Cruisetour, Captain Cook, Luggage - Two Questions

Sea Hag

We're booked on a short cruisetour in August that starts with two nights at the Captain Cook. We have Princess transfers from the airport and will probably be at the Captain Cook by 2:30 or 3:00. Check in time is 4:00, and I just got email from Princess reinforcing the notion that "your tour starts at 4:00." My major question is this. Does anybody know if we can leave our luggage at the Captain Cook and wander off somewhere else before check in time? I tried searches and sifts and can't find that info.

My minor question is this. When we turn our luggage over to Princess staff before boarding the bus to Whittier, will it just turn up in our cabin or do we need to collect it and hand it off to ports at the pier? Not a big deal either way, but I like to know things. 🙂

19 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

We're booked on a short cruisetour in August that starts with two nights at the Captain Cook. We have Princess transfers from the airport and will probably be at the Captain Cook by 2:30 or 3:00. Check in time is 4:00, and I just got email from Princess reinforcing the notion that "your tour starts at 4:00." My major question is this. Does anybody know if we can leave our luggage at the Captain Cook and wander off somewhere else before check in time? I tried searches and sifts and can't find that info.

My minor question is this. When we turn our luggage over to Princess staff before boarding the bus to Whittier, will it just turn up in our cabin or do we need to collect it and hand it off to ports at the pier? Not a big deal either way, but I like to know things. 🙂

1) yes, they'll store your luggage for the short time you're off checking the surrounding area.

2) yes, it's transferred to the ship/cabin (take your hand luggage). You'll get tags to do so (or print your luggage tags before leaving on your tour).  This was my experience - YMMV.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The Captain Cook is a very nice hotel by Anchorage standards. Customer service is outstanding. They will definitely hold your luggage and if they can, check you in sooner if possible. I was very pleased with my stay there.

Your luggage should transfer to the ship.

Edited by Coral

15 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

1) yes, they'll store your luggage for the short time you're off checking the surrounding area.

2) yes, it's transferred to the ship/cabin (take your hand luggage). You'll get tags to do so (or print your luggage tags before leaving on your tour).  This was my experience - YMMV.

3 minutes ago, Coral said:

The Captain Cook is a very nice hotel by Anchorage standards. Customer service is outstanding. They will definitely hold your luggage and if they can, check you in sooner if possible. I was very pleased with my stay there.

Your luggage should transfer to the ship.

Thanks, both of you. Very good to know. 😃

When we did our tour last year we stayed one night there before going to the lodges.  We also had a princess transfer from the airport.  we gave our luggage to the driver of the bus.  once we got to the Cook hotel we pointed to which were ours (as they went to another hotel as well) and they took ALL of the folks luggage for our tour group and said they would arrive in our rooms in the hotel.  so last we saw them on the sidewalk and next was when the bellhop brought them to our rooms some time later. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

Are you doing the Katmai cruisetour?

1 hour ago, jean-lynd said:

Are you doing the Katmai cruisetour?

We're doing the 9 day Katmai with bear watching at Brooks. The August 5th one.

We are doing the Northbound 9 day with Katmai on the Royal Princess - we will be at Katmai on 7/21. Still trying to figure out all of the logistics for the land portion. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

https://www.princess.com/en-us/faq/cruisetours#alaska-cruisetours

"Join Me Tonight" Luggage
You are allowed one piece of "Join Me Tonight" baggage per person on the land portion of your cruisetour. You will simply pack one bag and place luggage where instructed. Our handlers will pick it up and deliver it to your room at the next overnight location on your land tour.

• This bag will be transported separately from you and will not be accessible during transit.
  • Items to put in this bag include clothing, sleepwear, nonessential toiletries, extra shoes and anything else you might need at your hotel but do not need access to during the day.

"Join Me Onboard" Luggage (for guests who cruise after their land tour)

• Guests who cruise after their land tour should pack a separate bag for items they will not need on land.
  • This bag is perfect for the items you may need on your cruise but will not need on your land tour, such as formal wear, dress shoes, or dinner jackets. On the land portion of your cruisetour, the dress code is always casual so there is no need for any formal wear.
  • All luggage is delivered to the first destination on your land itinerary. Upon departure from that city, the "Join Me Onboard" tagged bags will be securely stored until they are delivered to your stateroom onboard.

51 minutes ago, upsmanclt said:

https://www.princess.com/en-us/faq/cruisetours#alaska-cruisetours

"Join Me Tonight" Luggage
You are allowed one piece of "Join Me Tonight" baggage per person on the land portion of your cruisetour. You will simply pack one bag and place luggage where instructed. Our handlers will pick it up and deliver it to your room at the next overnight location on your land tour.

• This bag will be transported separately from you and will not be accessible during transit.
  • Items to put in this bag include clothing, sleepwear, nonessential toiletries, extra shoes and anything else you might need at your hotel but do not need access to during the day.

"Join Me Onboard" Luggage (for guests who cruise after their land tour)

• Guests who cruise after their land tour should pack a separate bag for items they will not need on land.
  • This bag is perfect for the items you may need on your cruise but will not need on your land tour, such as formal wear, dress shoes, or dinner jackets. On the land portion of your cruisetour, the dress code is always casual so there is no need for any formal wear.
  • All luggage is delivered to the first destination on your land itinerary. Upon departure from that city, the "Join Me Onboard" tagged bags will be securely stored until they are delivered to your stateroom onboard.

