Entertainment - what actually happened

16 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

If you read the post, it means providing activities that attract the younger cruisers (middle aged folks, not kids). You want the non-boomers to say "that was great, let's do it again". The boomers/post-war will keep sailing regardless of what's offered.  

And RCCL has always been playing catch-up. Have you noticed that their new ICON class ships have suddenly started to incorporate features NCL incorporated over a decade ago? RCCL hangs on to dead concepts like Formal Nights which the vast majority of passengers ignore. 

I am a Diamond NCL member, Diamond RCCL member, Diamond MSC member, Platinum Cunard member and see it all (since we sail on all lines frequently). NCL continues to revolutionize the cruise industry,,, RCCL not so much/not at all. And MSC can't find its way out of the 80s.

Your opinion is your opinion.

NCL almost went bankrupt and was finally bought out by Star Cruises 

NCL started charging for entertainment shows and found out that would not fly. 

Now NCL is using TV game shows and charges guest to participate.

Entertainment on NCL is really going down hill. Ok the Prima you had to line up hours to get into the small rooms to see some shows.

FYI - I am Sapphire on NCL.

Diamond+ on RCI

Elite + on Celebrity

Elite on Princess

Diamond on MSC.

I have over 180 cruises.

RCI is and has never been catching up to NCL.

Look at the ship inventory and passenger capacity compare to NCL.

MSC is a family owned company. Look at the recent MSC new builds. Their ports of calls. They have been in the US market since 2006 headed up by Celebrity's Rick Sasso.

Tell us about the Icon, Wonder, Harmony. Let us tell you about the Prima. Been on it 2 times. Never again.

Going on the Joy in Nov 2024.

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

There are aspects of NCL entertainment that we really enjoy (Choir or Man, Syd Normans and the Beatles depending on the era they were playing).  The rest of the entertainment was seriously lacking.  My wife dragged me to what was billed as a rockabilly show, the band (from Brazil) either was not clued in as to the theme or they ignored it, but we left because it sucked and they weren't very good to begin with.  That's our combined experience on both the Epic and the Escape.  The Pride of America was a completely different animal and the entertainment there was lacking and that is generous.  

We miss the live band on sea days (the Escape never had one) and we were in Europe on the Epic with zero sea days.  

When it comes to entertainment I'd like to see the following:

1. Give us an adult Howl at the Moon, let it be off color and raunchy, like you get on land (think Lucile). The current version is too tame and they repeat the same songs every hour (at least that's our experience).

2. If you have a comedy club, give us comedy with multiple comedians and maybe just maybe an improv night.  

3. Move Syd Norman's to a larger venue and give the performers some latitude to play different music.  I know that it is a scripted show, but if you think about it, if there was some variety in the songs played, and variety in the different themed nights (80's alternative on the Escape, a hard rock on the Joy, etc.) and let the performers change things up, it would spark interest.  

4.  I know that the themed nights (GLOW/White parties) are still popular, but in my opinion, I think they need to be retired.  The one on the Escape was tired and played out, even the Cruise Director left after like two songs.  I'm not sure what to replace it with.

These are just my thoughts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, jkbec101 said:

There are aspects of NCL entertainment that we really enjoy (Choir or Man, Syd Normans and the Beatles depending on the era they were playing).  The rest of the entertainment was seriously lacking.  My wife dragged me to what was billed as a rockabilly show, the band (from Brazil) either was not clued in as to the theme or they ignored it, but we left because it sucked and they weren't very good to begin with.  That's our combined experience on both the Epic and the Escape.  The Pride of America was a completely different animal and the entertainment there was lacking and that is generous.  

We miss the live band on sea days (the Escape never had one) and we were in Europe on the Epic with zero sea days.  

When it comes to entertainment I'd like to see the following:

1. Give us an adult Howl at the Moon, let it be off color and raunchy, like you get on land (think Lucile). The current version is too tame and they repeat the same songs every hour (at least that's our experience).

2. If you have a comedy club, give us comedy with multiple comedians and maybe just maybe an improv night.  

3. Move Syd Norman's to a larger venue and give the performers some latitude to play different music.  I know that it is a scripted show, but if you think about it, if there was some variety in the songs played, and variety in the different themed nights (80's alternative on the Escape, a hard rock on the Joy, etc.) and let the performers change things up, it would spark interest.  

4.  I know that the themed nights (GLOW/White parties) are still popular, but in my opinion, I think they need to be retired.  The one on the Escape was tired and played out, even the Cruise Director left after like two songs.  I'm not sure what to replace it with.

These are just my thoughts.

OMG! You really put the details on here and said what I tried to say. Fantastic! Do you write reviews professionally? I'm serious, you really hit it so clear, precise and left no doubt how NCL is loosing in this area. 

I remember our 2 Prima cruises. Very limited entertainment in very small venues. Bring back the shows and reduce our standing in live for an hour to go into Syds.

Thank you!

• Like 1

I definitely don't think they're cutting Broadway shows to appeal to younger cruisers. I think Young Adults are probably more into Broadway musicals than their elders are or were at the same age. Hadestown, Hamilton, Six(!), Dear Evan Hansen, (I could go on) all pretty damn popular with the kids. They just can't afford to see them live. Especially if that would mean traveling to New York.

