Mani pedi for 12 yr old daughter

Nikki483

Hi there!

My family and I are about to go on a cruise on the Majestic Princess. Since I was planning on visiting the salon/spa anyways, I was thinking of making it a time for her and I to enjoy together. But, everything I’ve read has over 18 or I believe I saw something for 13 years old and up. Does anyone have any insight on this? Thanks in advance!

I know it states a minimum age but I have had a friend that booked for her and her granddaughter for a mani pedi that was accepted.  Her granddaughter is about the age you are stating for your daughter. Not sure if they booked it ahead of time but, it was done.  
So, you may just want to wait until you are onboard.  

My mani/pedi with shellac on the Majestic in May was $175.  They gave me a $50 discount because the ship was in port.  They figured the 18% tip on the $175.  They did a good job and it lasted a month.  I considered going ashore for a better price but figured a taxi to and from a shop would probably cancel any savings.  I only went for the mani/pedi because we were on the ship for over 30 nights.  I was due for one.  

That is such a lovely thought. My daughter is all grown up now but we cruised with both our kids all while they were growing up and I remember when my daughter was a preteen/young teen loving doing special things with her. However, as has been pointed out the spa and salon on Princess are ridiculously overpriced, just ok in terms of services, and not super younger person friendly. 

Here are some things we did that cost nothing in most cases just to give you some potential other fun ideas :

Afternoon Tea - we would go together often as a special Mom, daughter activity. Our boys weren’t interested so something we could do together just us girls. 

Production Shows - My daughter is a theatre girl so we would often go to some of the shows onboard, just the two of us. 

Trivia - we would always scout out the trivia’s that might have more movie, pop culture, Broadway, or for my son history. Both kids had fun actively contributing answers, especially on topics they knew more about them Mom and Dad. 

Shop Charm bracelet promotions - Shops onboard often has a promotion where you can show up at events during your cruise. It’s a promo gimmick to get you in the shops to buy things, and you need to buy the bracelet that holds the charms but it’s super inexpensive. We have several we collected together over the years and it was a lot of fun. 

Scavenger hunts - some of the ships do scavenger hunts - we are just off the Sky and they had a running one on sea days. Again, boys weren’t interested - they were focused on paper plane or egg drop challenge, but daughter and I had fun doing them together. 

Ladies Pamper party - if your ship does this, definitely take your daughter. It’s basically a one hour free spa promotion where they demonstrate a few products on you in a “do it yourself” fashion. Again, sales promo but you don’t have to buy and you and daughter can have fun trying it out together.  Even better, it is totally free. 

End of Cruise clearance bazaar - not all ships always have this, but when they do it’s usually the last sea day from like 10 am to 2 pm and they pull out all the old inventory and lots of it include very inexpensive and fun little things like purses, jewelry, etc. We would always go and scout out something fun for her to buy. Lots of stuff in the $10 to $30 range. It was fun just digging through all the “treasures”.

In room primping afternoon - usually on formal nights we would spend some time together in the afternoon helping each other get prettied up for the evening - nails, curling hair, makeup, dressing up together  which was just as fun as the salon and free!

Hope this helps give you some ideas. I bet you will find lots of ways for special Mom and daughter fun!

• Like 6

My DD (now 17) has had an ongoing tradition of getting a manicure on every cruise. They have "teen services" onboard (you can't book ahead of time) and the price is slightly less. You will need to fill out a waiver, etc so be sure to go with her when booking and to the appointment. They have always done a great job with my kiddo and she looks forward to getting her manicure every cruise!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I suppose such spa expeditions while on a cruise will help someone who is easily bored pass the time, but from everything I’ve heard it is a very expensive way of getting second rate treatment.  Reminiscent, I suppose, of the barbers which used to provide trims for men travelling the Twentieth Century Limited from New York to Chicago.

17 hours ago, arizonaperson said:

@Nikki483 I don’t have the information on the minimum age for the services, but here are a few prices for you. This is just an approximate price ,IMG_9433.thumb.jpeg.a2805b5124935168c372ce045359df16.jpegthey may have gone up since this photo was taken??

wow, that's twice as much for the pedicure compared to our prices. 

I always get my pedicure at a local salon 2 days before the cruise. We travel the day before the cruise, so I get my nails done the day before that. I do my own mani.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1