musicians. 

image.png.28dc694920003f9f71cff78ff38f0a0d.png

Here's video the included with the casting call

http://nclhcreativestudios.com/video/COM_SIZZLE.mp4

Also casting for general vocalists and dancers. And aerialist couples (short 3-6 month contracts). 

Perfect I board encore December 3rd

12 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

The "evolution" and "contemporary cruiser" comments get trotted out routinely to disguise and defend the severe entertainment cutbacks that are evident to most fair thinking consumers. 

Exactly! Of course it's all about cutting costs! If indeed the game shows attract "the contemporary cruiser" they can be had without removing the "real" shows (Broadway or not). 

• Like 1

I’m a millennial cruiser and I barely bother going to the shows. I found on the smaller vessels that I prefer the performers weren’t to the standard I expect. With celebrity honestly most of the cast of my high school musicals was better. I expect the show on a ship to be better than my high school or just don’t bother putting them on. I’ll go see the comedian but otherwise you’ll find me in a bar with a duet or something in the background.

Quick note I went to an art school and several of the cast ended up on broadway including one of the main actresses in Come From Away. I know my standards are higher than most.

2 minutes ago, Asawi said:

Exactly! Of course it's all about cutting costs! If indeed the game shows attract "the contemporary cruiser" they can be had without removing the "real" shows (Broadway or not). 

Yep, Carnival has been doing this for years. I dont like their game shows either, by the way. Started with Hasbro, then Family Feud and they now have Deal or No Deal. But they still have their headliner shows as an included option for anyone that enjoys them.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

If you read the post, it means providing activities that attract the younger cruisers (middle aged folks, not kids). You want the non-boomers to say "that was great, let's do it again". The boomers/post-war will keep sailing regardless of what's offered.  

Did you sail to get MSC Diamond or did you status match?

• Like 1