Which sounds like an opportunity to me. 

I dunno man, I'm pretty stoked to see Jersey Boys this fall on the Bliss. The other show is something called Icons, which just seems to be a bunch of songs with no narrative or thematic thread between them. And whether or not I actually go to that depends on if there's anything else at all happening during that time slot, and also if I remembered to download some movies to my phone. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Menocchio said:

I definitely don't think they're cutting Broadway shows to appeal to younger cruisers. I think Young Adults are probably more into Broadway musicals than their elders are or were at the same age. Hadestown, Hamilton, Six(!), Dear Evan Hansen, (I could go on) all pretty damn popular with the kids. They just can't afford to see them live. Especially if that would mean traveling to New York.

I dunno man, I'm pretty stoked to see Jersey Boys this fall on the Bliss. The other show is something called Icons, which just seems to be a bunch of songs with no narrative or thematic thread between them. And whether or not I actually go to that depends on if there's anything else at all happening during that time slot, and also if I remembered to download some movies to my phone. 

Jersey Boys is amazing. Very talented cast they have onboard. Thoroughly enjoyed seeing it onboard. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Menocchio said:

Icons was one of the in-house shows on the Sky in Feb/Mar. so so 

no real plot or story, just performers playing and singing sons from Iconic singer/musicians. But it was better than a game show you had to pay for, but far less satisfying than a named Broadway-style show. I would not go again.

• Like 2

On 6/23/2024 at 10:53 PM, BirdTravels said:

If you read the post, it means providing activities that attract the younger cruisers (middle aged folks, not kids). You want the non-boomers to say "that was great, let's do it again". The boomers/post-war will keep sailing regardless of what's offered.  

And RCCL has always been playing catch-up. Have you noticed that their new ICON class ships have suddenly started to incorporate features NCL incorporated over a decade ago? RCCL hangs on to dead concepts like Formal Nights which the vast majority of passengers ignore. 

I am a Diamond NCL member, Diamond RCCL member, Diamond MSC member, Platinum Cunard member and see it all (since we sail on all lines frequently). NCL continues to revolutionize the cruise industry,,, RCCL not so much/not at all. And MSC can't find its way out of the 80s.

I guess that's why I enjoyed my cruise on MSC Meraviglia. The 80's were a fun time for some of us. I am still looking forward to my next NCL cruise on Jade in September to check things out for myself. I hope that there are some good shows to go to. I love doing dinner and a show at night. I guess I am an older cruiser though. Turning 60 soon, but I would hope that NCL still wants my business for the next 15 to 20 years! Great entertainment is a way to keep me around.

I think that many of the younger cruisers do enjoy the Broadway style production shows. The two production shows we went to on Meraviglia were very well attended and the crowd had people of all ages.  On another recent cruise of ours I noticed some younger adult cruisers who  were amazed by the live shows. It was clear to me that some of them had never really seen a live show like that before and found it exciting.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Cruising Lynne said:

I guess that's why I enjoyed my cruise on MSC Meraviglia. The 80's were a fun time for some of us. I am still looking forward to my next NCL cruise on Jade in September to check things out for myself. I hope that there are some good shows to go to. I love doing dinner and a show at night. I guess I am an older cruiser though. Turning 60 soon, but I would hope that NCL still wants my business for the next 15 to 20 years! Great entertainment is a way to keep me around.

I think that many of the younger cruisers do enjoy the Broadway style production shows. The two production shows we went to on Meraviglia were very well attended and the crowd had people of all ages.  On another recent cruise of ours I noticed some younger adult cruisers who  were amazed by the live shows. It was clear to me that some of them had never really seen a live show like that before and found it exciting.

Hate to be the one to lower your expectations, but I fear you may be disappointed with entertainment on the Jade. Do not get me wrong, I love NCL's smaller ships (been on some of them) and Jade is actually my all time favourite having sailed on it four times. I have always felt that while the vessel itself is a lovely lady regarding size and layout, the entertainment on hear has never been the best you can find on the seas. As mentioned, things are changing right now and I have no idea about how they will be on your itinerary. Until now it was Blazing Boots (gone from what I have heard) and Elements (soon to go also from what I have heard). The rest have always been guest performers (comedians, magicians, musicians) which can be hit or miss. So, I hope you enjoy being on that lady as much as I have, but my expectations regarding entertainment would not be too high.

• Like 1

I, too, do not understand the definition of the "contemporary cruiser".   I would think my two young adult children, ages 24 and 25 would fall into the category.  However, they have always and still do enjoy the Broadway style shows and have no interest whatsoever, as their parents, in the game shows.  The were also disappointed last month in the food changes from their last cruise the year before.    

• Like 5

On 6/23/2024 at 5:30 PM, luv2kroooz said:

Notwithstanding, go over to Royal Caribbean where they have amazing broadway style shows week in and week out. Large cast, large budget, large guest satisfaction.

I guess RCL is "not evolving" and ignoring the "contemporary cruiser". If you prefer stagnant, tried and tested Broadway style shows, I would recommend Royal Caribbean. To each their own.

