Bugs in Iceland??

There has been some discussion on our roll call about gnats, midges,etc swarming and making life uncomfortable on tours in Icleand.  Some people are saying yes, others say no.  Anyone here with more realtime experience?  TIA.

Hi

I lived in Keflavik for 3 years while stationed there in the US Navy and have traveled throughout Iceland.  Never experienced a “bug” problem.  May be a seasonal and location concern.   Not a Reykjavik issue.   Having said that, one of the North Coast’s premier attractions is Myvatn (“midge lake”).  Been there, didn’t see midges.  Returning to Myvatn this Sept.  Probably too late (and cold - 40/50 F) for bugs.  If still concerned, you can cheaply ($10 on Amazon) purchase a mesh head net that sits under your hat to keep midges off you face.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks Easporter.  I saw the head meshes on Amazon and $10 for two of them is not a big deal I was just wondering if the problem was real since this was the first I was hearing about it.  When we go in August they are saying temps in the 50s-60s.....

Go Navy, BEAT Army!

Edited by Mr. Click

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Mr. Click said:

There has been some discussion on our roll call about gnats, midges,etc swarming and making life uncomfortable on tours in Icleand.  Some people are saying yes, others say no.  Anyone here with more realtime experience? 

This is an old thread but they are discussed in some detail by members having experienced them in both Iceland and Greenland. There is a LOT of discussion and many of the posts are about Greenland sightseeing which is off your topic, bu you would probably find the posts about bugs interesting to read. and yes, maybe consider head nets.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2812546-qaqortoq-greenland/

Edited by edinburgher
  • Thanks 1

did a few days in Reyk' post cruise last July as well as port day in Isa' .... did Golden Circle. Can't say I remember a single bug .... certainly nothing to get excited about.

Volcanos cook 'em all 😬

• Like 1

Agree that Myvatn is full of midges.  From our first visit to Iceland in 2013 to our most recent one in 2019 we definitely saw more insects later on than earlier.  Locals believe it is due to average temperatures rising due to global warming making the environment more 'bug friendly'

I think the best plan is to treat the netting like I treated my snowblower when I lived where it could snow a lot, sometimes.  I was glad that I had it and could use it when I needed it but if there was no snow, it was still doing the job of keeping me from having to shovel......

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, DavidHRC said:

having a challenge from mosquitos.

They are not mosquitos and do not bite but they can be a nuisance.

Edited by edinburgher

Our last trip it was very windy and rainy at Lake Mytvan so no gnats.  But in Greenland they were swarming.  We used a good coating of DEET wipes on all exposed areas and were not bothered - folks with mesh coverings were annoyed by the gnats on their mesh.  

• Like 1