Zuiderdam - Deck 8 Noise from above

I would like to hear from folks who have actually been on deck 8 and what their experiences were.  I would love to get a signature suite for the world cruise but DH is concerned about upstairs noise.  We want mid-ship.  We were on the Koningsdam a couple of years ago and could hear the carts going back and forth in the morning above us.  It was annoying.

I know there are signature suites on deck 7 but they are the higher category ones, we're just interested in knowing about the deck 8 noise, in case that's where we end up.  I saw that Inside Cabin was on deck 8 last world cruise, he didn't mention noise but I didn't mention it when I was on the Koningsdam either.

Thanks.

Make a copy of the deck plans of both Deck 8 & 9 & lay one on top of the other....try to determine what's above the cabin you're interested in.  We were in a cabin, on the Zuidy I think, that was under a small uncarpeted area of the Lido.  Every night around 9:30 or 10 we were treated to either table or chair scraping....didn't last long but still annoying.

I was in a mid ship deck 8 SS on the Oosterdam.  You could definitely hear the carts in the morning.  It did not bother me; I am an early riser.  More annoying was the connecting cabin.  I could hear their TV late into the night.

• Like 1

I spent over 150 days in cabin 8070 - Here is my video review.   You can hear the Lido trollies early and late - but the sound quickly blended into the background.    No worse than distant freeway noise if you live in the city or loud crickets if you live in the country.

BUT --  If you found it annoying on the Koningsdam - you will probably find it annoying on the Z.   It didn't bother me - but I used to sleep under catapults on aircraft carriers...😀

Here is another Point of View - they didn't like it one  bit - I booked my cabin after watching the video

Another one - no mention of noise

• Like 1

Thanks for the info.  I honestly didn’t think it was that bad, I only noticed it in the morning and then a little at night too.  My husband is very noise sensitive.  

I really appreciate the video reviews that might sway him.

And yes, a loud tv next door is far more annoying 😀.  That can happen on any deck.  I never looked to see if closed caption was available on those sets, that might help with the hard of hearing.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Cruise NH said:

I would like to hear from folks who have actually been on deck 8 and what their experiences were.  I would love to get a signature suite for the world cruise but DH is concerned about upstairs noise.  We want mid-ship.  We were on the Koningsdam a couple of years ago and could hear the carts going back and forth in the morning above us.  It was annoying.

I know there are signature suites on deck 7 but they are the higher category ones, we're just interested in knowing about the deck 8 noise, in case that's where we end up.  I saw that Inside Cabin was on deck 8 last world cruise, he didn't mention noise but I didn't mention it when I was on the Koningsdam either.

Thanks.

Just my fifty cents.

I am no expert but to me it sounds like you will be going for an SS guarantee, is it not possible/cheaper to book with C.O. and chose the cabin you want. In some cases this option is cheaper but not always and it might not be available/possible on a world cruise. 

Happy planning with whatever you choose.

12 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I had a SS guarantee - I got 8070

Looking at the deck plans I see that's an SY. Could they possibly consider SY an upgrade from SS? We had considered getting an SS guarantee last January, to avoid being on Deck 8, glad we didn't.

19 minutes ago, Wehwalt said:

Looking at the deck plans I see that's an SY. Could they possibly consider SY an upgrade from SS? We had considered getting an SS guarantee last January, to avoid being on Deck 8, glad we didn't.

I stand corrected.   We had a SY.    Deck 6 was more expensive than deck 8.   We actually prefer deck 8 as the noise is a non factor for us and we are closer to the Lido. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

We actually prefer deck 8 as the noise is a non factor for us and we are closer to the Lido. 

Me too!  I had an aft cabin on deck 5 of the NS in March and it was a long trek up the stairs to the Seaview pool to enjoy my coffee in the am.

We booked SY8094 for our cruise in December, primarily for location and the slighly larger balcony. I am aware of the noise potential, but DH can sleep through a thunderstorm, while I'm a light sleeper, though stay asleep better on a cruise than at home. We've encountered all night party folks in adjacent cabins, and crazy drunks organizing races along the corridors at 2: am. If the crew are moving food carts in the wee hours to prepare my breakfast, that's fine with me. 

Darcy

5 hours ago, WatchHill said:

We booked SY8094 for our cruise in December, primarily for location and the slighly larger balcony. I am aware of the noise potential, but DH can sleep through a thunderstorm, while I'm a light sleeper, though stay asleep better on a cruise than at home. We've encountered all night party folks in adjacent cabins, and crazy drunks organizing races along the corridors at 2: am. If the crew are moving food carts in the wee hours to prepare my breakfast, that's fine with me. 

Darcy

I like your attitude!