Except the RCL is also "evolving" and moving away from Broadway style shows due to the costs and licensing fees.  They put no show on Wonder, did Wizard of Oz on Icon only because they had already had it in production and I understand had limited licensing fees due to age of the source material, and put no Broadway style show on Utopia.  They also recently "parted ways" with their head of entertainment, Nick Weir.  The writing is on the wall for big expensive productions.  I do admit, RCL does seem to have committed to try to develop more "in-house" shows (rather than trot out paid for game shows), but the entertainment quality is going down-hill there.  Their internally developed "Effectors" stage show is atrocious.  What keeps RCL a bit ahead of the game is their unique venues (ice arenas and aqua theaters) and implementation of technology that still gives some element of "wow" when the storyline and/or performances are lacking.

Edited by ocdb8r

3 hours ago, vacation44 said:

I, too, do not understand the definition of the "contemporary cruiser".   I would think my two young adult children, ages 24 and 25 would fall into the category.  However, they have always and still do enjoy the Broadway style shows and have no interest whatsoever, as their parents, in the game shows.  The were also disappointed last month in the food changes from their last cruise the year before.    

I don’t really think “contemporary cruiser” applies to NCL at all. That sounds much more like Virgin to me. Perhaps NCL is trying to get some of their customers to try?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Distinctive-Destinations said:

Isn’t that what you wrote? I quoted you.

Yep, obviously a misstatement by me. Look if you want to come on here and correct me, feel free. On the other hand, if you just want to ask Mickey Mouse questions and play gotcha games, then that is against the spirit of these boards and I have no interest in engaging with you. Have a blessed productive day 

Edited by luv2kroooz
  • Like 2

Just off of an Oceania cruise, and a senior member of the staff (who was previously with NCL for years) told us that they are doing away with the Broadway shows not because of lack of attendance or changing tastes, but because the companies that they have to pay to have the shows on board have raised the licensing costs to an exorbitant rate. He said the cost to keep the shows was way more than NCL wanted to pay, which is why they are developing their own shows in house for the future. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, AlmiranteChurruca said:

Hate to be the one to lower your expectations, but I fear you may be disappointed with entertainment on the Jade. Do not get me wrong, I love NCL's smaller ships (been on some of them) and Jade is actually my all time favourite having sailed on it four times. I have always felt that while the vessel itself is a lovely lady regarding size and layout, the entertainment on hear has never been the best you can find on the seas. As mentioned, things are changing right now and I have no idea about how they will be on your itinerary. Until now it was Blazing Boots (gone from what I have heard) and Elements (soon to go also from what I have heard). The rest have always been guest performers (comedians, magicians, musicians) which can be hit or miss. So, I hope you enjoy being on that lady as much as I have, but my expectations regarding entertainment would not be too high.

I am glad yo hear that you have enjoyed sailing on Jade. Yes, I will have to adjust my expectations. I have enjoyed Elements and Blazing Boots in the past, but after seeing each a few times, I wouldn't mind some new productions. I enjoy the NCL production shows almost as much as the actual licensed Broadway shows. I guess I do not actually always prefer Broadway shows. Six was good, but felt long to me. Not on NCL, but I also did not enjoy Cats. My expectations were way too high with that one. LOL

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Cruising Lynne said:

I am glad yo hear that you have enjoyed sailing on Jade. Yes, I will have to adjust my expectations.

The Jade is also our favorite ship, for many reasons. Entertainment, however, is not one of them. On our recent cruise they had a trombonist (seriously) who was lame. They also had a hypnotist who was annoying (and lame). Elements and the magician were fine, and they (for a change) had a comedian who was actually pretty funny. 

But if you're looking for great entertainment, you need to look elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, samiam0403 said:

the companies that they have to pay to have the shows on board have raised the licensing costs to an exorbitant rate. He said the cost to keep the shows was way more than NCL wanted to pay, which is why they are developing their own shows in house for the future. 

that makes sense to me. They are developing their own shows and as this takes a few years the fill the time in between with some cheap and easy-to-produce stuff.

Time will tell and in 3-4 Years we will see what the outcome is.

Only thing is that NCL will promote it as "the revolution in entertainment" and "incredible raise in entertainment quality" without mentioning that they already had that in the past.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Cruising Lynne said:

We first sailed MSC 2016 and entertainment was good then in US but was trying to fit a wide variety of Nationalities.  They've adjusted some and we have nine or ten sailings down and main shows always packed.

I guess I look at all the ads out there on TV.  Many, especially when you listen to music, are from 80s.  Must be someone they are going after.  Cruise ads seem to be a younger age except some do the multi generational thing.

• Like 1

Maybe they could bring back that couple that was always on the Dawn from Boston to Bermuda.  They seemed to be popular based on folks here asking about them.  We even sailed with them and they were pretty good and probably low cost.  Plus they probably shared a room.

If less is more, maybe find the guy we had on DCL Wish.  He wore a fancy tux (placate those who like formal wear), sang, did comedy, and had one of those talking dolls - all in one show.  That covered the 4 year old contemporary cruiser all the way to gramps.  Plus he had a late night raunchy version.

• Haha 1