Canceling massage on board that was booked before cruise in cruise planner?

I booked a massage in Cruse Planner four months before our cruise.  It's for 4 days from now.  I'm on board now and tried to cancel it at the spa desk and she said I can't because it was booked pre-cruise.  She said it's in the rules when you make the reservation but I don't have access to that now 🙂.  Can anyone confirm this is true?  She said I'd only get 50% back if I did cancel. 

Worst case scenario I'm getting a massage but I'd also love to get my money back if it's possible.  I know the spa is very sales-pushy so I wasn't sure if this was just a tactic used hoping people don't push back (I didn't because I wanted to confirm the rules).

29 minutes ago, CruiseMelissa said:

I booked a massage in Cruse Planner four months before our cruise.  It's for 4 days from now.  I'm on board now and tried to cancel it at the spa desk and she said I can't because it was booked pre-cruise.  She said it's in the rules when you make the reservation but I don't have access to that now 🙂.  Can anyone confirm this is true?  She said I'd only get 50% back if I did cancel. 

Worst case scenario I'm getting a massage but I'd also love to get my money back if it's possible.  I know the spa is very sales-pushy so I wasn't sure if this was just a tactic used hoping people don't push back (I didn't because I wanted to confirm the rules).

48 hours prior to the time of the massage (should be the same as a shore excursion).  Go to guest services instead of the spa.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

3 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

48 hours prior to the time of the massage (should be the same as a shore excursion).  Go to guest services instead of the spa.

Guest Services called the spa to cancel and she repeated what she told him to me and he put me on the phone with her,  she said without a medical reason I can't cancel without losing 50% so I guess that's that.. bummer

7 minutes ago, CruiseMelissa said:

Guest Services called the spa to cancel and she repeated what she told him to me and he put me on the phone with her,  she said without a medical reason I can't cancel without losing 50% so I guess that's that.. bummer

It does not sound right AT ALL!

Ask to speak to a manager!

Ask for a written confirmation - send a mail to Bailey and complain - you should get an answer within 2 days!

35 minutes ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

Ask for a written confirmation - send a mail to Bailey and complain - you should get an answer within 2 days!

Royal has very little to do with the Spa. It is run by a third party company that sets it own rules and policies. A lot like the Royal Up program, a third party that has almost total control of polices. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, CruiseMelissa said:

Send an e mail to mbayley@rccl.com.  Guest services should have cancelled it for you instead of going back to the spa manager.

Make sure to let them know you were cancelling it 4 days in advance

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Send an e mail to mbayley@rccl.com.  Guest services should have cancelled it for you instead of going back to the spa manager.

Make sure to let them know you were cancelling it 4 days in advance

Exactly! A guest services fail! That is why I suggested to speak to the GS manager!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, CruiseMelissa said:

I had the opposite happen.  I booked a massage at a discounted price on cruise planner and they couldn't find my reservation even though I showed them my confirmation email.   

They tried to tell me they could not honor that price as it never made it to their booking/schedule.

After a lot of back and forth they ended up giving me deal that was better than what I booked.

Don't give up, if your appt is more than 48 hours out then yes you should definitely be able to cancel and get a full refund.

Sorry you are going through this aggravation.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CruiseMelissa said:

Not true... DW has cancelled them on several occasions.  They were always booked pre cruise in the cruise planner.  She always got a full refund in the form of  OBC on our ship board account.  As @Ourusualbeach said... go to guest services.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

This👆👆👆

Talk to the GS manager.  Absolutely unacceptable.

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

Not true... DW has cancelled them on several occasions.  They were always booked pre cruise in the cruise planner.  She always got a full refund in the form of  OBC on our ship board account.  As @Ourusualbeach said... go to guest services.  

I tried,  they called the spa to try to cancel, the spa told GS I couldn't without a 50% penalty and then he put me on the phone with her which was a little awkward because she just repeated what she told me earlier.  The GS employee said the spa has their own policy so now I think I'm stuck?

28 minutes ago, CruiseMelissa said:

The GS employee said the spa has their own policy so now I think I'm stuck?

I just tried a dummy booking. There is no mention of a 50% cancelation policy, but there is just enough CYA verbiage that they might be able to justify it:

"Onboard and destination experiences, features, itineraries, and guest conduct rules vary by ship and destination and are subject to change without notice.

... Additional fees may apply to booking changes or cancellations. ... Royal Caribbean International reserves the right to correct any errors, inaccuracies, or omissions and to change or update fares, fees and surcharges at any time without prior notice."

That being said, I think you have a good argument if it's worth it to you to fight it--only you can decide if it's worth the aggravation. Sorry it's been such a negative experience for you. 😞 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

I just tried a dummy booking. There is no mention of a 50% cancelation policy, but there is just enough CYA verbiage that they might be able to justify it:

"Onboard and destination experiences, features, itineraries, and guest conduct rules vary by ship and destination and are subject to change without notice.

... Additional fees may apply to booking changes or cancellations. ... Royal Caribbean International reserves the right to correct any errors, inaccuracies, or omissions and to change or update fares, fees and surcharges at any time without prior notice."

That being said, I think you have a good argument if it's worth it to you to fight it--only you can decide if it's worth the aggravation. Sorry it's been such a negative experience for you. 😞 

I really really appreciate you looking into this for me!  I feel like I'm pretty "in the know" with RC stuff so this was a surprise.  Like you said,  it may be not worth precious cruise time to fight this given the alternative is just getting the massage 🙂

Thanks again!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

Where did you find this?  I just looked in my cruise planner and didn't see it?

I wish I could say I'd be shocked if RCI's web pages had differing information. 🤣 Mine was at the bottom of the 50-minute Swedish massage for my upcoming Symphony cruise. The bold font and italics are mine.

Edited by la_croisiere_s'amuse

Pretty sure this is the generic language (or similar) that is at the bottom of many (most? all?) cruise planner offerings.

Here’s an example from the Coco Beach club day pass on my 12/28/24 Oasis sailing:

Additional fees may apply to booking changes or cancellations. Prices and offers are subject to availability and change without notice, capacity controlled, and may be withdrawn at any time. Royal Caribbean International reserves the right to correct any errors, inaccuracies, or omissions and to change or update fares, fees and surcharges at any time without prior notice.”

15 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I had the opposite happen.  I booked a massage at a discounted price on cruise planner and they couldn't find my reservation even though I showed them my confirmation email.   

They tried to tell me they could not honor that price as it never made it to their booking/schedule.

After a lot of back and forth they ended up giving me deal that was better than what I booked.

Don't give up, if your appt is more than 48 hours out then yes you should definitely be able to cancel and get a full refund.

Sorry you are going through this aggravation.

The refund when cancelling a spa cruise planner purchase onboard is usually in OBC, in our experience.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Not true... DW has cancelled them on several occasions.  They were always booked pre cruise in the cruise planner.  She always got a full refund in the form of  OBC on our ship board account.   

That has been our experience as well.

• Like 2