Thanks for posting, but I think most of this doesn't really apply to this short cruisetour. It's just a night in Anchorage, day at Brooks, night anchorage, go to ship. We've done longer ones where the "Join Me Onboard" applied, but if it does on this one it's going to be a surprise since none of the info shows anything like that. I guess I'll find out!

1 hour ago, jean-lynd said:

We are doing the Northbound 9 day with Katmai on the Royal Princess - we will be at Katmai on 7/21. Still trying to figure out all of the logistics for the land portion. 

I've spent some time looking at restaurants that are walking distance from the Captain Cook. There's a really interesting looking dumpling place just across the street, if you like casual. Anchorage Pel’meni is the name. They don't seem to have a website but they do have a Facebook presence. We plan to go there for a meal. 

I looked on the Alaska board here for posts from people who've gone to Brooks. They speak highly! I'm really looking forward to this. 😃

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

I've spent some time looking at restaurants that are walking distance from the Captain Cook. There's a really interesting looking dumpling place just across the street, if you like casual. Anchorage Pel’meni is the name. They don't seem to have a website but they do have a Facebook presence. We plan to go there for a meal. 

I looked on the Alaska board here for posts from people who've gone to Brooks. They speak highly! I'm really looking forward to this. 😃

I'm trying to figure out what to do about breakfast the morning we fly to Katmai. I think we will have to leave before the restaurants at Captain Cook are open. Do you watch the webcams of the bears in the park?

2 hours ago, jean-lynd said:

I'm trying to figure out what to do about breakfast the morning we fly to Katmai. I think we will have to leave before the restaurants at Captain Cook are open. Do you watch the webcams of the bears in the park?

We too are doing the Northbound but on the Grand and will be heading to Katmai on July 11.

I've also been looking at what to do for breakfast and according to the Captain Cook website The Pantry is open from 5:30am for breakfast and room service for hotel guests. I also looked at places close to the Captain Cook and none of them seem to open early enough.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruisingSandgroper said:

We too are doing the Northbound but on the Grand and will be heading to Katmai on July 11.

I've also been looking at what to do for breakfast and according to the Captain Cook website The Pantry is open from 5:30am for breakfast and room service for hotel guests. I also looked at places close to the Captain Cook and none of them seem to open early enough.

I have found the "New City Market" at 900 W 13th Ave that is open til 9 at night. I think we will walk there Saturday after we get checked in and pick up some breakfast food for Sunday morning. It's about a half mile walk.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Coral said:

The Captain Cook is a very nice hotel by Anchorage standards. Customer service is outstanding.

I lived there in Anchorage for 20 years, and Captain Cook is (at least it used to be) a wonderful hotel!  I have some great memories of their restaurants and dancing at what used to be "The Whale's Tail".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ecs66 said:

I lived there in Anchorage for 20 years, and Captain Cook is (at least it used to be) a wonderful hotel!  I have some great memories of their restaurants and dancing at what used to be "The Whale's Tail".

I love the nautical theme. I found the service amazing when I was there. 

My room was not exceptional but it was fine for my purposes. 

This would definitely be my first choice of a hotel when returning to Anchorage.

13 hours ago, jean-lynd said:

I've decided on Snow City Cafe for breakfast. It opens at 6:30 and has full breakfasts and also things like muffins and scones. It's a very short walk from the Captain Cook. Snow City Cafe

Yes, I've been watching the webcams at Brooks for several years. So nice! 😃

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

I've decided on Snow City Cafe for breakfast. It opens at 6:30 and has full breakfasts and also things like muffins and scones. It's a very short walk from the Captain Cook. Snow City Cafe

Yes, I've been watching the webcams at Brooks for several years. So nice! 😃

I have read about snow city cafe. We will probably have breakfast there on Monday. It looks like our plane to King Salmon leaves at 8 but I'm not sure what time they will be picking us up at the hotel. It's only about a 15 minute drive but I don't know how early we have to be at the airport before our flight. I'm thinking we may have to be ready to go by 7.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, jean-lynd said:

I have read about snow city cafe. We will probably have breakfast there on Monday. It looks like our plane to King Salmon leaves at 8 but I'm not sure what time they will be picking us up at the hotel. It's only about a 15 minute drive but I don't know how early we have to be at the airport before our flight. I'm thinking we may have to be ready to go by 7.

I took another look at my travel summary, and I think you're right. I think we'll be picked up too early for Snow City Cafe to work. On to good ole Alternate Plan B. 😂

Edited by Sea Hag

12 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

I took another look at my travel summary, and I think you're right. I think we'll be picked up too early for Snow City Cafe to work. On to good ole Alternate Plan B. 😂

Always good to have a plan B! I'm watching 747 on the cams right now!

17 minutes ago, jean-lynd said:

Always good to have a plan B! I'm watching 747 on the cams right now!

Oh, I don't have a plan B yet. I'm just working on getting one so I don't need to deal with a hangry hubby on the excursion. 😂 

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

I just read the Katmai Air travel itinerary and it says we need to be at the airport an hour ahead of time so now I am thinking we will be leaving the hotel by 6:30. So I guess we are stuck picking up something the night before.

Edited by jean-lynd

17 minutes ago, jean-lynd said:

I just read the Katmai Air travel itinerary and it says we need to be at the airport an hour ahead of time so now I am thinking we will be leaving the hotel by 6:30. So I guess we are stuck picking up something the night before.

Do you find that info in your Princess information or on the Katmai Air site? I don't doubt it (sounds reasonable) but I can't find it.