Main Dining Room surcharge ?

bob&france

Last time on MSC was too many years ago to remember all the details…but i was talking to an MSC phone rep and they confirmed that there is a surcharge in the event you wanted 2 entrees, meal, or desserts…..in the MDR…although when pushed for details regarding amounts or policy ( to read) the rep couldn’t come up with anything…

Has anyone experienced this or could anyone guide me as to where I might find something from MSC on the subject ?

Many thanks…..Bob

The surcharge is only for entree. You can have as many appetizers and desserts as you want. However I don’t know if they are actually charging it. This currently is only on sailings from the US. EM

• Like 1

On U.S sailings the menu says there is a $5 charge for second or more entrees.  Not sure of the exact wording, and no one here has verified if it's $5 for each entree after first or a one time $5 for anything after first.  You can order the pasta or risotto, and presumably the salad that is offered as an entree as a starter in addition to your entree without incurring the charge.  Same is true for any of the pastas that are in the always available section of the menu.  Experience has been that ordering as a starter still results in a full portion size.b

• Thanks 1

For what it’s worth, when I was on MSC Meraviglia back in May, on one night I ordered the pasta as a starter.  No charge.

On formal night, wife and I each ordered lobster, and we also ordered a filet off the main menu to share (not the “steakhouse” filet.). I mentioned to the server that we understood there was a charge and we were okay with it; we were not charged.

Needless to say, we tipped extra on this trip!

Jim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, gizfish said:

You can order the pasta or risotto, and presumably the salad that is offered as an entree as a starter in addition to your entree without incurring the charge.  Same is true for any of the pastas that are in the always available section of the menu.  Experience has been that ordering as a starter still results in a full portion size.b

Great idea; thank you! I never thought to ask for the pasta or risotto as a starter. I will try that next time. 

I will say though, I never left the dining room hungry, and I always only ordered one entree. I did order two or three starters and at least three desserts each night 😀

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, gizfish said:

On U.S sailings the menu says there is a $5 charge for second or more entrees.  Not sure of the exact wording, and no one here has verified if it's $5 for each entree after first or a one time $5 for anything after first.  You can order the pasta or risotto, and presumably the salad that is offered as an entree as a starter in addition to your entree without incurring the charge.  Same is true for any of the pastas that are in the always available section of the menu.  Experience has been that ordering as a starter still results in a full portion size.b

We had a different experience. Was on Meraviglia a few weeks ago in June and the waiter wanted to charge me for ordering a pasta as a starter. I said that I was ordering it as a starter, but he said it didn't matter. If it was listed under the entree section, it's an extra fee. I passed on the pasta. Did not want it bad enough to warrant speaking with a manager or paying an extra $ fee.

Edited by BazingAu
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BazingAu said:

We had a different experience. Was on Meraviglia a few weeks ago in June and the waiter wanted to charge me for ordering a pasta as a starter. I said that I was ordering it as a starter, but he said it didn't matter. If it was listed under the entree section, it's an extra fee. I passed on the pasta. Did not want it bad enough to warrant speaking with a manager or paying an extra $ fee.

That really stinks! Sorry to hear that! I guess that some waiters are more lenient than others.

I'm still going to try it next time that I'm on a MSC Cruises vessel.

Edited by TheBeardedCruiser

33 minutes ago, TheBeardedCruiser said:

That really stinks! Sorry to hear that! I guess that some waiters are more lenient than others.

I'm still going to try it next time that I'm on a MSC Cruises vessel.

Doesn’t hurt to try! 

• Thanks 1

I asked my waitress tonight if it was $5 each extra, and she said yes.  She said she would treat me if I wanted, but I said I was only asking for info, I have trouble finishing one entree.  EM

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

I asked my waitress tonight if it was $5 each extra, and she said yes.  She said she would treat me if I wanted, but I said I was only asking for info, I have trouble finishing one entree.  EM

Thank you for collecting data and investigate!  It is v helpful.

On 6/27/2024 at 12:18 AM, BazingAu said:

My guess, which only is a guess, is that if you order an extra entree, even if you call it a starter, it's an extra fee.

Of course a manager could be nice to you but if there is an extra fee for a second entree, what would you expect the manager to do?

21 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

My guess, which only is a guess, is that if you order an extra entree, even if you call it a starter, it's an extra fee.

Of course a manager could be nice to you but if there is an extra fee for a second entree, what would you expect the manager to do?

The consensus here and also from personal experience is that the person who had the waiter say no to the starter was not having the usual experience.  It's part of Italian culture to have a small pasta as a separate course.  If the kitchen decides to give a regular size portion even though the starter was requested, that's not the diners problem.  Personally I would have requested to speak with the waters supervisor since the request was not out of the ordinary and it seems the waiter was misinformed or just didn't want to get the extra plate.

57 minutes ago, gizfish said:

The consensus here and also from personal experience is that the person who had the waiter say no to the starter was not having the usual experience.  It's part of Italian culture to have a small pasta as a separate course.  If the kitchen decides to give a regular size portion even though the starter was requested, that's not the diners problem.  Personally I would have requested to speak with the waters supervisor since the request was not out of the ordinary and it seems the waiter was misinformed or just didn't want to get the extra plate.

The pasta dish was listed as an entree so the correct thing should be to charge for it. I agree about the Italian culture but then the dish shouldn't be listed as an entree.

2 hours ago, gizfish said:

If the kitchen decides to give a regular size portion even though the starter was requested, that's not the diners problem.  

Are you american? If yes, is it normal in america to be able to request an entree as a starter and then they make it smaller? If yes I understand what you mean. Here a starter is a starter and an entree is an entree so to order an entree as a starter and get it smaller is normally not possible. 

6 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

Are you american? If yes, is it normal in america to be able to request an entree as a starter and then they make it smaller? If yes I understand what you mean. Here a starter is a starter and an entree is an entree so to order an entree as a starter and get it smaller is normally not possible. 

I work in a restaurant in the United States and people will order a pasta or risotto entree for a appetizer quite often.  We usually charge a reduced amount for it unless they request a full portion, which is usually meant to be shared by everyone at the table.  

3 hours ago, thistimeplease said:

I work in a restaurant in the United States and people will order a pasta or risotto entree for a appetizer quite often.  We usually charge a reduced amount for it unless they request a full portion, which is usually meant to be shared by everyone at the table.  

So that is how it works in the US. Here it's different so noone expects to be able to order an entree as a starter without paying the full price for it.

Such a topic never ceases to amaze me.

We're talking about a $5 charge in a country where $5 barely covers a coffee.

Maybe someone could start smuggling some food in his pockets or set up a black market trade for entree across different tables 😂

Jokes aside, I've never seen so much food wasted as I have during my multiple stay in the U.S., so I'm inclined to think that this policy is meant to curb over-ordering.

If anyone is genuinely starving after a full meal, I'm pretty sure they can manage to shell out an extra $5

• Haha 1

Just got off the seashore.  Menu does say you'll be charged, but I ordered two entrees on gala night and wasn't charged.  I never spoke on it with the waiter.  I was fully expecting to get charged but never was